Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Questions not covered yet on 1jz manual to manual (w58) swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-08 | 09:45 PM
SCjzz
Driver

Default Questions not covered yet on 1jz manual to manual (w58) swap

ok. i have a 92 sc300 with the w58 manual trans. ive been searching high and low for answers so i can be 100% on what exactly needs to be done, but all im getting is info from guys swapping auto to manual with w58's, auto to manual with supra r154, and soarer r154...auto to auto. some of the info i am afraid wont help. so i want it to be sorted out!!

ok so first off, i intend to buy a 1jz just engine, ecu and wiring for like 1000. and then i am going to use my stock w58 (since apparently it bolts str8 up to the 1j) with a stage 2 clutch and lightened flywheel. i know its a weak trans but its not going to matter because its only a DD. i plan to swap the tranny when/if my tranny blows.

Tranny questions
if i decide to use the mk3 supra r154, where can i buy the extended shift linkage? will shift linkage from the soarer fit onto the tranny? and do i need a new driveshaft/rearend if i use this? where exactly do you need to push the tranny tunnel in?
(remember, i dont have auto drivetrain.)

and if i decide to use a soarer r154, does it need its shifter linkage extended? do i need a new driveshaft? any problems at all getting it in bolted up?

WIRING
second of all, i dont exactly understand what needs to be extended in the harness. i need pictures of where/what to extend from i need this explained in detail because i am LOST when it comes to harness crap. ive seen pictures on here, but im getting that they are auto harnesses that they are extending or something? does this matter?

and now for wiring up the tach and speedo. ive heard there were problems with it, then ive also heard it will plug and play on early models. whats the story in my case?

do i need to run any type of ecu writing products like safc?

Engine related
ive also read that the master cylinder from my car will not work? which master cylinder do i need, or what needs to be modified?

ive read of probelms with the power steering reservoir. which do i need?

(these probelms were probably on an auto to manual 1j swap)
Misc.
are there hotpipes out there pre welded with ssqv flange?

anyone in the boston area looking to help me with my swap? this is taking place in a couple of months. i just want the basics down so i can start looking for parts now.
Old 09-06-08 | 11:39 PM
SCjzz
Driver

bump..........
Old 09-07-08 | 05:20 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

the w58 does bolt up to the 1jz and all the wiring going through the firewall has to be extended. Your master cylinder will work with the w58 but not the r154. For the tach search sc300 tach fix on YouTube.
Old 10-28-08 | 03:59 PM
kevro
Pole Position

so why wont the master cylinder from the sc300 with w58 not work for the 1jz with soarer r154? and what does? im expecting a full swap delivered in the next few weeks and this is the first i have come accross on this issue.
Kevin
Old 10-30-08 | 04:39 PM
kevro
Pole Position

bump...i spent 45 minutes looking and all i found were posts telling others who were dealing with this issue to search. In fact that is usually 90 percent of the posts I find when searching for something important. Anyone know the answer to this?
Old 10-31-08 | 03:12 AM
dinhnerz
Pole Position

I believe OneJay is refering to the slave cylinder not the master cylinder. Master cylinder is fine. Slave cylinder on the tranny is the problem using the R154 tranny. The w58 is a push type transmission while the r154 is a pull type transmission, which means require different slave cylinder. Different position on the transmission where the slave cylinder is mounted as well.
Old 10-31-08 | 09:22 AM
kevro
Pole Position

how is this resolved? custom?
Old 10-31-08 | 10:28 AM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dinhnerz
I believe OneJay is refering to the slave cylinder not the master cylinder. Master cylinder is fine. Slave cylinder on the tranny is the problem using the R154 tranny. The w58 is a push type transmission while the r154 is a pull type transmission, which means require different slave cylinder. Different position on the transmission where the slave cylinder is mounted as well.
Will a longer hose be needed when using the stock 5 speed SC300 master cyliner with a new R154 slave clyinder?
Old 10-31-08 | 11:41 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Ya sorry, slave cylinder.
Old 10-31-08 | 12:35 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kevro
how is this resolved? custom?
Use an r154 slave cylinder. You don't have to search for a specific one like an r154 from a 1j. Even a mk3 7mgte slave cyl will do. Just make sure its an r154 gear box.