Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

V8 EKT headers installed!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 09:19 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

will update tomorrow after the header install is finalized and the exhaust is finished.

thnx kc for the responses
Old 09-21-08, 06:30 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

ok so header is in. the steering shaft is rubbing against the header, the steering is heavier. because i put cats under the car after the headers, the cat/exhaust now hangs as low as my sideskirts so i'll have to raise my car up an inch. Still not completely finalized as the driver side post cat 02 sensor for some reason didn't have enough slack to place in the 02 bung made after the cat, so that's open now (didn't have a plug). Sounded mean, nascar mean, when it was open header, heck even now it still does with just an open 02 bung. Still need to put back in the oil dipstick, a steering rack heatshield, tranny bracket to headers, and alignment.

because all that still has to get done, i can't comment on how the car runs especially with the open 02 bung.

Last edited by LexAnt; 09-23-08 at 07:21 AM.
Old 09-22-08, 09:22 AM
lao73oi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i notice both of you guys cars are 95. chase mention that it was tested on a 92 model and should be a direct fit on 92-94. he also said something about 95+ model exhausts were altered. anyone knows?
Old 09-22-08, 01:31 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

to my knowledge, the header design for the obd1 cars were the same. it was changed on obd2 cars when it went with a different style maf (the black circle maf housing).

So i found a plug to stop the "exhaust leak" and the sucker still sounds mean as heck. i'll get a vid up once the car is out of the bodyshop.
Old 09-22-08, 02:24 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lao73oi
i notice both of you guys cars are 95. chase mention that it was tested on a 92 model and should be a direct fit on 92-94. he also said something about 95+ model exhausts were altered. anyone knows?
The 92-95 SC400 exhausts are exactly the same. The EGR device by itself might be a little different, but the EGR tubes are the same. Only the wiring harness is different. My car is a 95. I just bought and returned a 92 engine. I also just helped my friend remove a 92 engine so I know that. I believe the 96 is also the same.
Old 09-22-08, 09:02 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

LexAnt, congrats on the install. Driven it yet?

I know it's a PITA but IMO you should do something about the header hitting the steering shaft.

Chase did say that the 95 was different, don't know for sure myself. I would definately contact him about it if I were you. I think the header might just be a little off. Mine is a 95 also and I didn't have any problems with the shaft. Only thing I needed to do was modify the rear exhaust to fit the headers.

KC
Old 09-23-08, 07:23 AM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

i haven't really been able to get on it. install was fri and sat then on sun was the exhaust shop. mon dropped the car off to the bodyshop. so can't really give an impression on how it drives right now.

i'll update on how it is with the 2.5" high flow cats into 2.5" piping to a 3" highflow cat to the JIC catback once the car is out of the shop.
Old 09-23-08, 08:47 PM
MEANDAFAKA
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oooo, supercharge plus headers
Old 09-23-08, 08:58 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexAnt
ok so header is in. the steering shaft is rubbing against the header, the steering is heavier.
Originally Posted by KC95SC400
I know it's a PITA but IMO you should do something about the header hitting the steering shaft.

I have to agree with KC on this. Dont leave that rubbing. Its bound to make noise plus it will no doubt wear a hole in the header over time.
Old 09-24-08, 01:20 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
I have to agree with KC on this. Dont leave that rubbing. Its bound to make noise plus it will no doubt wear a hole in the header over time.
That rubbing and actually the vibration noise ruins your sweet V8 deep tone. It's a bad distraction. Please fix that.
Old 09-24-08, 04:30 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Ya, don't think it's a good idea to be rubbing.

I looked at mine yesterday, I have about 1/4 inch between the header and the shaft and I can almost fit a finger between the transmission and the header on the driver's side.

I still think either that header is off a little or you may have bad mounts, rack bushings or something...

KC
Old 09-24-08, 02:15 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

yea, i don't intend to leave the shaft rubbing the header.

right now it's at the bodyshop and since they're doing an alignment, they're going to disconnect the shaft and see if they can maybe ding the header slightly to give it enough clearance to not rub.

it could be motor mounts, most likely the driver side since everything seems to be shifted towards the passenger side. as for the header and transmission clearance, there's enough clearance, ~1/4" maybe slightly more. Can't squeeze my finger through tho.

all i can say is, it sounds mean. nothing like what your's sounds like KC.
Old 09-25-08, 04:52 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexAnt
yea, i don't intend to leave the shaft rubbing the header.

right now it's at the bodyshop and since they're doing an alignment, they're going to disconnect the shaft and see if they can maybe ding the header slightly to give it enough clearance to not rub.

it could be motor mounts, most likely the driver side since everything seems to be shifted towards the passenger side. as for the header and transmission clearance, there's enough clearance, ~1/4" maybe slightly more. Can't squeeze my finger through tho.

all i can say is, it sounds mean. nothing like what your's sounds like KC.
Any updates?

My exhaust didn't sound to great with my old header back setup.

I now have a 2.5 mandrel bent setup with 3 Magnaflow mufflers, sounds very nice (mean too). My stupid camera won't switch to video mode so I haven't had a chance to make any vids yet. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=377422&page=2

KC
Old 10-01-08, 08:01 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

LexAnt, any updates?
Old 10-01-08, 09:21 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

still at the bodyshop. was in an accident that resulted in this

was almost close to getting totalled out. i'll be getting the car back tomorrow, hopefully in a condition where i don't have to worry bout any complications with the mods. will update tomorrow.

Quick Reply: V8 EKT headers installed!