Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Newbee with a big transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08, 02:55 PM
2000atlant
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just adjusted the throttle cable because it was 3/8" out of adjustment. It smoothed out the shifts between 1-2, 2-3, but still not O/D. I replaced valve cover gaskets, plugs, and wires a couple months ago. I am sure the cable being out of adjustment was my own doing. I did not know that the throttle cable adjustment was that sensitive. It was shifting kind of hard on the lower gears, but is very smooth again now.

I found the connector going to the solenoids in the trans pan, unplugged it to do the mechanical/manual test, and when I did this I could manually shift from L, 2, and D (O/D). It went right into O/D just fine so the transmission is ok. This tells me I have an electrical problem like I suspected. For anybody else having this problem and wanting to try this, the solenoid plug is the 3rd plug from the rear on the drivers side of the trans. It is cylindrical, and oriented vertically on the side of the trans.

I still can not find out where the coolant temp sensor is located. I found three plugs on the drivers side, front of the motor tucked up under the intake runners. All of them are one wire sensors but the replacement coolant sensor I bought from O'Reillys has a plug for a two wire connection. Maybe I have the wrong sensor? If nobody on here can help me out than I guess I will keep digging on my own.
Old 09-17-08, 08:00 PM
2000atlant
Driver School Candidate

I swapped out the coolant temp sensor and nothing changed, as I assumed would happen.

On page 72 of this manual: http://www.wjw.co.uk/Toyota/95%20Sup...e%202JZ-GE.pdf
it shows how the solenoids should turn on/off to go through the gears. I have 1-3 so both solenoids have to be working according to this chart. If No. 1 was not working then I would not have 1st or 2nd gears. If No.2 was not working I would not have 2nd or 3rd. That tells me the solenoids are fine.

I am starting to suspect an ECM problem. I am going to check the speed sensors and A/T fluid temp sensor resistance as shown in the manual. If those are OK, I guess I will start looking for another ECM to try.
Old 09-17-08, 09:13 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey man thanks for keep us posted I am having the same problems with my car but I have had no time to check out the same things you are. Let me know what happens after you check the speed sensors i think thats my problem.
Old 09-17-08, 09:36 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

alot of domestic vehicles handle shifting based off of the speed sensor which is on the tranny itself. if your speedometer is not working its a good indication on certain vehicles of a faulty speed sensor. for a Toyota i am not so sure the speedometer is based off of that, but i know most cars ecu usually need it. i believe its not hard to check on a rwd vehicle. fwd... well thats a whole nother problem cause the trannys are usually harder to get too.
Old 09-17-08, 09:54 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

on a lex i was told that the guage cluster speedo is not based in the speed sensor(well not completly) the speed sensor tells the tranny at what speed it should shift at I think i am probably going to have to change my speed sensor bcause of my trannys o/d problem I hope theres a chance that by changing that sensor it fixes my gauge cluster not reading speed. But from what i hear its more than likely i have a faulty cluster..
Old 09-19-08, 02:15 PM
2000atlant
Driver School Candidate

On page 71 of the manual it shows how to check resistance on speed sensor No. 2 to see if it is ok. Resistance: 560 – 680 ohms indicates a good sensor.

I have not found a way to check the No.1 speed sensor yet. I had a couple wisdom teeth taken out this morning so I doubt I will be in the garage working on it this weekend. I will continue to keep you updated on what I find out.
Old 09-21-08, 10:38 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

yea man keep us updated... and GL with those teeth ive been through that
Old 09-21-08, 07:09 PM
WICKED 1
Pole Position

i rewired my speed sensor to get the car to shift to 3 and hooked up the o/d switch to get o/d. as for the speedo.....lets just say that at 18 lbs of boost i still do 0 miles an hour on the highway????????
Old 10-05-08, 03:48 PM
2000atlant
Driver School Candidate

I checked the No. 2 speed sensor today and it was reading 649 ohms so it is in spec.

This is what I have checked and still no OD under normal conditions:

Replaced coolant temp sensor
Checked No. 2 speed sensor-OK (649 ohms, spec 560-680 ohms)
Unplugged solenoids and manually shifted L,2, and D. All gears, including OD, work fine.
Throttle cable adjusted to spec (it was out and shifting a little firm, shifts smooth now 1 to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd)
Throttle position sensor checked (1 v with no throttle, 8 V at full throttle)

Anybody know how to check the No. 1 speed sensor to see if it is functioning properly? There are no specs listed in the manual like there is for the No. 2 speed sensor.

Last edited by 2000atlant; 10-05-08 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-11-08, 09:28 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000atlant
I checked the No. 2 speed sensor today and it was reading 649 ohms so it is in spec.

This is what I have checked and still no OD under normal conditions:

Replaced coolant temp sensor
Checked No. 2 speed sensor-OK (649 ohms, spec 560-680 ohms)
Unplugged solenoids and manually shifted L,2, and D. All gears, including OD, work fine.
Throttle cable adjusted to spec (it was out and shifting a little firm, shifts smooth now 1 to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd)
Throttle position sensor checked (1 v with no throttle, 8 V at full throttle)

Anybody know how to check the No. 1 speed sensor to see if it is functioning properly? There are no specs listed in the manual like there is for the No. 2 speed sensor.

hey man any updates ???
Old 10-12-08, 05:53 AM
2000atlant
Driver School Candidate

No, still need to figure out how to check the No. 1 speed sensor to make sure it is operating properly. I can not find the specs on the internet anywhere. I was hoping someone on here with a manual would look it up and post the info but I guess no one has the info. I guess I need to buy a factory service manual or take it to someone that has one and can trouble shoot it for me. That or trade this old car in. I have been trying to get my wife to let me buy her a G35 anyway.
Old 10-12-08, 09:31 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2000atlant
No, still need to figure out how to check the No. 1 speed sensor to make sure it is operating properly. I can not find the specs on the internet anywhere. I was hoping someone on here with a manual would look it up and post the info but I guess no one has the info. I guess I need to buy a factory service manual or take it to someone that has one and can trouble shoot it for me. That or trade this old car in. I have been trying to get my wife to let me buy her a G35 anyway.
I was just under my car and I unplugged the no.1 speed sensor drove the car and nothing changed. then i unplugged the no.2 sensor and it then wouldnt shift past 1st. so i dont know i founfd this web site with a little info as to what the problem can be....

http://www.usatransdoctor.com/foreignlexus.htm#A340E
Old 10-18-08, 08:44 AM
FBoy110
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys
sorry i havnt posted for a while but here is what ive found out
i replaced both the speed sensors on the tranny and still no o/d
so i started to check the cruise control unit and the ecm wiring according to the shop manual
i have to check voltage on one more wire and it will let me know if my cruise control ecu or main ecu is bad
hopefully that will solve the problem
i will keep everyone posted
Old 10-22-08, 07:13 PM
2000atlant
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FBoy110
Hey guys
so i started to check the cruise control unit and the ecm wiring according to the shop manual
i have to check voltage on one more wire and it will let me know if my cruise control ecu or main ecu is bad
Yeah, let us know what you find out. I do not have a shop manual so am running out of data/specs to help me keep checking for the issue. Do you know if these cars have a TCM (transmission control module) or is it all controlled by the ECU?
Old 11-13-08, 05:05 AM
2000atlant
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FBoy110
Hey guys
Any update on which one you found to be bad?

Quick Reply: Newbee with a big transmission problem