Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Repacing rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-08 | 08:19 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Default Repacing rear main seal

I searched but didn't find any information on how exactly to do it.

I haven't invested in a repair manual yet but was wondering if someone wouldn't mind scanning me the schematics for the tranny/ rear main seal.

I have some friends who are fairly experienced and willing to help me tackle this project, I'm aware it will take between 6-8hrs to drop the exhaust/tranny.

Thanks!

-Troy
Old 11-05-08 | 07:19 AM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

bump ttt...
Old 11-05-08 | 08:13 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

its simple. drop the trans, take off the flywheel/flexplate, remove old seal, install new seal.

do you have any specific questions regarding dropping the trans?

one advice i can give you is to unbolt the motor mounts from the k-member. this way when you undo the trans mount and drop the back it will not put a lot of stress on the mounts.

everything else is kind of self explanatory when you get under there.
Old 11-05-08 | 10:09 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TroySC300
I searched but didn't find any information on how exactly to do it.

I haven't invested in a repair manual yet but was wondering if someone wouldn't mind scanning me the schematics for the tranny/ rear main seal.

I have some friends who are fairly experienced and willing to help me tackle this project, I'm aware it will take between 6-8hrs to drop the exhaust/tranny.

Thanks!

-Troy
Very straight foward, just time consuming and a PITA without a lift. The seal is the easy part, just cut off the old seal lip, pry it out with a screwdriver and shove the new one in there (with grease on the new seal lip). It might be difficult installing the new seal, just be careful not to damage the seal as you put it in. Good luck!
Old 11-05-08 | 05:26 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

If your doing this on the ground use a jack with a wide lifting surface. Drain the tranny fluid so you don't make a mess,Take the the drive shaft out,pull the electrical plugs out to the tranny, you could take out the motor mount bolts to get easier access to the tranny bolts, remove the torque converter remove the flex plate, you might have to use a chisel or pick to remove the seal. Make sure not to damage the surface cause you could possibly cause another non repairable oil leak. Lubricate the new gasket and use a rubber mallet to tap the gasket in. Use grease inside it to hold it in place cause it will suck if it falls out. Reassemble in reverse order and then fill the tranny up with the proper fluid and amount. Should be in that order just the labor is the fun part. Good luck if you have any other questions ask away. Where in Florida do you live BTW?
Old 11-05-08 | 07:31 PM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

I live in Niceville. I think I'll just suck it up and take it to the Toyota stealership :P
Old 11-06-08 | 01:26 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

Yah good luck with bringing it to the dealership. They will kick your *** on price. If you bring it to another shop none Lexus realted there should be a big labor price difference. I thought you where kidding about the city you lived in. I thought you made Niceville up. Top of Florida man I guess I can't help you out then.lol Sorry