Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Maintenace or hanging myself hmmmmm?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-08, 10:18 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenace or hanging myself hmmmmm?

Well I have to change the starter on my car (SC400) cause it is getting pretty worn. I get the old * click * no start 5- 10 times before the car actually starts on some days. So I figured with that whole job ahead of me I'd might as well replace a bunch of crap. my list so far is

all manifold gaskets
spark plugs
wires
electric fan conversion

My question is with the high miles i am considering doing the timing belt as well since the radiator will be out and the cooling system will be drained. Is timing belt a reidculous job. I mean i have done cam sawps on LS1's and stuff but I wouldn't consider myself a pro mechanic.

Last edited by TheRonTom3; 08-25-08 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-25-08, 10:31 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well the starter take only 30 min to do but if your gonna do all those the timing belt isn't too bad its actually pretty easy
Old 08-25-08, 10:49 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry I forgot to specify this is an SC400
Old 08-25-08, 12:05 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrasian
well the starter take only 30 min to do but if your gonna do all those the timing belt isn't too bad its actually pretty easy
Yeah you generally multiply SC300 starter time by 10 to get to the SC400 time.

The T-belt shouldnt be bad, but I would do it only if you need it or have time on your hands.
Old 08-25-08, 12:33 PM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not really or maybe just cuz i specialize in these cars that i've gotten good at em... but its not horrible just take your time
Old 08-25-08, 01:13 PM
thaimonkee
Lead Lap

i did the timing belt over a weekend. thats because it was the first time i ever did one and didnt have all the tools needed. If you can read an manual then you should be ok.
Old 08-25-08, 09:38 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

being a 400... since you'll have the whole thing pretty much taken apart, it wouldn't hurt to do the maintenance items while you're at it, timing belt, water pump etc etc. Heck, mite as well clean up the intake ports if they look crummy etc while you're in there.
Old 08-26-08, 07:34 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Ok I have a question. The tutorial on Lextreme says you don't have to remove the injectors then later in the tutorial is tells you to remove injectors. I would like to know if you have to cause I want to have all my gaskets and o-rings ready, rather than running back and forth to the lexus dealer

Also anyone who has done this before know exactly what gaskets i will need?

so far:
Throttle body
rear water neck
upper intake manifold
lower intake manifold
Old 08-26-08, 07:49 AM
Punky
Lead Lap

Replace your water pump if you're doing the timing belt. If you're a non VVTI it should be slightly easier than vvti I changed my timing belt, water pump about two months ago. I highly recommend a vehicle repair book if you don't have one, but it's not that hard. Took me a little longer than expected because of Florida thunderstorms every day =(
Old 08-26-08, 04:11 PM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

well I began the starter adventure tonight. I think the biggest pain is still ahead. It took me 1.5 hours to remove everything down to the lower intake manifold. I gave up at the gas lines for tonight as the engine still had some warmth to it. I'll tackle the rest of that crap tomorrow.

The upper intake manifold to lower intake manifold gaskets look to be in very goos shape. Anyone ever reuse these?
Old 08-26-08, 06:26 PM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRonTom3
well I began the starter adventure tonight. I think the biggest pain is still ahead. It took me 1.5 hours to remove everything down to the lower intake manifold. I gave up at the gas lines for tonight as the engine still had some warmth to it. I'll tackle the rest of that crap tomorrow.

The upper intake manifold to lower intake manifold gaskets look to be in very goos shape. Anyone ever reuse these?
might as well replace it. i dont think its worth the headache of breaking it down again. mind posting some pics of the tear down?

might have to do this soon as well.
Old 08-26-08, 09:44 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Might as well. I did replace them. You can see my starter thread here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=348391
Old 08-27-08, 06:57 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Might as well. I did replace them. You can see my starter thread here.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=348391
I have actually managed to leave a lot of stuff on the manifolds as I am taking them out. SO for gaskets I'm pretty sure I will be getting away with just the upper and lower mani. gaskets, throttle body, EGR rear, and rear water passage. I will also get new crush washers for the fuel lines on the fuel rails.

Thats is going to be all I'll need though. All my tubing is in excellent shape. I am amazed how clean my engine is. Maybe one or two rusty bolts, Zero seized or rounded bolts.

top manifold off

Last edited by TheRonTom3; 08-27-08 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-27-08, 05:21 PM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

Two more hours in and i hit a wall. See the water neck in the back. There is a hard copper line bolted to the back of that waterneck about an inch from the fire wall with the bolts facing down at a 45* angle. Tomorrow i am hoping that a flex head ratcheting wrench can reach those. Once those are gone I remove the water neck and then its on to the starter.
Old 08-29-08, 11:26 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, who put that freakin starter there, LOLOLOL

Quick Reply: Maintenace or hanging myself hmmmmm?