Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sooo how exactly are camshafts supposed to look like?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-08, 07:16 PM
bomexlex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sooo how exactly are camshafts supposed to look like?

I took off my valve covers today on my 65k mile aristo engine, that I'm about to drop in my car, and noticed the camshafts are a pretty damn dark brown, almost black, color.

I had my ge motor out as well so i decided to take off those valve covers to compare. Well this motor has 170k and the camshafts are not nearly as dark nor do they have that semi burnt look to them as the gte. On both engines the cams on the exhaust side are lighter, but still dark non the less. I hope these dont need replacing because i'm on such a tight budget right now omg.
Old 09-11-08, 08:03 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

well that just means the previous did less oil changes and or did lots of short trip driving not letting the engine warm up. you may have sludge deposits...
Old 09-11-08, 08:18 PM
bomexlex
Rookie

hmm So if i have sludge deposits that would prevent the oil from draining as fast, i'm guessing. And my cams are probably ok? Too bad i don't have a camera or i'd show you guys. Before i put the motor in my car i'm planning on replacing the crank seals, valve cover gaskets, water pump and timing belt...I'm afraid to mess with the cam o-ring type seals for fear of screwing up the timing or something in that area..i don't know too much about the internals of an engine yet. Any recommendations whether or not i should replace the cam seals?
Old 09-11-08, 08:33 PM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

if you do crank seals, water pump, and timing belt your going to have to reset the timing anyway.

to replace the cam seals you need to take off the first bearing cap of each cam and pull the old seal out and put the new one in. When you put the bearing cap back you need to RTV the inside edges of the cap.

heres the 95 service manual for the supra, that should help a bit
http://myweb.usf.edu/~cbmurphe/95tsrm.rar
Old 09-11-08, 08:38 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

broskie, i hope you know that if you have an aristo motor you also need to swap the upper and lower oil pans right? getting those off will allow u to get a good look inside the engine and see if anything is wrong. and yes it's a reallllllllllllllllllll good time and honestly you should be doing all your pm work right now like seals gaskets and the t-belt waterpump t-stat all that stuff
Old 09-12-08, 08:29 AM
bomexlex
Rookie

I got a chance to take off the upper and lower oil pan from the aristo and it looks pretty good down there. Alittle brown from the oil but otherwise it looked good.

When i took the engine out of the aristo clip i noticed the back of the engine had quite a bit of oil and it really looked like it was leaking because of the valve cover gaskets. I hope that's my only problem.

I know ill have to take off the crank pully which is torqued to something like 250ft.lbs... I spoke to mark from club na-t and he said he has a complete gasket set for the gte for 230...BUT i already have the f/r main seals, and valve cover gaskets. I'm thinking of just getting the cam seals and call it a day...unless there's another big seal/gasket that anyone knows of that is prone to problems that should be changed in the process. Man i never knew changing the water pump required taking off the timing belt and all that good stuff..what a pain! OTOH it might be a blessing and give me a chance to replace somemore stuff...ugh
Old 09-12-08, 10:25 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

the gasket kit replaces nearly every single gasket on the motor, theres only a few on the block and a majority of the gaskets are on the head. A lot of the gaskets (mainly in the coolant system and intake) are metal and have a raised ridge around the gasket, once you torque them down they flatten out and make a seal, if you reuse those gaskets theres a chance they will leak. You also get all the gaskets for the fuel injectors. The headgasket is also included as well as the valve stem seals, those you may not want to do unless you have the head worked on. IMO it would be a good idea to go ahead and get the kit.

FYI you can get an OEM toyota gasket kit from the sponsored dealerships for about $230, there is also a head gasket kit that has all gaskets for the head for $160 (i usually call Curt at Elmhurst toyota in illinois, or call carson toyota lexus)

The waterpump is behind the timing belt and tensioner, so it has to come off. You also need to think about replacing the oil pump, if it goes out its not an easy task to replace with the motor in the car. A lot of people will pull the motor to replace the oil pump

Last edited by 93MSB; 09-12-08 at 10:37 AM.