Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Water pump dead?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-08, 11:36 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump dead?

Ok my swap has reached a landmark last night and it started.

I started the car today and tried to burp the new coolant to get the air out. The radiator never got warmer as the engine did. So I take off the upper radiator hose and there is no coolant coming out?

What is going on? The only thing that I could think of is that my water pump is dead. Anyone with this experience?
Old 10-23-08, 02:08 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

um water pump cant really die. your thermostat didnt open so id say get a new thermostat. take out the thermostat and put it in a pot with water then put it on the stove and listen for a click. or just do it the easy way and get a new thermostat. but it takes a long time for it to open in the car u have to wait...
Old 10-23-08, 03:11 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tired letting the motor reach its normal temperature? Once its at that level just hold a high RPM and see if the juices flow without the upper hose on. If nothing, keep revving, go back in your engine bay, squeeze the lower hose..If its soft and not swelling up with the hot motor then your T-stat is not opening up. For as long as your engine is moving and your pulleys are rotating, your water pump will keep on pumping. If your water pump weeps water through the weep valve under the water pump pulley, then its time to replace. Good luck.
Old 10-23-08, 03:40 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
Have you tired letting the motor reach its normal temperature? Once its at that level just hold a high RPM and see if the juices flow without the upper hose on. If nothing, keep revving, go back in your engine bay, squeeze the lower hose..If its soft and not swelling up with the hot motor then your T-stat is not opening up. For as long as your engine is moving and your pulleys are rotating, your water pump will keep on pumping. If your water pump weeps water through the weep valve under the water pump pulley, then its time to replace. Good luck.
Yes i did let it run to operating temperature. I squeezed every hose from the inlet to the heater, to the upper radiator hose. It was not swelling up or hot. So I guess the Tstat is gone.

I ordered a new one should be here in two days. Man once I got my car started I get paranoid with everything.

*edit*

BTW before I noticed that coolant was not circulating I was running the car to operating temperature. I revved the engine to about 3~4 k rpm... Would that have damaged my turbos? This is a 2jzgte usdm turbos

Last edited by lemmiewink; 10-23-08 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-23-08, 06:48 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
BTW before I noticed that coolant was not circulating I was running the car to operating temperature. I revved the engine to about 3~4 k rpm... Would that have damaged my turbos? This is a 2jzgte usdm turbos
I doubt it very much, usdm twins are stronger. I overheated my 1j really bad couple months back because of a bad thermostat and the twins never had a issue or anything else. Btw ive been running my twins at 20 psi for a while now and they still come on smooth and hard with no smoke.
Old 10-23-08, 11:54 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

I forgot to mention I let the engine run several times trying to get coolant to circulate. I'm just sort of scared that the turbos locked up. This is my first project, so i'm very excited yet very scared I'll screw up bad.
Old 10-25-08, 02:18 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lemmiewink
Would that have damaged my turbos? This is a 2jzgte usdm turbos
No you're alright.
Old 10-25-08, 06:02 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Replaced thermostat. Still no coolant circulating... still overheating.. is there no way it is the water pump? Its not leaking.. what is going on? why won't coolant circulate?
Old 10-25-08, 06:03 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

BTW I let it run till its almost to the red zone in oil temp. What should I do???!!

Also there is no weep port on my water pump. Is it time to change it?

Also, I forgot to mention. its on jackstands on the front. So its on a tilt. Does this matter? SHould it be on the ground?

Last edited by lemmiewink; 10-25-08 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-25-08, 08:46 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Get it off the jackstands and drive it around with NO thermostat and lets see what happens. Your water pump should have a weep hole. Its very difficult to spot so you kind of have to use your finger tips to feel for it around the bottom near the pulley.
Old 10-25-08, 09:13 PM
1siksc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you did swap you water pu,p for the stock supra tt one right?
Old 10-25-08, 09:45 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Still can't find the weep hole, but I tried it again and kept te rpms up and some rust water came up the upper hose!! The hose was disconected.

Before I could keep doing it though it was almost to the read zone again in oil temp. This is with jackstands on.

Tomorrow I will take it off jack stands to see if it will help, and try it agian in the morning. Thanks for your help!
Old 10-25-08, 09:46 PM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CThompsen
you did swap you water pu,p for the stock supra tt one right?
I didnt need to. My motor IS from a supra. No swapping of oilpans or water pumps.! JDM too! Unlike your supplier, mine got it right. A 6 spd supra motor with uncut harness, and a mines tuned ecu for free to boot! 2grand shipped
Old 10-26-08, 01:52 AM
dinhnerz
Pole Position

Are you doing this with or without the cap on? Heres what I do when I fill the engine up with coolant. I would fill it up then let it run with the heater to hottest and blower to highest. Once its at operation temperature I would rev the engine a couple of time to check whatever air is left inside the system. This would be also adding more coolant whenever its not at the fullest. This is with cap off. If what you are doing with the cap on, it could mean your cap is defective and it wont hold pressure. Your block could be clogged, when original owner could have missed different coolants together.
Old 10-26-08, 06:21 AM
lemmiewink
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dinhnerz
Are you doing this with or without the cap on? Heres what I do when I fill the engine up with coolant. I would fill it up then let it run with the heater to hottest and blower to highest. Once its at operation temperature I would rev the engine a couple of time to check whatever air is left inside the system. This would be also adding more coolant whenever its not at the fullest. This is with cap off. If what you are doing with the cap on, it could mean your cap is defective and it wont hold pressure. Your block could be clogged, when original owner could have missed different coolants together.
Yes cap is off

Quick Reply: Water pump dead?