Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need advice (Engine Swap ???)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-08 | 01:42 PM
clevercat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dv8
Do suspension, brakes, and body mods before a motor.

People in this country do everything backwards.
Hey, watch it!
You Canadian you...!
Don't you need visa and passport to post on our forum??
That was funny!

Anyway, I agree with Dv8 on suspension and brakes.
You have to be able to stop and turn before going fast.

I am not talking about just throwing some cheap Ebay pads and coil overs either.

Do the suspension and brakes, take it to track, see if you can blow your engine and then swap it.
Go big and do it right on first time.
Otherwise, stay stock until it blows up and get another GE.

I prefer 2JZ-GTE unless the TT V8.
Old 11-10-08 | 10:41 PM
ScSlide
Rookie

thank yall for the advice.. i currently just did some minor changing and took out all the panel switches, center console, dome light and side swtiches for the seat controls and painted them all a matte black... looks pretty clean ill post pics tomorrow...

but back to the swap im really not sure yet what i should do what would be one of the cheapest but yet still give a good amount of hp.?
Old 11-11-08 | 01:09 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Then again the role of how much HP would you want? If you want easy power without spending much. I believe the 2jz-gte are hp friendly, while 1jz you got to throw some money before you can make some good power. 1jz can make up to 400 easy, while 2jz can make up to 500 easy, with the same amount of mods on the 1jz. Im not sure i think im talking out of my *** right now but i am dead tired so correct me if you wish.
Old 12-22-08 | 04:31 PM
ScSlide
Rookie

time to get this thread back started.....

i want try and make 500 what would be the best bet? try to find a 2jz-gte and build it a little or ????
Old 12-22-08 | 04:37 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by ScSlide

i want try and make 500 what would be the best bet? try to find a 2jz-gte and build it a little or ????
Moved...Engine Forum
Old 12-22-08 | 05:12 PM
HeisLegend
Lexus Test Driver

SC300jz probably answered that for you.

Do some research on both engines, do numbers, then see what works for you.
Old 12-22-08 | 05:25 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Well around 500 HP you have all your choices available
1jz will do it
2jz-ge NA-t will do it
2jz-gte will do it too.

Option #1: Look for a 1jz with a R154. It will allow you to drive the car and save up cash (if needed) to upgrade your clutch, flywheel (optional), go single turbo, bigger injectors, and electronics to monitor your car.

Option #2: You can go NA-T rebuild if needed, look for a R154 for safety. Some people claim they can hold the power and a lot on here say they can't, I wouldn't risk it and just upgrade. Similar things will be needed to the 1jz, electronics, turbo kit, 1jz flywheel (if you get the R154) clutch for the R154 and blah blah blah you can search on this later. If you don't have a second car you might be without a car for a bit.

Option #3: 2jz-gte w/ V160 umm well what can I say??? It will deferentially hold up the power on the transmission, should be able to make the power goals you want too but you might want to invest to upgrade your clutch, flywheel (optional), go single turbo, bigger injectors, and electronics to monitor your car. But like the 1jz you can drive your car around.

I am going with the NA-t route with the R154. My goal is 500hp - 600hp, from what I have learned from a lot of people on here and Clubna-t.com is to search and read about things. Once you are completely lost ask about what you are confused/lost on. There is really no "cheap" way to go if you are looking for both power and reliability. The hardest thing to do is making up what route to go. Once you figure that out, start a list and ask people to double check it or to critic it to make it better. Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to pm me or AIM.