Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

how to install oil catch can??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-08, 08:09 PM
Dv8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
lol....You crazy Honda kids and your jb weld/pvc plastic plumbing/ebay powered/ hockey puck motor mounts/ pencil broken off in vac line/ "custom"/ everything motors. Rofl, jk man, but seriuosly...
Honda = Win. If I didnt learn with an old Honda, I would have wrecked something more expencive haha.

I did mine bass ackwards, I havnt done anything with the V/C -> I/M line, yet. I did however put a catch can between the exhaust side V/C and the air intake. Maybe I'll do two catch cans just to be baller.
Old 09-07-08, 08:55 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dv8
Honda = Win. If I didnt learn with an old Honda, I would have wrecked something more expencive haha.

I did mine bass ackwards, I havnt done anything with the V/C -> I/M line, yet. I did however put a catch can between the exhaust side V/C and the air intake. Maybe I'll do two catch cans just to be baller.
There's nothing really wrong with hooking it up that way, it's just that most of the people that would take the time to do it would do the PCV valve also to the same can then route it back into the intake. There are alot of gte motors and others that leave the PCV valve in place and just hook a line from the passenger cover to the intake pipe. Not saying this is the best way....but it probably does provide a little relief.

Jon
Old 09-08-08, 12:46 AM
speedfoos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol....You crazy Honda kids and your jb weld/pvc plastic plumbing/ebay powered/ hockey puck motor mounts/ pencil broken off in vac line/ "custom"/ everything motors. Rofl, jk man, but seriuosly...
LOL - about the only Ebay thing on there is the catchcan. If I could have found a Garrett distributor for the GT30 turbo I've got on it, I would have bought it off Ebay as well, but no such luck. She scoots just fine.

As far as steel wool and saying goodbye to your engine, not so much. That stuff is very fine and would burn up instantly in the combustion chamber. I could understand if a chunk of it wedged itself in between the valve and the head in the port, but that's also why you run an inline filter.
Old 09-08-08, 01:16 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Alright let me break this down:

Cars come stock with what is called a PCV valve, this stands for positive crankcase ventilation. When your motor is at high RPMs, there is more oil pressure and there what's called blowby, where oil slips past your piston rings. The purpose of the PCV is to relieve some of this pressure by recirculating it back into your intake manifold via vaccuum that your motor naturally produces. It also helps with emissions but the main focus is to relieve that pressure. The bad thing about doing this is that when it is introduced into the intake stream, it polutes the incoming air and lowers your octane rating increasing your chances for detonation, not to mention gumming up your intake mani and such.

With all that being said, there are several different types of catch cans: vented, baffled, sealed and unbaffled, sealed and baffled. Baffled means that there is some sort of filtering system that seperates the oil from the air.

So, now on to hooking them up. There are 4 common ways (among others) that everyone pretty much does it:

The first way to do it is unhook your PCV valve and vac hose from the valve covers and run both of them into a sealed catch can, with no filter and not recirculating it back into the intake system. This does not help with crankcase ventilation at all as some people think, it just gives the oil a place to go and accumulate. But at the same time, it is keeping all the blowby out of the intake stream so that is a big plus.

The second common way is to run both lines from the valve cover to a vented catch can. This doesn't help at all with crankcase pressure either but it, like the previous one, does keep all the oil from getting back into the combustion chamber.

The third way is to run both to a vented catch can, and then recirculate it back into a vaccuum source. Now when you vent it, recirculating it becomes kind of dumb because now you are not pulling the pressure stream from the the motor but rather outside air. It isn't necessarily a bad thing it's just that the purpose of recirculating it is to aid in relieving the pressure and then you go and break the cycle of suction by introducing fresh air.

The fourth way to do it is hook both lines up to a sealed catch can and recircualte it. Now, this is the best way to deal with the pressure, however at the same time you have find some way to seperate the oil from the air as it recirculates. It naturally somewhat do it on its own as oil is heavier and will drop in the can but that is where designs of the catch can come into play (baffled and unbaffled, baffled is definately better btw).

On a naturally aspirated motor, if you are recirculating it you can plum it back in anywhere after your MAF/MAS. If you are turboed, it needs to plumbed in front of your turbo, before your filter. This is the only place on a turbocharged motor that actually sees vaccuum all the time. Also something else on turbocharged cars is to just hook the lines directly up to the intake pipe with no can. It's to each his own on this thing but the best way IS to run both lines to a sealed and baffled catch can and then recirculate it.

Jon

Did you know that the word "positive" in "positive crankase ventilation" has nothing to do with the function of the valve? "Positive" is actually the name of the inventor of this valve....

Sorry, I don't post much and felt like I should contribute something....
Old 07-17-09, 04:39 PM
BoostLogic
Rookie

You could also take the PCV line and Y intinto the breather line from both valve covers. Then rout it to one side of the catch can. The other side of the catch can will rout to the intake vacuum tube that once connected to the PCV valve. Now this should get rid of crank press and sep the oil as well as feed the filtered air back into the intake less the oil and gunk.