Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Belt squeal! Need expert advice.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-09, 04:40 AM
Shaar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE!!!

Ok kids, i've had a breakthrough. I pulled an all-nighter last night/this morning and installed the electric fans, bypassed the hydraulic pump with a shorter belt (72 5/8 inches was perfect btw), wired everything up, topped off coolant, and bam -- everything works like a charm (so far).

I let the car idle in my garage for over 30 mins so it would warm up (its coooooold here right now). Fans kicked on just before the temp needle got to the halfway point, and cooled it efficiently. Fans kicked off like a charm!

Only question i have... I followed the guidelines in the installation manual for my thermostatic fan switch, hooked it up as it said, and when i turn my car off WHILE the fans are running, the fans stay running til it cools the car down. I haven't decided if i like this or not yet. My friends old honda used to do this and i thought it was kinda neat.

I don't know if i tapped into the correct fuse or not. Under the driverside dash, in the fuse panel, i tapped into a fuse labeled ECU-B which i assumed was the cooling system ecu. The only other ecu fuse was the ignition ecu fuse. Should i tap into that instead so the fans will shut off when i shut the car off?
Old 01-11-09, 02:29 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember some Honda have that fan keep running for a short time although the engine is shut off. I wouldn't do that on the SC. The reason is it'll drain down the battery, and the SC is a bigger V8 engine that requires a lot more current & voltage to turn the engine. This 1UZ engine can be turned with a 550 CA battery but that's the minimum it can use. However, the Honda may require only 400 CA to turn the engine, especially the older model. I don't know about newer Honda.

I had tried to leave 2 fans on for 5 minutes and the engine couldn't be started, although I had a new 1000 CA battery. You may use the ignition source from the cooling ECU (under the passenger dash) and the thermo sensor probe stick in the radiator, so the fans only kick in when the sensor reaches its operating temp. Then the fans will shut off when the engine is off. The engine runs a little cooler now due to the winter, but it'll run hotter in summer even though the fans will work almost all the time. That's the disadvantage of the electric fans. They're not as precise as the hydraulic fan that runs with the engine speed.

Your car should feel a slightly more response than before with the hydraulic fan. I mean this swap releases properly a few hp that was used to turn the hydraulic fan.