Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

new clutch!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-08, 08:01 PM
speed6
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking new clutch!

Ok so i bought a clutch for my 80 supra(91 turbo swap bla bla bla), but never put it in. it's a stage 4 clutch net. i put it in my lex last night.
it is a 6 puck sprung hub with ceramic buttons. ingages in an instant. stalled 5times on the way home last night. burns rubber like a sunova. (not on purpose either, the old clutch was a 6 puck as well, i didn't put it in. but i did wear it out. it was cutting at least 3mm into the pressure plate and rivet to rivet. and still was holding. the piliot bearing was broken (completely) and i figured i'd replace the release bearing as well. took 3 hours to do but would have taken less if i didn't have to go to the AZ to get a 201cc bearing. i bought one at my work but grabbed a 202cc1 by accident. anyway was an easy install. seemed to gain some extra hp cause the other was slipping.

check it out on my myspace! \
or come see me spin out at adam's track on thursdays in the IE! hit me up for info
Old 12-18-08, 07:08 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice! is it that much of a sacrifice of driving comfort for sport? or you just have to learn how to balance the new clutch?
Old 12-18-08, 09:55 PM
scfocus
Pole Position

The install on the clutch was 3 hours? How much did it cost? My car is revving up in high gears when I gas it (instead of moving) lol
Old 12-19-08, 10:02 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by speed6
anyway was an easy install. seemed to gain some extra hp cause the other was slipping.
you didnt get any more hp. you just installed a more efficient way of transmitting it.

get i get dyno results please of the increase

Originally Posted by scfocus
The install on the clutch was 3 hours? How much did it cost? My car is revving up in high gears when I gas it (instead of moving) lol
my clutch install took about 4 hours with a few smoke breaks. its an easy job if you have a lift. doing it on the ground sux. you might as well pull out the motor too, which is easy anyways. pulling a motor in a mk3 supra takes about an hour with 2 people working.
Old 12-19-08, 10:34 PM
Leexus
Driver

is there a how to? i gotta change my clutch aswell.
Old 12-20-08, 08:30 AM
IonFeright
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Leexus
is there a how to? i gotta change my clutch aswell.
I did my clutch last weekend using THIS as a guide. Seemed to help alot.

I installed the South Bend 6 puck unsprung Feramic clutch disc with the ACT heavy duty pressure plate.
Old 12-20-08, 09:09 AM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

With a 6 puck unsprung clutch your not going to have your comfort. That is more on the end of performance/racing useage. Have to bring the rpms up also you won't stall it out.lol It all depends on do you want it violent or smooth sailing. Good job on the clutch!
Old 12-20-08, 09:23 AM
IonFeright
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
With a 6 puck unsprung clutch your not going to have your comfort. That is more on the end of performance/racing useage. Have to bring the rpms up also you won't stall it out.lol It all depends on do you want it violent or smooth sailing. Good job on the clutch!
tell me about it haha. Yea you really have to rev match and sort of launch the car but its really not that bad once you get used to it. And launching....omg!!!
Old 01-05-09, 10:58 AM
speed6
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a sprung hub, so mild comfort . no more creeping on red lights!. the most important tool in this whole thing is PLANNING! And don't forget long extensions. i remember doing it on my supra in my back yard with hand tools.PITA! as for cost on the install, my friend owns a shop gave me the keys. he only asks that i leave it cleaner than i found it, which i hard (since it's pretty clean). cost on the clutch? i cant remember i bought it in 2002 (yea) for my supra and never installed it. i ordered it from this place that specializes in TOYota SPORTs, and it took them 6 months to get it. i remember when i was 18/19 i went in there a couple of times and creamed my pants. they have a badd *** RA65 convertable in there, and that inspired me to drop 3k(yea i was young) in a 22RE for my celica, (that i never finished and loaned out the motor for circle track racing, it won 75% of the races it was in last year, the others they got dq'd 2x and some dnf's). just drove it to AR where my mom lives no problems, except the door froze and the actuator got stuck.