Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Got my MVP Headers today

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-08, 04:58 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mna im waiting on the installment on these!
Old 11-17-08, 09:13 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tomorrow after work!

Got the angle grinder with the metal cutting wheel. This bish is coming off.

Only problem is that it's going to be COLD tomorrow! high of 43*. At least the car will cool down faster!
Old 11-20-08, 02:06 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

Once again, luck strikes again.

Friend had an emergency, and we couldnt get them on.

Another week...
Old 11-20-08, 06:28 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol deng, i hope you can get these on soon.
Old 11-20-08, 09:38 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

Same

part of me is SO sick and tired of waiting...but waiting a week is worth it. Better than paying up to 200 for a shop to put it on.

but at the same time im putting together the funds to get the MP/catback modded and installed.
Old 11-25-08, 07:04 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

update:

HEADERS ARE IN!!!!!!

Car sounds SO much better

Of course there were minor snags here and there (grinder battery couldnt hold charge worth a damn/ new header was a PITA to affix to the block/a few nuts decided to take the studs with them/it was ~29-35*/front O2 sensor needed to be extended a few inches (using the old o2 wires) Found out that i didnt need any of the gaskets i bought to seal the headers to the MP. Using new bolts (from the friendly neighborhood toyota dealer) it was tightened with a furious anger and its pretty sealed.

---

Here is a pic of the old one RIGHT off the car:

Yes the pipe was completely seperated from the flange. No wonder i had no power! I was practically running on 3 cyl!

---

Vids will be posted soon.

Keep in mind this is with the stock MP back.
Old 12-04-08, 05:33 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

vids:

revving: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEC7A02SPrI (1.30min)
ride/in-car: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcTETBTeWOU (~7.00min)
Old 12-04-08, 05:54 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesnt sound that bad with the stock mufflers. Great job!
Old 12-04-08, 06:21 PM
unreal-
Pole Position

Thanks

i have some impressions too: im reposting it from another forum i visit:

Impressions so far:

- Holy asswaffles these are LOUD! My car is almost deafening when i floor it at anything past 1500rpm. Even if i am at 20% throttle i sound like im hauling ***.

- I get a nice quick POP sound if im free revving it ~4-5k. These headers get rid of the precat (see post above) and thus i have a bit more engine noise then im used to.

- If i apply any gas above 2krpm the car drones pretty loud. Not loud enough to the point where you cant hear the person next to you, but its VERY noticeable that i have something under the hood.

- I've lost the shiny SS look. Now its a badass looking gold/purple/blueish color.

- It is a tad bit raspy throughout the rev range. Most noticable ~2-3k. Almost Honda-ish. very very VERY hard not to draw attention to the car. If you are looking for a stealth sound, these headers are NOT it.

- The car definitely wants to pull much stronger now, and wants to rev above 4k easier. before, when i would go above 4k the car would feel like its hitting a brick wall, and acceleration would slow...i figured it was a major restriction in the stock ****. Now it pulls like a dirty ***** until redline.

- Gas mileage is improved, ive been hauling for the past day and im looking to get 140-150mi 1/2 tank. If i drive like a grandma next tank (unlkely) i would probably get 300-330/tank.

More coming soon...
More:

- As a result of the precat loss, my car smells like a gas station when i first start it, and when im idling in traffic. You can only smell this when you open the doors, or if you got the windows down.

- Also, the car pops as if its turbo when i let off the gas periodically. Especially after i had been driving hard. Almost SRT-4 like. Makes the car sound really gritty. Keep in mind this is with the stock hardware so it'll probably become lower pitched once you put a aftermarket solution on it.

- Since these headers dont have a flex pipe, i would install one if you are going to run an aftermarket system.