Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Won't go into 3RD GEAR!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-08, 09:00 AM
_XpLiCiT_
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't go into 3RD GEAR!!

So im buying an SC from a guy in NJ and he had problems with his car because it would act like it was an AUTO (its a 5-Spd SC300). When i say it would act like an auto, its because he would put it into 1st gear and let go of the clutch and it wouldn't stall on him it would just creep foward. he says he had a clutch installed because he was told it was a clutch issue ("his clutch was gone"). and Right after he got it installed he lost 1st and 4th gear. Took it back to a shop and ge got 1st and 4th back but lost 3rd. Is this a tranny issue or a clutch that just wasn't installed right. It has 112k miles its a 1994. I need to know because i really dont want to buy a car with tranny issues since trannys are really expensive. Thanx in advance guys!

Last edited by _XpLiCiT_; 08-03-08 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-03-08, 09:44 AM
pioww
Rookie

I saw that car for sale somewhere on the internet. I would be prepared to replace/repair the tranny. If doesn't work properly, then it is broke, so pay accordingly. If you are going to do a swap then this might be a good car for you since you will be tearing the drivetrain out anyway. If you were just planning on driving the car as is then, look for another car. Give yourself more time to save more, for a better car. Do yourself a favor, if you are not familiar will the price of lexus parts, see what the cost of parts are at the dealership, because alot of people sell parts will regard to what new dealership prices are. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Finding your own used parts will always be cheaper, and will take time to find, but will definitely be better than used part resellers often found on this site.
Old 08-04-08, 01:14 PM
_XpLiCiT_
Lead Lap

Thanx and i feel you, but i want to get some Technical help. ASAP!!!!
Old 08-04-08, 01:50 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The labor is what hurts the most usually. If you can't shift into 3rd then.. umm I would suggest looking for a used w58 or transmission repair kit. It will be a good time to learn. Assuming it's fixable.
Old 08-04-08, 03:57 PM
_XpLiCiT_
Lead Lap

i guess i'll just look for another SC to buy. I wanted to buy Swaqqa's but he's no longer selling it =(