Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Trufanatic's Official Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-10, 04:35 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trufanatic
aH! here i go again.

Question: got an mk3 w58 attached to the 2jz i bought. Will i need an MKIV tripod shifter? Its going into a 95 sc400.
I am about 90% sure you need to extend it someway.

I'm assuming you don't have a tripod style shifter housing on that mk3 w58.

I do not know if it will be interchangeable with the mkiv w58 tripod.

If this is the case then you have a few options.

1) sell it, get an sc300/mkiv w58, the sc300 can be both enclosed or tripod style. I believe all mkiv w58s are tripod design.

2) extend your shifter probably around 1.5-1.75 inches towards the rear. Cheap, effective, easy. I would probably go with this one if I just HAD to have that w58.

Personally I got an r154.
Old 01-30-10, 04:45 PM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No you can't use the mk4 tripod on MK3 trans.
W/O the MK4 tripod the shifter will be right in front of the radio, and you need to cut a hole about 2" long in front of the auto shifter hole and when you remove the center console, you will see a little hump on the tunnel that where the manual shifter will come thru if you don't have the MK4 W58.
Old 01-31-10, 07:15 AM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lemmiewink

2) extend your shifter probably around 1.5-1.75 inches towards the rear. Cheap, effective, easy. I would probably go with this one if I just HAD to have that w58.

Personally I got an r154.
I dont have to but it came with the motor, along with a lightened flywheel, heavy clutch and pressure plate so for the time being with just getting stuff going im saying why not. I kno this thing has a reputation and its a hit or miss under some real power but with what im spending AGAIN to go 2j and manual with single turbo right off the bat i cant afford a r154, then modding it to fit so it can come later.
Old 02-23-10, 02:09 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

well here is my 1800 dollar motor :-)

oil pan, ac lines, engine brackets and mkiv supra mounts, clutch pedal assembly and master cylinder and some other stuff

this a swan neck shifter?

all that is going in here. 95 SC4
Old 02-23-10, 02:11 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Motor came with a 60-1(new) but has a small back housing which im going to change out, also came with a stage 3 clutch and lightened flywheel.
Old 02-24-10, 10:54 AM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

^can someone look at the pick and tell me if i got the correct manual shift lever?^
Old 02-25-10, 11:53 AM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

So i had a 9hr flight from spain monday, picked up the motor tuesday and have had class since then. I have finals that im suppose to be studying for but.. I COULDNT HELP MYSELF!

This is what it looked like when i got started:

wasnt sure if i was going to attempt the timing belt today but it did look literally brand new:

eww:

harness:

WTF!? only damange on the harness. i dunno whats missing, its over on the side of the twin setup

kinda small, huh?

i just had to:

I did notice that the crank seal was leaking, oil was leaking from the plastic housing behind the crank pulley. Plans for tomorrow:

-pull fuel rail and lower intake manifold
-clean intake manifold and TB, then prep for either paint or polish, i dunno yet
-remove the rest of accessories(clean these too)
-clean the top of the head ( just all kinda of ish there from sitting around for years)
-remove, check and replace spark plugs
-prep new GE oil pan
- oh yea, block needs to be cleaned also

that should be a good few hours of work.

Last edited by trufanatic; 02-25-10 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-25-10, 10:39 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

man, that looks like a fun build. take your time and gl!
Old 02-28-10, 03:05 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

got all accessories off today. removed plugs, engine brackets, lower intake manifold and fuel rail and some other stuff.

clean intake manifold and TB

valve covers, intake manifold and TB getting sent off for polishing.

having HELL with the crank pulley so tomorrow im going to take battery and do the started trick

Need to have the engine refreshed before the end of this month(march) so i can take it to the shop and have them do everything while im away for a month.
Old 07-06-10, 05:12 PM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

I know this is probably the most neglected swap thread ever but i apologise, the air force comes first so life and the sc had to be put on hold. Anyway, while i was away i had a friend finish prepping the motor and i've been back in fl 3weeks now and the swap has been consuming alot of both my friends time and my money.

