Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Safc

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-02, 11:03 PM
slowtan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safc

I have a stock 1997 SC300 and are looking for some minor performance upgrade. From what I have been reading there are only a hand full of upgrades for me.

Pulley's (not recommended by everyone)

intake (seems like everyone's is different and there is no supreme #1)

SAFC (I have no clue what this is but everyone seems to say it is great. Can anyone give me more info on this or where I can find out more info on this? )

exhaust (seems to be alot of $$ compared to the gains)

dual electric fans (seems like only a couple people have made the switch but the few who have done it like it )

If anyone knows anything else please let me know and where I can find it.

I have a supercharged 383 Stroker in my truck. When I want speed I jump into that but when I want comfort I jump into my Lexus. Lately I have jumped into my Lexus more than my truck but would like some more pep.
Old 02-15-02, 05:51 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Safc

Originally posted by slowtan

Pulley's (not recommended by everyone)
Pully's are great, just don't swap the crank pully and you'll be fine - Cost is high for not a lot. May improve looks.

intake (seems like everyone's is different and there is no supreme #1)
Everyone has their opinion - I've seen dyno where intakes slowed the car down, even though it had a gain in HP in the upper rpm's. I'd say just replace the stock filter w/ a K&N panel filter. Looks play a big role again - Got Rice?

SAFC (I have no clue what this is but everyone seems to say it is great. Can anyone give me more info on this or where I can find out more info on this? )
Do a search - lots of info on this forum about it. I'll let those who have one answer this, because I don't have one.

exhaust (seems to be alot of $$ compared to the gains)
Again, costly, but it does free up a little if you do it right. So far, there are no "kits" so you have to find a shop to fab you a custom setup. Again looks.

dual electric fans (seems like only a couple people have made the switch but the few who have done it like it )
I've done it on other cars, but haven't researched it enough to see if it's practical for our cars.
Old 02-15-02, 08:48 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are cat-back exhausts available... just none that are a decent price...

the two for sale here in the states is the JIC Twin Spartan exhaust, and the Greddy exhaust..

http://www.takakaira.com has a lot of exhausts; but you have to get them shipped from japan
Old 02-15-02, 08:51 AM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm I'd be a bit worried about slowing down the alternator pully kieth. Our cars are so electronic, it might have bad reprocussions. And yes, main crank is out -- harmonic dampeners right? Wears out the bearings quicker.

SAFC is a aftermarket Fuel/Air ratio controller. Throughout your RPM range it adjusts the Fuel/Air mix for optimal HP -- and extra 25 HP and 30lbs of torque have been seen from this $309 mod.
Apexi SAFC piggybacks your ECU... Do a search and you might find instructions, if not they are on apexi's web site and proably in the box w/ the unit.

Once again, I'm a bit wary of underdrive pullies. Rather than worrying about that, I'd save up for a turbo or ECU upgrade (they have those for the SC300 too... CmpterWhiz knows about it.)

just my thoughts... correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-15-02, 10:51 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

SupraC-

There is honest validity to your point about the underdrive pullies, but unless the crank is also swapped, the aftermarket alt pulley alone will only be lowered/reduced slightly, and the rpm will still be with in the charge range. In other words, the alternator really won't see a change to affect the electronics of the car and basically serves little if any underdrive reduction. The alt pully really is for looks and weight reduction only (if its by itself). And look at the cost - not cheap.