Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

V8 EKT headers installed!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-08, 01:05 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
...To do. Fix the pin hole leaks. If I have time (doubtful), I'll grind the welds down a bit and clean them up. I don't really care if they are ugly as long as the leaks are fixed. I haven't yet re-installed the tips. I sitll need to install the sub o2 sensor on the passenger side. Clearence between the sensor and the frame is an issue, I haven't decided how I want to fix it yet. I picked up some black header paint (2000 degree stuff) and I intend to paint the entire exhaust system short of the headers.
PepBoys have the cold exhaust weld for about $3/tube. It's more like a putty white powder with water that you can just put in on the leak to block it off. I tried that and it works great so far. It becomes like cement when dry. Hope you can save your time by not having to weld the leak.
Old 08-26-08, 05:08 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Ok guys, time for an update.

I made it to the open house of the new Zmax dragway. They only gave everybody one run though and, they didn't provide times. My run wasn't great anyway, no traction off the line, I let off. Then, at about the 330 mark or so, my collector gasket blew on the passenger side so I let off again. Watching the vid I have (I'll post it to youtube soon) I think I still managed a 13.5 or so, which is awesome considering. They said they would be having regular test and tune nights by the end of next month.

In the mean time, Thursday I will be going into work to fix all the little leaks I have and install my passenger side sub o2 sensor. I will also be painting it all black. I'll be sure to bring the camera along so I can take some pics, I'll also try to get some video / sound clips.

If not Thursday night, I'll head to the 1/8 mile track on Saturday night. I am deperate to get some new times. I expect them to be good. The car feels very strong and sounds great.

KC
Old 08-27-08, 02:00 PM
IMF
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
Ok guys, time for an update.

I made it to the open house of the new Zmax dragway. They only gave everybody one run though and, they didn't provide times. My run wasn't great anyway, no traction off the line, I let off. Then, at about the 330 mark or so, my collector gasket blew on the passenger side so I let off again. Watching the vid I have (I'll post it to youtube soon) I think I still managed a 13.5 or so, which is awesome considering. They said they would be having regular test and tune nights by the end of next month.

In the mean time, Thursday I will be going into work to fix all the little leaks I have and install my passenger side sub o2 sensor. I will also be painting it all black. I'll be sure to bring the camera along so I can take some pics, I'll also try to get some video / sound clips.

If not Thursday night, I'll head to the 1/8 mile track on Saturday night. I am deperate to get some new times. I expect them to be good. The car feels very strong and sounds great.

KC
I am waiting on those new times as well
Old 08-27-08, 05:38 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IMF
I am waiting on those new times as well
Chase,

In case you missed it, I shaved .153 off my 1/8 mile time with just the headers. Best before was 8.686, best now is 8.533. Also added 3-4 mph average. I have just recently replaced the rest of my exhaust, I'll post some pics tomorrow.

KC
Old 08-31-08, 11:30 AM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

since i haven't see you posted this vid yet, i though i'll post it up for you..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5UutsLLTM8
Old 09-01-08, 01:05 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC300_704
since i haven't see you posted this vid yet, i though i'll post it up for you..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5UutsLLTM8
Yes, I'm a slacker, that's my car. I've been meaning to post the vid just haven't gotten around to it.

Some notes on that run. It wasn't a good run. I let off twice, once to regain traction and once because my header collector gasket blew out at about the 330 mark. They didn't post any times on the board nor did they provide time slips so I have no idea what I ran. They also only gave everyone one run. Yes I am "daddy" and yes, I did win the race, barely.

More info on the next post...

KC
Old 09-03-08, 05:23 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Ok guys, started a new thread for the pics here... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=377422

New 1/8 mile time.

RT .659
60 ft 1.891
330 ft 5.536
ET 8.443
MPH 85.196

I would put money on running high 12's in the quarter with this time on street tires inflated to 32psi. I made several runs, most of them were in the low 8.5's and two in the 8.4's. I'm not sure if I've lost some low end torque (butt dyno says not), but I can now launch much harder. I am very happy with the result. Almost a full tenth better than my prev best run. And, with a few more runs I probably could have gotten lower. Still hot and sticky outside btw.

