Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Got my MVP Headers today

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-08, 08:14 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I'm def not trying to **** on your parade. Enjoy em man!
Old 10-15-08, 08:34 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Nice manifold good add on!
Old 10-15-08, 08:36 PM
mteele
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I get the same thing at 2500rpm and 2900 rpm...wierd
Old 10-15-08, 08:50 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DasBach
Well I'm def not trying to **** on your parade. Enjoy em man!
I'll try

Quick question: How big is the exhaust @ the cat? im planning on getting a 3" exhaust, and was wondering if it would bolt directly onto the stock cat.

This is just until i get the (modded) HKS MP + Magnaflow Cat (both 3") welded on.
Old 10-16-08, 06:41 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

for what the header is...it is meant for a modified motor, ie better flowing head. thats why they make the primaries bigger. if you make the primaries bigger without increasing the mass flow rate of air through it then you will have slow gas velocity...which can contribute to slower rpm rise.

500 for a header though? thats steep. at that point save up about 1500 and go na-t.

i cant justify 500 dollars for about 20hp....if that.

1500 dollars gets me in 300ish wheel range.

still wanna see some sound and video clips though
Old 10-16-08, 11:52 AM
FreddyEarl
Rookie

Looks good. May need a set of cams and or higher rev limit to maximize gains those are some large primaries.
Old 10-28-08, 09:01 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nobleblack
haha sorry to bring this up but I was just curious to whether the OP got the header on yet.
Nope, ahvent gotten them on yet. Was waiting for a friend of mine to come help me install them, reserved a day off (today) and just our luck, its a horrible day. Raining, windy and 37*.

Thursday, getting the exhaust (HKS Superdragger) so maybe ill FINALLY get this stuff installed This coming Saturday, or next Tuesday.
Old 10-29-08, 10:26 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

greddy is pretty much out of business.

get it on already. lol. you dont need a friend other then for company. it will take you 1.5 hours tops.
Old 10-29-08, 01:26 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This header is a really good power adder. I put this on my brother's SC300 with just and intake, exhaust, and a 150 shot of dry nitrous. They react well to upgrades. It would definitely suck if you spend all that money to bolt up on stock exhaust parts. My setup was basically Header, No cats, No resonators, 2.5" piping to a single HKS exhaust. I was able to get the SC into the low 14s without traction on street tires. With slicks I would have been in the 13s easy. Definitely a great upgrade for the SC300. The guys over at MVP will also give you some of the best customer service.

If I could change one thing about this header it would be the angle of the lower flange that is supposed to bolt up to the stock cat. If your car is super slammed (1 to 2 inches of clearance between the chassis and the ground) then you'll know what Im talking about.
Old 10-29-08, 02:40 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
get it on already. lol. you dont need a friend other then for company. it will take you 1.5 hours tops.
I was thinking that. Im starting to get impatient i mean im pretty sure i can do this myself, doesn't seem all that hard. Just gotta get a working jack

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
This header is a really good power adder. I put this on my brother's SC300 with just and intake, exhaust, and a 150 shot of dry nitrous. They react well to upgrades. It would definitely suck if you spend all that money to bolt up on stock exhaust parts. My setup was basically Header, No cats, No resonators, 2.5" piping to a single HKS exhaust. I was able to get the SC into the low 14s without traction on street tires. With slicks I would have been in the 13s easy. Definitely a great upgrade for the SC300. The guys over at MVP will also give you some of the best customer service.
I agree on the MVP service, they really dont play around, and are class act fellas.

Thats good to know that i can possibly get into the 14s/high 13s with I/H/E and 150 shot. im not really a fan of N20, but anything for speed! haha Can the 2JZ handle a 150 dry shot without any fuel mods? or would i need a SAFC/Injectors?
Old 10-29-08, 04:19 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by unreal-
Thats good to know that i can possibly get into the 14s/high 13s with I/H/E and 150 shot. im not really a fan of N20, but anything for speed! haha Can the 2JZ handle a 150 dry shot without any fuel mods? or would i need a SAFC/Injectors?
The 2J is a bomb proof motor. I pushed 150 dry with no supporting mods just to see what it can do at the track. There was very little detonation at high RPMs on a couple gears. I never adjusted the timing even though I should have. Another good supporting mod would be a fuel computer and an air/fuel meter to get the best performance out of it. But just 150 dry will do fine. I really wish I had my slicks back then. I was so close to the 13s.
Old 10-29-08, 05:35 PM
durtysc300
Lexus Test Driver

do you mind if i asked where you got these?
Old 10-29-08, 07:46 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

Originally Posted by durtysc300
do you mind if i asked where you got these?
www.mvpmotorsports.com under the N/A Supra --> Engine performance Section.

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
The 2J is a bomb proof motor. I pushed 150 dry with no supporting mods just to see what it can do at the track. There was very little detonation at high RPMs on a couple gears. I never adjusted the timing even though I should have. Another good supporting mod would be a fuel computer and an air/fuel meter to get the best performance out of it. But just 150 dry will do fine. I really wish I had my slicks back then. I was so close to the 13s.
Awesome info!

What kind of kit did you use for the N20?
Old 10-30-08, 11:26 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts

Welcome to the NA club! And, yes, depending on your exhaust, you will have some raspy-ness in your exhaust when it resonates (hondas do it all the time), I believe it has to do with exhaust velocities - the faster the louder. From my experience, i'd replace the manifold-to-head gaskets that came with the header with new toyota metal ones - they seal better and won't blow out in time. Now if you wanna get rid of your second cat altogether, try the Blitz or HKS midpipe. It'll bolt up perfectly between the MVP header and your cat-back, and they are available at MVPMotorsports. Oh, and I just used a typical 3-inch 2 hole exhaust pipe gasket between the header and my midpipe. No leak issues as of yet...
Old 10-30-08, 02:24 PM
deruvian
Driver

Originally Posted by unreal-
Quick question: How big is the exhaust @ the cat? im planning on getting a 3" exhaust, and was wondering if it would bolt directly onto the stock cat.
The header is 2.5" with a 2-bolt flange (where the cat used to be). You will need an adapter to bolt up to a 3" setup.

I have these headers, connected to a 3" setup. It's 3" all the way back, with the first cat being replaced by a Magnaflow high-flow metallic substrate cat, the second cat being replaced by a Magnaflow high-flow ceramic cat, then a small glass pack, then a split, then dual race series Magnaflow mufflers.

It sounds really good, but it was very loud at first (had to get the glass pack installed). It was still loud after that, but it has quieted down just a touch over the last few months. When there is little load on the engine it's mostly silent in the car, but when I get on the pedal it's quite loud.

I don't experience any of the rasp that people often talk about with these headers. Maybe you'll get it on a 2.25" or 2.5" system, but apparently not on a 3" system. I dunno.

The only downside so far is that it appears to be running rich, as there is a lot of carbon on the tips already and I sometimes hear what sounds a bit like backfiring. I'm really not too concerned as I already have the SAFC installed, I just need it tuned (damn you midterms!)

Enjoy your new shinies - it'll be an adventure at the least.

Quick Reply: Got my MVP Headers today