Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Reseal or Swap the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 09:29 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reseal or Swap the engine?

Ok so I have 171k+ miles on my 2JZGE and auto tranny. For the most part the car runs pretty well for its age and what not. I just recently changed my plugs/wires and VCG's, since then I have been contemplating either resealing this engine or purchasing a different one and doing an engine swap. I'm really not sure which way would be best as of yet. The main reason I want to reseal this engine is because I want to be proactive instead of reactive and stop an issue before it starts. The reason I'm thinking about a swap is because I'm not sure how long the block can last and I'm not sure if a 1JZ will be better for me.

In the near future I defiantly want to go turbo AND keep this as a DD.

Which route would you take?
Old 07-24-08, 10:22 PM
1sxyrxy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do 1jz but why fix something thats not broken
Old 07-24-08, 10:27 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1sxyrxy
do 1jz but why fix something thats not broken
Because the mileage is adding up and judging from the almost black trans fluid and super dark oil.............not to mention it was welfare housing for some creature I'm guessing the original owner did little no real maintenance on this car, so I fear it might be a time bomb ready to explode.

I have never had a car with this high mileage so I'm concerned about how it will hold up to the Northeast winters and what not.

So I would rather spend the money and time now before something happens

Why would you suggest the 1JZ and not the 2JZ?

Last edited by Sup2jzgte; 07-24-08 at 10:50 PM.
Old 07-25-08, 01:08 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get a 1JZ. Pretty much plug and play, and if you find one with low miles, you'll be good for YEARS!
Old 07-25-08, 05:29 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

The engine is fine, in fact it should be broken in by now. Some of the seals may need replacing especially if you decide to add some boost to the 2JZ engine sometime in the future. The only weak point from where i stand is the transmission. If the fluid is pretty dark that may be a bad sign that is wasn't maintained pretty well. Check to see when the last time the fluid was changed and if it's been over 70K miles since then the trans won't like new fluids and you may have to rebuild or replace it (replacing it is a lot cheaper than rebuilding.)

The 1JZ is preferred because it already has boost coming from either a single turbo (the VVT-i version) or from twins (the older, non VVT-i version and the one that is preferred). Find one with a tranny attached, drop it in, crank up the boost a bit and presto! 300hp is yours. the only problem is finding one in decent shape because if you happen to buy one that has been neglected you may have to dish out more $$$ for a rebuild.

I would explore the 1JZ a little more to see if it's right for you. Also do a backround check on that auto tranny to see if you need a new one, or it just needs a little TLC done to it. Good luck.
Old 07-25-08, 08:39 AM
redsc400
Pole Position

+1 for the 1JZ with manual transmission. spending cash to reseal an engine that you are unsure you will keep is probably not the best application for your buck.
Old 07-25-08, 02:36 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by redsc400
+1 for the 1JZ with manual transmission. spending cash to reseal an engine that you are unsure you will keep is probably not the best application for your buck.
If I reseal this engine I would not replace it, I would not be doing both.