Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Belt squeal! Need expert advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-08, 02:19 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hehe i never used a gator back but then again i've never had problems with a squeaky belt and my cars have 155k and 210k on them both using factory oem belts
Old 09-27-08, 04:39 AM
Shaar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cleaned the pulleys again, and i'll try my old belt. If that fails, i need to check the alignment of the pulleys. Not exactly sure on how to do that so if anyone has insight, please fill me in.

And if that fails i guess i have to try the gatorback belt. If not that, then an OEM belt.
Old 10-01-08, 11:44 PM
wwy059
Driver School Candidate

you may have a problem with your power steering pump. Pull the belt and check the idler tensioner and other components to see if they have bearing problems or are hard to turn. It is most likely more serious than just a belt.
Old 10-02-08, 02:16 AM
Shaar
Driver

As mentioned, power steering pump works great, no sound from that. And again, as mentioned, bearings are brand new and silent in the idler and tensioner pulleys.
Old 10-07-08, 03:06 AM
Shaar
Driver

Recleaned pulleys, let dry for a couple days with belt off. Sound went away. Its been relatively dry out (ie no humidity) until this morning. I went and started the car, and the belt started squealing just because of the humidity outside (upper 90-100% humidity).
Old 10-09-08, 07:19 PM
FreddyEarl
Rookie

Does it look like the car has ever been in a front end collision?
Old 10-10-08, 06:59 AM
Shaar
Driver

Not from what I can tell. Why?
Old 10-10-08, 07:33 AM
FreddyEarl
Rookie

Just figuring since you just bought the car and many people will trade them in after a accident. If the car was purchased from a small non-Lexus dealership they usually get the leftovers from the auctions. A front end collision could have hit one of the pulleys and bent something. You're problem is rare.
Old 10-10-08, 12:13 PM
VJZ
Lead Lap

GatorBacks are the greatest belts EVER.

I have one on my SC and its sweet.

For a squeal, check your PS pump. I have seen a few 2JZ cars that have had the AC compressor replaced and the PS pump somehow sags.

I have been meaning to have mine checked out, because I think that is my problem.
Old 10-10-08, 01:50 PM
SC300_704
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dude..just get the Gatorback and see if it'll go away. i was also skeptical at first. $15 won't hurt you from trying it...
Old 10-11-08, 02:58 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ok mine did that and where the belt rides on the tensioner.. when i reved or anything the belt slid towards the engine and rubbed against the motor. and on my friends car it did that and there was a chip on one of the pulleys. so cheack those two and hopefully ull be good..
Old 10-12-08, 04:53 PM
scwanabett
Driver School Candidate

DONT USE BELT DRESSING!!! my cars doing the same thing and even louder after i used the belt dressing, so i put some lube on the outside of the belt because i heard the sound from the tensioner pulley and sure enough the squeaking stopped
Old 10-12-08, 05:38 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FreddyEarl
Just figuring since you just bought the car and many people will trade them in after a accident. If the car was purchased from a small non-Lexus dealership they usually get the leftovers from the auctions. A front end collision could have hit one of the pulleys and bent something. You're problem is rare.
Uhhh what? lol How does that help him at all? Bent the pulley from a accident if that happened there might be more replaced then that and the car would have been totaled. Get a spray bottle and spray water on each pulley to see if it makes it worse or stops it. Listen close cause it might go away real quick. There might be some tension issue have a feeling just where it is I can't tell ya lol.

Last edited by SHOLEXMAN; 10-12-08 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-14-08, 10:24 PM
Shaar
Driver

Its not a noisy pulley issue at all. I bit the bullet and bought the gatorback since i was desperate. it was $27 after tax.

Squeeling is gone.... 99% of the time. you can barely barely hear a minute amount of squeeling at certain RPM's. I dont' think the belt was the problem, but the gatorback makes it quieter. I'm sure it still has the same issue, but its covered up now lol. Who knows....

I'm a believer. Gatorback ftw.
Old 11-25-08, 11:03 PM
wwy059
Driver School Candidate

I wonder if the spring in the tentioner is strong enough. Maybe it is time for a new one.

Quick Reply: Belt squeal! Need expert advice.