Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

The nightmare: Aristo Wiring Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-10 | 05:17 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TeamLSi
I am trying to figure out the body harness, and feel like i hit a brick wall. Does anyone know if the 96 2jzgte depending on country body harness is it way diff from others. The one I have has two on the ecu as described earlier by another member but instead of one gray I have two extra big gray connectors.
Anyone have any info on the above mentioned later harnesses? I have an Aristo set on the way from a 97(non-vvti jzs147), and now I wonder what the differences will be in the harness...
Old 07-08-10 | 10:20 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

I just wanted to post an idea here that I posted in the other aristo nightmare wiring thread that not many people listened to, except for a few people that now have running swaps they did themselves.

you have a car that came with a 2jz-ge and all the right wiring for the body and everything. you want to run a 2jzgte now. there are only a handfull of different connectors on the engine itself, and some of them arent even different, some are just in the wrong spot. All you have to do is swap out the different connectors with the JDM harness onto your own harness, and some of them may require extending (really not that many do). next strip the coil on plug wires off the jdm harness, extend the ones going to the ecu and plug it right in (removing the 2 old wires for the ge ignition). next install the map and iat sensor as per the already known aem instructions and thats done. depinning a few connectors and running a few extra wires is much easier than what everyones trying to do these days. they are basically the same engine, and things are even easier if you are going single turbo. peace.
Old 07-08-10 | 10:43 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

I am considering that option as well. Its a good suggestion. Are the ECU plugs the same shape? Is it as simple as some re-pinning on the GE ECU connector and then adding wires, or is it removing the GE connector, replacing with GTE, re-pinning everything, etc.....
Old 07-08-10 | 11:03 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Yes GE harness is PNP to the GTE ECU, It's not too hard but make sure you know what you are doing.
GL
Old 07-08-10 | 03:30 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by stockhatch
I am considering that option as well. Its a good suggestion. Are the ECU plugs the same shape? Is it as simple as some re-pinning on the GE ECU connector and then adding wires, or is it removing the GE connector, replacing with GTE, re-pinning everything, etc.....
plugs right in which is really convenient and since the car has more wires than the engine has different plugs, it makes sense to rewire a few engine plugs and not everything else.
im not saying its super easy, its takes some work but i think its easier than what i see alot of people trying to do, and the end result still resembles a stock looking harness.

If you are keeping the twins on the gte you may need to run extra wires, basically there are only a handfull that the gte uses over the ge like for operation of the stock twins etc. so you just remove them and extend those wires and add them to the harness. you only need basically the chart you had on the 1st page of the differences or the 2 actual ecu pinouts.
Old 07-08-10 | 06:04 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

If I plan on going TTC right away then there are even less wires to add using your method, correct?
Old 07-08-10 | 07:35 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

I cant wait to get the Aristo harness in front of me so I can see some of these connectors and placement.

Looking at the xls sheet, it seems pretty easy. Its hard for me to look at the sheet and tell EXACTLY what needs to happen since it doesn't reference connector placement or type, but it really doesn't seem that hard.

Thanks to you all for doing the real hard work of digging up pinouts and labeling everything (in English)
Old 07-08-10 | 08:53 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by stockhatch
If I plan on going TTC right away then there are even less wires to add using your method, correct?
i would assume so since you are bypassing the controls.
If you are running the stock ecu i dunno if it will throw codes for that stuff missing so you may want to run the wires.
ive never had the stock ecu or twins so i couldn't tell ya. standalone ftw
Old 07-09-10 | 04:00 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Yeah a standalone is in the long range plan so I don't really care if it throws a light. As long as it doesn't limp I am OK.
Old 08-23-10 | 07:13 PM
perkins92
Driver School Candidate

alright look...ive been messing with this for about a month and im here to tell you that the ge harness is NOT interchangeable with the gte ecu. The plugs are the same but the wires are in completely different place. not to mention the ge runs wires for distributor, etc.
Old 08-24-10 | 04:28 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

i was lazy with mine but if someone sends me both harnesses i can figure all this crap out and post it up.. or just pay the 450... lol
Old 08-24-10 | 05:09 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by perkins92
alright look...ive been messing with this for about a month and im here to tell you that the ge harness is NOT interchangeable with the gte ecu. The plugs are the same but the wires are in completely different place. not to mention the ge runs wires for distributor, etc.
Lol are you serious i am down to my third harness , i will be doing my 4th one next week on a MK4 Supra .

And who said you didn't have to move some pins around, you have some wires around to make it work 100%.

Just use the distributor wires to run you cams and crank sensors that's easy just make sure you use shielded harness.
Use the Air flow meter wires for the AIT and map sensor.
The ignitor wires just remove the whole thing at the ECU plug and insert it in the GE harness the same way you removed it one or 2 wires will go to the diagnostic box. that's all i can think off now it's too early.
It's really easy if you know what you are doing, but it's time consumming.
Old 08-24-10 | 07:58 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion
CL Folding 100000

Originally Posted by perkins92
lol, you need to do some more reading, we all know the ge has a distributor.
and we have all said many times you need to move a few pins around and wire up the ignition correctly.

Originally Posted by quickGS300
Lol are you serious i am down to my third harness , i will be doing my 4th one next week on a MK4 Supra .

And who said you didn't have to move some pins around, you have some wires around to make it work 100%.

Just use the distributor wires to run you cams and crank sensors that's easy just make sure you use shielded harness.
Use the Air flow meter wires for the AIT and map sensor.
The ignitor wires just remove the whole thing at the ECU plug and insert it in the GE harness the same way you removed it one or 2 wires will go to the diagnostic box. that's all i can think off now it's too early.
It's really easy if you know what you are doing, but it's time consumming.
Yup, what he said.
Old 11-02-10 | 05:28 AM
99SC42
Lexus Test Driver

Mine is done and it's been running for a couple days now, i ran into a start up issue the car would't start , no fuel no spark but i had code 14" which is the IGF and i install a new wire bam problem solve.

Bill how is the wiring coming along? did you ever get the issue resolve?
Old 08-24-11 | 06:15 AM
Thefinn
Driver School Candidate

Hello Dudes!

I have a big problem i have now Aem stand alone system on My Toyota Soarer and a Aristo engine with aristo gearbox. But now i have a problems with the gears and don't know what's wrong. Do you think i shall take out all the harness and make a new one? Or is it someone here that can make a harness that fitt toghether for some cash?

It's my 3 year with the same problem and had some one to look at it and was so dam expensive. And i need the Automatic for my handikapp

Last edited by Thefinn; 08-24-11 at 06:19 AM.

Quick Reply: The nightmare: Aristo Wiring Conversion