Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz into sc300

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-08, 11:43 AM
timrogers6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jz into sc300

What parts will I need to put a 2jz into a sc300. also what years are easier to do if any? I am going to be purchasing another sc300. the 2jz will be from a 94+ supra with a six speed. Will I have to change the rearend? Will I have to modify the trans. tunnel? what about driveshaft modifications. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-08-08, 12:01 PM
SCjzz
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i see you are new here, welcome. use the search, its your friend!

this topic has been covered many times here, seeing that it is such a sought after swap. you are aware of the costs of putting in the 2j WITH a getrag v160? oh man...

lets put it this way, if you dont know that youd obviously have to change the rearend and driveshaft on a longer (correct me if im wrong) 6 speed gearbox that was never present in the sc, this swap is probably not your best option. the 2jzgte is the same for all supras, because they never made a different body style with the 2jzgte.

but yes you theoretically could use your sc rearend with modification, but do you WANT to? not really...supra tt rearend is a better idea and it comes with lsd. not the kind ur on.

just jokin with ya...

but really, go with the 1jz swap dude. it is way easier and can be had for less than 3 grand. it requires less modification/one off parts than the 2j swap. the 2j is definitely not a noob swap.

the 2jz swap ur lookin at 15 grand and up. (15 grand is a BARGAIN) and if you have that kind of money, just look for an sc with one already swapped!

Last edited by SCjzz; 09-08-08 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 01:32 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 359 Likes on 229 Posts

Old 09-08-08, 02:05 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...you deleted my post!
Old 09-08-08, 04:59 PM
92-gt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by O. L. T.

why do you have to put that on everything? why dont you jut move it and say moved to this location......
Old 09-09-08, 04:23 PM
Nthusiastt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SCjzz
but really, go with the 1jz swap dude. it is way easier and can be had for less than 3 grand. it requires less modification/one off parts than the 2j swap. the 2j is definitely not a noob swap.

the 2jz swap ur lookin at 15 grand and up. (15 grand is a BARGAIN) and if you have that kind of money, just look for an sc with one already swapped!
It sounds like your really comparing apples to oranges here. A 2jz aristo swap is much cheaper than 15grand and the r154 trans can be used on the 2jz. 15 grand? huh? I really am not seeing where this adds up....
Old 09-09-08, 05:47 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

one off parts? majority of the parts that work on the 2jz can also be used on the 1jz. even down to valves. actually 2jz valves are a bit bigger and can be considered an upgrade on a 1jz.

3000 for a 1jz swap? it can be completely done for 2000 all day. even easier you can do it even cheaper and go the 1.5jz route and use your existing bottom end.you can source the remaining 1jz parts, ie manifold, ecu, harness, and still be a total of less then 1500 for everything...including a front mount, exhaust, and a nice BOV...you can also throw in a piggy-back into that.

15,000 for a 2jz swap? i dont know which one of you is on crack? lol JK. if you think thats how much it costs to put a 2jz into your car pay up and ill do it. it will even be a USDM 2jz.

if you know how to work on cars yourself and you are resourceful going turbo is not expensive at all...without sacrificing reliability of course.

if everyone did more research then you would understand that it is not that hard nor expensive to do...
Old 09-09-08, 08:14 PM
Nthusiastt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
if you know how to work on cars yourself and you are resourceful going turbo is not expensive at all...without sacrificing reliability of course.
Working on cars is not difficult. Obtaining the tools and information to do the swap is. Also it should be clear that buying used parts and cutting corners does not usually lead you down the road to reliability.

As I always said. You have 3 options; reliable, fast, and cheap. You can only choose two.
Old 09-10-08, 06:59 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Nthusiastt
Working on cars is not difficult. Obtaining the tools and information to do the swap is. Also it should be clear that buying used parts and cutting corners does not usually lead you down the road to reliability.

As I always said. You have 3 options; reliable, fast, and cheap. You can only choose two.
again...its all about connections. cutting corners? no. working at an engine shop and doing work yourself. yes. there is nothing wrong with buying used parts. its all about knowing what you are buying and who you are buying it from. i would rather buy a set of used zeal coilovers over a brand spanking new set of megans. im sure you would agree with that too. if you do your research you will know what parts are good and which are not. some parts dont even wear out so buying used is an economic pathway to more fun with boost

info to do the swap is all over the net. here, supra forums. one of my good friends that is 25 with no college education and 6 figure salary told me. "if you ever want to know or learn anything, all you need is a library card and access to the internet"

dont use reliable, cheap, fast routine. its old and i have seen it proved wrong.
Old 09-10-08, 09:22 AM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok did noone catch this...?!? I'll do a 2jz swap for you man, in one afternoon. I'll pull your motor and drop it right back in with a fluid change. Cake job.
But in all seriousness to the OP, before you go asking about engine swaps, find out whats under the hood first. You should be asking what shops to take it to because frankly, (no offense) you're clueless. Good luck....You're gonna need it.

Jon

Last edited by 2jzlex; 09-10-08 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-10-08, 10:44 AM
re-rx7
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

hmmm... 1jz huh?
Old 09-10-08, 02:00 PM
SCjzz
Driver

meh, it doesnt matter if im right or wrong about how much it costs. after all thats how much i heard it costs...more than once. oh well.

either way theres no way hes gettin a 2j turbo swap...
Old 09-10-08, 02:45 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

reading this made me stupider.

2jz swap will not cost you 15 grand.
2jz swap and 1jz swap is pretty comparable nowadays, engine price being the largest factor (2jz is almost double), but still not too bad.
you can find a clean 1j motorset for about a grand and a clean 2j motorset for under 2 grand with automatic transmission.

for a getrag 6spd add a couple grand ontop of that (3-4) depending on condition. all in all 6k or less is probably around where you will find a good 2j/6spd motorset.

you should get the 6spd rear end because besides vlsd you will have silly gear ratios in a 6 spd with a 5spd or auto rear end. you could probably deal with it, but then again a 5 spd would make more sense.

there is a writeup on the tunnel. have you never used a saw before?
driveshafts depend on the diff you are using. you could go custom but i believe there are viable oem options for most of the engine/tranny/rearend combos.

werd, im gonna be using my stock w58 5spd with a beefed up clutch on my 2j swap, and all in all it shouldnt cost me more than 3k if i drop it in myself.
add another 500 if you cannot extend/convert your own harness.
Old 09-10-08, 03:53 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
reading this made me stupider.
amen to that and everything else you said
Old 09-10-08, 05:23 PM
SCjzz
Driver

meh, it doesnt matter if im right or wrong about how much it costs. after all thats how much i heard it costs...more than once.

- ali sc3, i dont think u cought what i said there, but if u did and still wished to say it, in all fairness thats acceptable.
- and my b for making you stupid because of word of mouth from other stupids.

psst, lets just act like it was a technique to get him not to do this swap, for the obvious reasons!

Quick Reply: 2jz into sc300