Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So, I go to change the fuel filter and look what I find...(56k die)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-08, 02:40 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
I had one that was so rusted on... I cut the steel line, flared the end with a large screw driver and put on a fuel line.... In the process I burn off skin with the gas that kept coming out.

I want to do full SS braided lines one day though.

Yum...
Yeah I saw that in person and it didn't start peeling till 5 days later or so. Fully cleared up after 2 months maybe. Use a FLARE WRENCH ONLY! Unless you want to risk stripping the nut on the line. I would get a custom line made to the fuel filter since the line you have on there now is useless. Cost should be under $100 instead of the little mod (REDPHOENIX) did lol. Temporary solution do not leave it like that for long possible issues in the future.
Old 12-07-08, 02:52 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So basically fuel spewed out of the fuel filter and onto RedPhoenix's arm and days later it peeled the skin that bad? I'll probably have to wear some rubber gloves that go all the way up to my shoulders when I go to tackle this job.
Old 12-07-08, 04:12 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
So basically fuel spewed out of the fuel filter and onto RedPhoenix's arm and days later it peeled the skin that bad? I'll probably have to wear some rubber gloves that go all the way up to my shoulders when I go to tackle this job.
LOL well it was more his fault he did this. On the road for some reason I can't remember and it pooled in the gutter area. His arm was in it for a hour or so and it soaked into his arm I am guessing which caused that to happen. Just don't sit in it and clean it off accordingly if it gets on you. lol
Old 12-07-08, 10:42 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Step away from the tools.
Old 12-08-08, 06:50 AM
IS_Sunny
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spooled
Just pull the EFI fuse that is in the fuse box under the hood. No real need to pull any fuses or anything to replace the fuel filter, just dont turn the key on while working on it.

Opening the gas cap will also release the pressure in the tank, keeping alot of fuel from purging out of the line.

Once it is replaced, and everything is secure, try starting it before putting your wheel back on.

itll take a bit of cranking to get it started, dont worry, its just air pockets in the fuel lines... once its started check the filter to make sure there are no leaks.
Thanks for the info - that was perfect.

I got down in there and as I was worried - I couldn't get the damn bolts to turn - my brand new 14mm flare wrench was about to spin over the bolt

I tried each side 3 times, and they decided to cut my losses. It was 4pm on a Sunday so if all did not go smoothly, I would have been SOL for getting to work today.

This will be a Sat morning job for sure...
Old 12-08-08, 05:35 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Apparently there is no check valve in the fuel line before the filter, remember the tank is high in the trunk above the filter so gravity is your enemy. The fittings on those lines to the filter are the worst. Red pheonix, must be alergic to gas, Ive never been burned that bad. Ive heard there is a repair kit that mechanics can install, but I wont be checking into that for at least 20,000 miles. I also ran back and unscrewed the fuel cap, hoping it would help, but I didnt see a difference. Still sounds good on paper.
Old 12-12-08, 08:12 PM
Spooled
Lead Lap

Red Phoenix's wounds look cancerous...
Old 12-12-08, 09:41 PM
TougeSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix

Yum...
In my 8+ years of working on cars I have been tossed in, digested, have been sprayed in the eye, with every automotive fluid there is. I have never seen someone react to gasoline like that before. Amazing.

I usually will cap off the main fuel line from the gas tank with a rubber gromet of some sort. And please for the love of god use a flare nut wrench.
Old 12-12-08, 09:48 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

you'll have a baby smooth skin in no time at all
Old 12-13-08, 01:32 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kaydee
you'll have a baby smooth skin in no time at all
LOL while shaking head. 20 years later cancerous arm SICK!
Old 12-13-08, 07:29 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

I had all the brake line wrenches and rust penetrant, still didnt help. 10,000 miles from now when its time again, Ill be ready.
Old 12-13-08, 09:46 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hey.... my arm is healed lol. I could be alergic, never know...
Old 12-14-08, 01:26 AM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

i think i should replace mine too, but I'm either gonna do it close to an empty tank or remove the EFI fuse then start the car up and let it run idle til it cuts itself off from no fuel going to the engine...
Old 12-14-08, 03:51 AM
DrLex
Driver

I have a tip for those of you that find yourself under the car trying to do this job with limited tools.

1 - If you do not have a proper wrench, you can take a closed end wrench and convert it into a good flare nut tool. If you have a grinder/cut off wheel type tool, you can cut away about 1/2 inch of the closed end wrench. This will let

2 - This works better. For those hard to remove fuel filter nuts and brake line nuts, a BIG crescent wrench actually works great. A crescent wrench is not exactly the tool of choice, I always move to this when nothing else works. For some reason, they always crack it loose right away and no stripped nut. Make sure it is a BIG one.

3 - Hold the fuel filter with another wrench, while you break loose the nut. If you don't, you might find the fuel filter spinning around.
Old 01-02-09, 06:06 PM
klymax77
Driver School Candidate

Hi All i had the hardest time replacing mine as well. While taking off mine i slighlty bent one of the lines and i couldnt get it remove. I was in gas for about 40minutes and it burnt like hell. every 10 minutes i poured water on it. My real question is after replacing the filter it started after 2 trys. I ran it for about 10 minutes and shut it off. I then pour 5gallons of gas into the tank and now my car wont start. I tried now for a week and it wont start. I have another SC so i was not stranded but is there a kill switch for gas on this car. SC400

Quick Reply: So, I go to change the fuel filter and look what I find...(56k die)