Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

State of California- legal engine options

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-08, 10:11 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RX7 RAGE
cams, fuel injectors, and turbos
..and EGR.
Old 07-20-08, 07:55 PM
Ac93sc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cams, fuel injectors, turbos and egr. Thats it, sounds pretty easy converting.
Since this is CA state inquiry question, do we need to use a USDM Vin # to register for the bar too? Since this is the only problem why i still haven't upgrade my engine, i'm very desperate to find any legal way for the swap. can anyone provide more information??? Thank you!!
Old 07-20-08, 08:38 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default S4S GT28R Hybrid Stock

I'd be sorely tempted to go this route if my build was money no object and I wanted a beast that would likely pass CA visual and emmissions with ~550rwhp. http://www.speedforsale.com/suprapar...roducts_id=553
Old 07-21-08, 03:21 AM
Blk97SC300
Lead Lap

I passed visual and the sniffer too.. and I have a single turbo NA-T, no cats, no egr, no vac lines, massive injectors, fuel system, and more
Old 07-21-08, 05:20 PM
RX7 RAGE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not swapping the egr on my jdm 2jz.
Old 07-30-08, 10:07 AM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

This is some really good information though, I would love to hear some numbers if they are out there.

My biggest questions are.

1. How much for the 2JZGTE USDM swap (ball parks are find fellas)

2. How much for a street legal NA-T Swap???

3. You guys are awesome
Old 08-01-08, 08:35 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

If you did NA-T, and go to emission.. Could you say it the same as supra engine?? they don't really know much about engines especially supra cuz they are rare.
Old 08-01-08, 05:11 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

They look up VINs and block numbers. They dont go by pictures or what you tell them. The State Ref is real picky. They tried to say that the stock injectors on my friend's supercharged Solara were aftermarket because they had a blue ring around them. To show them proof that they were NOT aftermarket I had to go to the nearest Toyota dealer and have a the service manager hold the injector up showing the PN and everything while I took his picture.
Old 08-01-08, 05:22 PM
gabegtz84
Pole Position

Damn Refs suck
Old 09-19-08, 12:09 PM
Dankysc300
Driver School Candidate

So is there such thing as a carb legal na-t kit for the sc300? from a big brand company?? Im on the fence about getting a kit, my plan was to first register the car up at my dads place up in mendocino there is no smog in his area of the county. that would be fine for the time being while I owned the car. But I think it would greatly add to the value of the car if I ever sold it to be able to say I got a sc300 turbo completely smog legal.... now thats a serious selling point.
Old 09-20-08, 02:39 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

no there is no turbo kit that is smog legal...... nor will there ever be almost all the projects to make a smog legal kit has came to a screeching stop...as for raising the value of the car to get more money out of it your thinking the wrong way..... you will never recover from the money you spent on the car from going turbo.....only reason to go is if you plan oin keeping the car for yourself and not sell the car.... plus if you go turbo your car will not sell as easy as in anyone with a brian would know that you probably abused the engine to hell.... the other nice factor you guys for got to add on the difference from usdm to jdm is the oil sump is different as well as the bottom end .... also the turbos on the jdm motor are smaller than the usdm turbos as well as the sensors and the trac control on the motors are different also if you look on most intake manifolds they are different as well..... and if i remember right i believe the motor mounts are usually different....
Old 09-27-08, 05:03 PM
yauser
Rookie

Originally Posted by JDM
I would also like to hear an answer to this question. If it really is possible, I'm going to 2jzgte swap no matter how much it costs.
The answer is NO! Don't listen to the b/s. These statements are really questions instead if you know what I mean? Also, once you take it to the ref. after having all the money spent on the street legal scgte, the ref will have you remove everything. You can do a GE VVT-i upgrade, but non-turbo, Lol..

Last edited by yauser; 09-27-08 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-27-08, 05:24 PM
yauser
Rookie

Originally Posted by cbrasian
plus if you go turbo your car will not sell as easy as in anyone with a brian would know that you probably abused the engine to hell....
Wrong!! That's why people test drive before they buy. And if you're going to purchase a hi-perf. turbo car, you better know what you're getting into before doing so. Also, there are tons of Supra TT's out there pushing 500rwhp+ w/ upgraded twins, single turbo's, etc.., and still being sold for well above BB value. Of course, your statement would only be correct if you have a young buck wanting to blow people away without knowing anything about running turbo.
Old 12-21-11, 10:01 PM
sike
Driver School Candidate

Can we just go get it registered out of state?
Old 12-21-11, 10:12 PM
fatkhoa
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sike
Can we just go get it registered out of state?
only way to do that is if you have a out of state address and if you were ever to get pulled over you would have to say your visiting

Quick Reply: State of California- legal engine options