KC

Last edited by KC95SC400; 09-03-08 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-20-08, 03:39 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

okay so mines are getting installed as we speak. The passenger side clears everything just fine. Just hard finding out what bolts to use to attach the EGR pipe to the header as the threading on the header EGR port is unknown. Secondly, what looks to be header #3 or 4 is literally touching the steering rack. what did you do to remedy this? I couldn't even fit a business card between the two. The collector area on the driver side is really close to the bellhousing of the transmission. I really wished the collectors bent a little bit more to the outside of the car to clear the bellhousing like it does on the passenger side.
Old 09-20-08, 08:39 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexAnt
okay so mines are getting installed as we speak. The passenger side clears everything just fine. Just hard finding out what bolts to use to attach the EGR pipe to the header as the threading on the header EGR port is unknown. Secondly, what looks to be header #3 or 4 is literally touching the steering rack. what did you do to remedy this? I couldn't even fit a business card between the two. The collector area on the driver side is really close to the bellhousing of the transmission. I really wished the collectors bent a little bit more to the outside of the car to clear the bellhousing like it does on the passenger side.
LexAnt, sorry to take so long to respond.

Find any 10mm bolt on your car and the threads on the header for the EGR SHOULD be the same. You might be able to pull the studs out of the old manifold and re-use them.

I had no problems clearing anything.......They are a little close to the actual steering shaft on the drivers side but not really close to touching anything, anywhere. Is it possible your motor mounts are sagging, tilting the engine down in the rear? If by steering rack you mean steering shaft (the shaft that connects the column to the rack), put the car on the ground and re-check the clearence. The angles might change a bit with the car on the ground.

How are you installing them BTW? Removing cradle? Curious.

KC
Old 09-20-08, 08:50 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

LexAnt,

You mean the shaft in the attatched pic? Mine is close but I can fit more than a business car between it. If you have the frame hanging down like I do in this pic, keep in mind that the shaft will move quite a bit upward when the frame is bolted back up.

Also, how close to the bellhousing compared to my pictures on the first page of this thread? The driver's side is closer but there is PLENTY of room between the header and the transmission.

KC
Attached Thumbnails V8 EKT headers installed!-dscf8132.jpg  
Old 09-20-08, 08:51 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

hrm... yea i was referring to the steering shaft. in the air, the shaft was directly touching the header. doesn't look like i'll get any clearance once it's on the ground. i didn't take off the subframe that is in front of the oilpan.

my install didn't require removing the subframe.... well sort of. took off the rear subframe (where the rear bolt of the lower control arm connects to). Thats all that was taken off.

Last edited by LexAnt; 09-20-08 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-20-08, 09:03 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

hrm... yea i was referring to the steering shaft. in the air, the shaft was directly touching the header. well i hope that on the ground, it'll clear it then.

my install didn't require removing the subframe.... well sort of. took off the rear subframe (where the rear bolt of the lower control arm connects to). Thats all that was taken off.
So is it touching with the frame fully bolted up?

If so, then either the headers are a **** hair off compared to mine or there is something different between your car and mine. Now that I think about it, the steering shaft shouldn't move at all with the car on the ground.

How old are your motor and tranny mounts? You might either need to yell at Chase or find away to modify the header (tool required, hammer). I didn't have any problems.

KC
Old 09-20-08, 09:04 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

here you can see how close that collector portion is to the transmission.
Old 09-20-08, 09:07 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

the front subframe was never removed. So the steering shaft doesn't look like it will move even on the ground. The motor mounts were never redone, transmission mount done maybe 3-4 years ago. We were thinking of ballpenning that one port but it was already in the car, so we just left it. Tomorrow, going to see what I can do so that it doesn't rub.

I'm just concerned bout the steering shaft and how close it is to the transmission.
Old 09-20-08, 09:13 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

the front subframe was never removed. So the steering shaft doesn't look like it will move even on the ground. The motor mounts were never redone, transmission mount done maybe 3-4 years ago. We were thinking of ballpenning that one port but it was already in the car, so we just left it. Tomorrow, going to see what I can do so that it doesn't rub.

I'm just concerned bout the steering shaft and how close it is to the transmission.
As long as it isn't touching the trans it should be fine, the header will move 100% with the transmission in theory.

As far as the shaft goes.... Again, mine is close but not as bad as you describe yours.

Motor mounts or a slightly off header are the only two things I can think of here....

Good luck and definately keep us informed.

KC

Quick Reply: V8 EKT headers installed!