Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Liquid in #5 and #6 Spark Plug bays

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 07:16 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Liquid in #5 and #6 Spark Plug bays

I think I opened Pandora's Box with this SC3. So for the past few days I have been working on replacing my VCG's, plugs and wires. Well today I pull the spark plug cover off and it is covered in oil and shrapnel from what ever creature was living there. Then I looked at the spark plugs themselves and #5 and #6 are covered in oil and what looks like coolant...WFT! I mean it was literally dripping off of the plugs when I pulled them. I looked into the plug bays and at the bottom of #5 and #6 there is the same crap at the bottom and I have no idea where it came from or how to clean it up, because I cant fit anything down there to clean it.

I dont think it's a big puddle or anything, but I'm worried that it is going to short my new plugs out or worse

What the heck can I do and should I be worried about the car not starting?
Old 07-15-08, 10:42 PM
deruvian
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Shrapnel"

I'm not sure about the coolant, but my plugs were covered in oil too. It's from the valve cover gasket leaking like a pro, filling the plug wells, and as you unscrew the plugs the oil works its way through the threads and covers the plug.

I don't think it's possible for there to be coolant on your plugs, along with oil, and have the car still run. If there was coolant all over your plugs you'd have much bigger problems right now. Did the car run before you started all this work? Run well? No overheating? No white steam coming out of the exhaust?
Old 07-16-08, 06:35 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

if there is coolant in there check the throttle body coolant line under the throttle body to see if there are hooked up properly or if the line is leaking. I had this line leak on me a while back and with momentum from driving around the coolant ended up in cyl. #6. Sucked out the coolant with a vacuum, had the coolant line replaced and all the spark plug wires replaced as well. If it's not the coolant lines you might be looking at a busted head gasket...
Old 07-16-08, 10:40 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deruvian
"Shrapnel"

I'm not sure about the coolant, but my plugs were covered in oil too. It's from the valve cover gasket leaking like a pro, filling the plug wells, and as you unscrew the plugs the oil works its way through the threads and covers the plug.

I don't think it's possible for there to be coolant on your plugs, along with oil, and have the car still run. If there was coolant all over your plugs you'd have much bigger problems right now. Did the car run before you started all this work? Run well? No overheating? No white steam coming out of the exhaust?

Car was running fine then it stopped starting, so I decided to replace the VCG's, Plugs/wires, and starter. There was no smoke or anything, the 5/6 plugs were dripping at the end of them, but all the rest were fine.

if there is coolant in there check the throttle body coolant line under the throttle body to see if there are hooked up properly or if the line is leaking. I had this line leak on me a while back and with momentum from driving around the coolant ended up in cyl. #6. Sucked out the coolant with a vacuum, had the coolant line replaced and all the spark plug wires replaced as well. If it's not the coolant lines you might be looking at a busted head gasket...
It might just be watered down oil, but it is brownish/clear with a small hint of green..................wow it sounded like I was writing a recipe lol. I just looked at the coolant line above the #5/#6 plugs and there is a small hole in it

So I'm replacing the hose and HOPING to god the car runs fine. I just need this engine to last me until the end of winter when it gets swapped out.

I'm guessing there is no way to clean that up huh?
Old 07-16-08, 01:08 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

best way to clean it up is like i said before, hook up a shop vacuum with a hose that can fit through the spark plug hole and suck it all out. That's what my mechanic did when this happened to me.