Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz swap, wont start, starter ok, did neutral bypass...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-08, 07:41 PM
jefferino
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz swap, still wont start...fuel pump not turning on **Updated; Need HELP please :(

***Updated: thanks to OneJay I figured out the whole starter issue (see below dotted line). Now I go to start and the fuel pump is not turning on at all. I pulled the end off the FPR and NOTHING came out at all. The thing was so dry I saw dust! So here is what I did with respect to the fuel system;

1. Changed to a Walbro 255 pump (brand new)
2. Had to cut and put on a new pigtail for the pump
3. Did the 12v mod on the fuel pump ecu (after it wouldn't start)

So here I am, just about to be done and I have no fuel pump....I am assuming it is probably a ground or something but not sure. Any suggestions and if you think maybe a ground, anyone know where all the grounds are that I should check? I swear this is driving me nuts, all I want to do is drive my car before I get married in 2.5 weeks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so I did my swap and was excited to get things going. Hooked everything up, did the neutral bypass (yes auto clip in my 5sp). I think...hmm maybe the starter so I pull it out, take it to Advance and they test it, spins ok gets like 10amps and works. So now what? I check the fuse in the kick panel, its ok.

One thing I notice is that my alarm (aftermarket viper) wasn't blinking but tried pulling out the box and fuses on it, nothing! (No immobilizer on it).

I am at a loss now, could it be one of the 3 plugs that are hanging near my trans? I thought with going from auto to manual it should be okay...

Could it be the whole factory alarm thing? I don't have a key with a keyfob which is why I have my alarm (just to use for the door locks) so I can't lock/unlock the doors with a remote. I am thinking possibly try the whole lock/unlock sequence with the key in the door with the doors closed?

Everything else turns on with the key, I am so dang confused and searched a bunch and don't know what else. Also, I have seen people saying check for voltage across starter and such but I am not sure how to do this to be honest....

Thanks for the help

Last edited by jefferino; 07-20-08 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-19-08, 07:53 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Try unplugging the plug on the starter and running a length of wire to it using a female terminal connector. There is a little tab where the plug goes that the connector should fit on. Just run that wire down there and strip the other end and touch it to your positive battery terminal and make sure its in neutral with the key turned to "ON". It should start right up. If thats the case you need to wire a push button. PM me if thats the case.
Old 07-19-08, 08:08 PM
jefferino
Lead Lap

Thank you, I PM'd you for a little more detail....
Old 07-20-08, 09:45 AM
jefferino
Lead Lap

Update**now it cranks per how OneJay told me, but it wont turn over. I put in a Walbro 255 and I would expect to hear it when I try to start it and when the key is to the on position...however I don't. Could this be something with the fuel pump ecu???
Old 07-20-08, 06:22 PM
jefferino
Lead Lap

So now I tried the 12v mod for the fuel pump ecu (cutting and putting the green and the red/blacks together) still nothing!!