Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

misfire sc400 (long story)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-08, 07:30 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default misfire sc400 (long story)

Go down if you want to see the main points, I'm kinda frustrated so I had to say something!

Ok about a week and a half ago, I put some gas in my car, put roughly 20 bucks in her, and drove around for a bit then she started missing. I figured it was bad gas because it was only a slight miss.

I decided that I would drive out until it was near empty and I would fill up again. So a few days later, I went through that 20 bucks of bad gas, and filled her up at a different gas station. It still missed, but I figured I'd at least have to run the bad gas out of the lines and whatnot. 1 1/2 hour later of driving, still missing.

I continue to drive (to Dallas my destination point) another 1 1/2 hour, picked up some spark plugs (I assumed they were bad) and got to work at my grandpa's house. The entire passenger bank (don't forget sc400) had some oil on the plugs, but the last was the worst, it was actually soaked in oil.

I figured I needed new spark plug seals and no one around town had any, so I let her sit and putted around in my Mom's spare truck (tacoma baby! That thing will not die lol). Yesterday I was on my way home (3 hour drive) the car missed the entire time, didn't feel like it got any worse or anything, same bucking and what not.

I'm back at home now, and I've got the plug seals, I replace the seals (which is a total PITA) replace them and pull the plugs (insert wtf here) guess what? No oil on the plugs.

I drive her around, (after I reset the ecu and my safc, to be on the safe side) and she still misses, now it seems even worse. However, the plugs I checked they looked the same (as far as the passenger side bank goes) nothing different or anything, I however did find that two of my vacuum lines (on those metal lines by the TB) were disconnected, I know I didn't take them loose, and I don't know where they go.

____________Read here if you skipped chapter one_____________________
To recap;

1) slight miss due to bad gas (assumtion)
2) ran gas out, and filled up again (different gas station)
3) noticed the miss was still there
4) replace spark plugs after a 3 hour drive
5) passenger bank had oil
6) drove home and replaced plug seals
7) checked plugs again (on passenger bank only) and plugs check out ok
8) Still missing (a lil bit worse, not too bad though)
9) noticed two vacuum lines are not connected off of the throttle body

Yeah so anyway else have an issue like this?? Also if you could help with the vacuum lines that'd be great too!

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-20-08, 08:23 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

check your rotor caps, distributor, and plug wires...under those 2 black boxes at the front of the motor...mine went bad...but they were so bad I couldnt drive
Old 08-20-08, 11:29 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

I replaced all of those when I got the car (less than a year ago), I do recall the cam/timing belt combo ate one of my plug wires, but I've already been through all of that, and everything seemed ok. I guess it wouldn't hurt to check again before I did the injectors (ugh)
Old 08-21-08, 06:51 PM
Mattmannz
Pole Position

Perhaps you can take a picture of the disconnected lines showing the general area then somone can advise where they go.

Those vacuum lines will most likely cause a bit air leak which will let unmetered air enter the engine and cause it to rough badly.

Matt.
Old 08-21-08, 08:41 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ +1

a pic would help. fix/connect everything as they would normally be first before replacing parts - saves time and money, easier to troubleshoot.
Old 08-21-08, 11:10 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

one of them doesn't have vacuum, but the main one is the one off of the intake manifold facing the front of the engine, marked in my beautiful MS Paint skills, lol. I would go out and take a picture of my car but it's 1:00 a.m.

it's the one that is circled and has a X in it. The other one is coming off one of the metal lines on the throttle body