Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-08, 07:38 PM
fhkhan_109
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking SC400 Vibration

I am extremely greatful to this forum because of a significant amount of resources related to the problems I was experiencing in my 1998 SC400 with 118k miles. This is why, I felt obligated to share my experiences with the members. I bought my SC400 in June 2008. From the very begining, it had a strange vibration during start up. I always warm up my car for about 5 minutes. During this 5 minute time, the car used to go through a vibration which is pretty much like a harmonic oscillation (frequency of 0.5 Hz). The other issue used to kick in when I did hit the interstate. An annoying vibration at 45-55 mph. At 60 MPH, the vibration is reduced, however it is still there. Once warmed up, vibration during running is not bad, however, the steering used to vibrate at stop.

I took the car to Toyota for check up. They did not find anything wrong. Then I found this forum, came to know about the Tranny mount issue and the engine mount problems. Went to dealership again. Told the guy to replace the tranny mount (as it was cheaper than replacing the motor mounts). The initial strange vibration at start up is gone completely. Still I had the vibration at certain RPM (1700-1800 RPM); its like a resonance. I suspected that the motor mounts are also due. Got a quote from the dealership. Estimated: about $450 for two motor mounts. Did it in a local but reliable mechanic place at $286. All vibrations are gone. Like many people say: Glass smooth.

Hope this helps to repair you car and sove the vibration problem. I had an alternator issue that I am going to explain in another thread.

Last edited by fhkhan_109; 11-08-08 at 08:16 PM.