Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

ls1 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-08, 12:09 AM
That-Guy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as much as i love the jz engines and appreciate the ease and simplicity that the jz series has when it comes to fitting in our cars, i do get annoyed when i see people downplay the lsx engine. I would never ever put one in an sc because it's simply not worth it, but if i had to argue towards what engine i thought was the best for the money, i'd probably put it on an lsx. No they aren't jdm, and no they aren't crazy 2000 horsepower beasts. But i guarantee you, you can take that engine down to the local autoshop and they'll know what they are looking at, you can order parts straight from any catalogue or online store without having to weight 6-7 weeks for them to be shipped from japan, parts are everywhere, lsx's are everywhere because they are such an amazingly simple platform that has proven to work over and over. And i don't car how much power you can crank out of a turbo, i will take the same na power over comparable turbo power any day. An ls3 with a cam upgrade and long tubes will push out over 500 hp and comparable torque #'s of naturally aspirated, beautifully curved power, and more importantly, it will deliver ALL DAY LONG without breaking a sweat. I love the lsx platform, it's a formula that works,

Would i put one in an sc, F#*& no It's not worth it, but honestly to all those who doubt the benefits of an lsx, re educate yourself.

Man i want an ls3 rx7 soooooo badddddd. But i love my car more than anything.

If anyones going to do a ls1 swap into an sc, more power to you, i wouldn't do it, but go ahead, i'd read the thread.
Old 12-31-08, 01:02 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All ideas sound good, but they're all based on personal preferences. To me, it's just not about the power overall, but it's about the technical challenge and the rarity of the project. You'll get bored with easy stuffs. But if you don't do it right, the whole project will be frustrated.

Last edited by stevechumo; 12-31-08 at 01:20 AM.
Old 12-31-08, 03:22 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 Questions, why does Thatguy call an LS1 an lsx ? 2ND Where is Stevechumos build thread on his single turbo 1UZ ?
Old 12-31-08, 05:08 PM
That-Guy
Pole Position

sorry, guess i've spent too much time on the v8rx7 boards, lsx means any engine from the ls series, if you can call it that, basically lsx= ls1, ls2, ls3, ls6, ls7, ls9
Old 12-31-08, 07:45 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by over40driv
2 Questions, why does Thatguy call an LS1 an lsx ? 2ND Where is Stevechumos build thread on his single turbo 1UZ ?
I have an old thread on the CL forum, but the most recent thread is here: http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10637.
Old 01-01-09, 07:44 AM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In response to the 2 questions I asked, thank you, and thank you.
Old 01-01-09, 11:16 AM
wooziewest
Driver

1GZ-FE-TT FTW

Old 01-01-09, 01:23 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Gotta Agree with Woozie here. Keep it in the family per se, LOL. You want a monster engine, take the 1GZ .
Old 01-01-09, 03:14 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

That is 1 hot Toy V12 engine. I think it's put in the this gold Supra by someone in Japan. I'm not sure if the SC engine bay has enough room for it. That V12 is way hotter than the LS1 in my opinion.
Old 01-01-09, 10:48 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed, the LSx is a great platform for high NA HP and TQ. But, mod it with cams and a stroker and watch the gas mileage go out the window...Of course, the 1UZ will also get poor gas mileage if stroked. Neither makes for an ideal daily driver, IMO.

Again, swapping one into the SC will be difficult, expensive, and I do not think better in power band and tq curve than a properly tuned and blown 1UZ.

Thing is, there aren't many blown and properly tuned 1UZ's anywhere in the world...Especially in an SC or a Supra. So, hard to gauge until we get our projects done, dyno them and get some real experience.
Old 01-02-09, 01:05 AM
ahhyes300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by That-Guy
but honestly to all those who doubt the benefits of an lsx, re educate yourself.
So true More people need to be humbled by this motor...but not installed in an SC.
Old 01-02-09, 05:11 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC400TT
Agreed, the LSx is a great platform for high NA HP and TQ. But, mod it with cams and a stroker and watch the gas mileage go out the window...Of course, the 1UZ will also get poor gas mileage if stroked. Neither makes for an ideal daily driver, IMO.

Again, swapping one into the SC will be difficult, expensive, and I do not think better in power band and tq curve than a properly tuned and blown 1UZ.

Thing is, there aren't many blown and properly tuned 1UZ's anywhere in the world...Especially in an SC or a Supra. So, hard to gauge until we get our projects done, dyno them and get some real experience.
That's true, Ryan. Wanting it is 1 thing, but getting it running is another thing. Sticking with what we already have on hands. The 1UZ is my first choice.
Old 01-02-09, 05:23 PM
92blacktt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

boost a UZ
Old 01-02-09, 07:10 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 92blacktt
boost a UZ
An UZ sounds like an UZi. LOL. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzi
Old 01-02-09, 07:13 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by stevechumo
That is 1 hot Toy V12 engine. I think it's put in the this gold Supra by someone in Japan. I'm not sure if the SC engine bay has enough room for it. That V12 is way hotter than the LS1 in my opinion.
yep the Top Secret V12 supra beast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq3nYCcsEnI

Quick Reply: ls1 engine swap