Update:

-I got a full jz r154 swap in there and ended up ditching the w58 before the motor even got in.
- i wanted to be different and run a full sc4 hydrolic setup, which worked out ok using all the sc4 stuff without a issue
- today 7/6 we started her up (still smiling) and noticed that hydro water pump had a small leak (but im still smiling)

future plans as of now:
- i left my friend putting in the master cylinder and running the clutch line
- pulling down the entire hydro setup and ripping everything off the front of the motor...again and changing out the water pump and going with a clutch fan setup.
- after the little things, which have proven to be the worst with this project, she's off to the piping shop

future, future plans:
- precision billet 6765
- 850 cc injectors and rail
- Aeromotive fpr kit
- dual fuel pump setup

aiming for 500-550 on pump.

SHE'S ALIVE... ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!! click for vid

Last edited by trufanatic; 07-06-10 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-06-10, 08:37 PM
Gspec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on getting her running.......glad you didn't spin a rod bearing, revving the motor after it had been sitting that long...
Old 07-06-10, 10:33 PM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice.. now i want to see numbers
Old 07-07-10, 08:46 AM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gspec
Congrats on getting her running.......glad you didn't spin a rod bearing, revving the motor after it had been sitting that long...
she ran for an hour+ before i got there

Originally Posted by BAD954BOI
nice.. now i want to see numbers
still up in the air if im keeping the 60-1 on there, i keep hearing that its too small so im going to run it at wastegate pressure (14.5psi) for a couple months just to see how the motor holds up before i start throwing any big boost at it. Tranny went in with a decent clutch so all i really need is fuel and a decent turbo but im in no rush right now. i attempted this a year ago with another sc and i abandoned the project... just a heads up to few, its NOT cheap.

whats needed for sc400 swap:

-complete sc300 oil pan with baffle
-sc300 ac lines that come right off compressor. these need to be professionally mated to the 400 lines. you can use the complete sc300 ac lines but that means you'll have to change the evaporator behind the dash.
- if youre going manual, get a plug and play harness made.
- if youre going manual, you need a soarer drive shaft or the front half of a r154 and the back of a sc3. your sc4 back driveshaft wont mate to the r154
-you'll need a 92-95 sc3 manual swan shifter ($158) at lexus or a soarer shifter. And you can get the shift boot at drift motion
-get 1jz or sc 300 engine mounts and you'll need sc300 engine brackets
- a mk3 pedal set, mk4 supra pedal set will work just fine! just an fyi
- dont be stubborn like myself, ditch the hydrofan and hydro pump and go with a clutch fan setup... PERIOD. The clutch fan wont give you clearance issues when it comes time for IC piping
-also put a budget aside for a lot of little dumb ish, they add up quick! i say 5-800 for misc and random stuff
- all thats listed above will get 2jz in a sc400 - keep in mind tho you'll need good fluids to initially run the motor before you drain everything again, timing belt, serpentine belt, ALL seals....yada yada yada.

Feel free to ask any question but search on the forum like i did and youll find 99.1 % of what you need.

Last edited by trufanatic; 07-07-10 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-27-10, 05:48 AM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Questions:

What are the downsides of running a R154?

Whats a good recommend fuel setup for 550 on pump?
Old 08-06-10, 09:09 AM
trufanatic
Lead Lap

Update:

Car is fully together, the new pump in on and life is good. I decided not to keep the 60-1 on there and went with a precision pt70 .
Car is getting all piping done over the next week. Plans are 3'' everything going down into a pair of apexi mufflers. From there, im going to drive the car conservatively for a month, just to make sure everything is kosher then all im going to need is fuel and a tune and she'll be done. Like i said before, im not asking for much... just 500-550 on pump(for now). Pics to come later before piping is done... The car's not even DONE done, but its a rewarding feeling doing this build yourself and not buying a car already built.

Quick Reply: Trufanatic's Official Build thread