Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How much am I looking to spend on a turbo for an SC300?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-09, 11:07 PM
FormosaSC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it a good idea to not change your head gasket?
Old 01-15-09, 11:36 PM
booja
Lead Lap

i spent about 6500 total

that was for a 2jzgte swap with all maintenance stuff done like gaskets and seals water pump and belts.

supra tt pump, xspower manifold, and a 70mm single and all associated stuff like bov and wg, piping and intercooler, boost gauge and aem wideband, greddy timer, apexi avcd boost controller

also got the dp and midpipe fabbed and modified...

all fluids and a new clutch

oh and all labor and wiring
Old 01-16-09, 08:50 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by booja
i spent about 6500 total

that was for a 2jzgte swap with all maintenance stuff done like gaskets and seals water pump and belts.

supra tt pump, xspower manifold, and a 70mm single and all associated stuff like bov and wg, piping and intercooler, boost gauge and aem wideband, greddy timer, apexi avcd boost controller

also got the dp and midpipe fabbed and modified...

all fluids and a new clutch

oh and all labor and wiring
Booja, that sounds like a good deal. Do you mind me asking who did that work for you? Also, did that include brake + suspension upgrades and a catback exhaust system? Also, are you using a tuned stand alone engine management system or piggy back a/f computer? I can see these things easily raising your spending by a few thousand dollars.

Last edited by dejacky; 01-17-09 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-16-09, 08:56 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Do it once and do it right, a lot of people went NA-T on these boards so you have info to follow.
Old 01-16-09, 10:17 PM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SickSC
is it a good idea to not change your head gasket?
Dejacky says stock headgasket is ok as long as you stay low boost.

Last edited by RyanV; 01-16-09 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-17-09, 12:33 AM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dejacky
From a bang/buck perspective, I agree with you starting with an oem turbo'd car is a much better value in the long run. Some of us are just crazed at turbo'ing our NA cars and learning everything we can in the process....even if that means crying from the expenses.
actually I was referring the the lexus classifieds on here,
I've seen a number of well built 2jz-gte sc300's, 1jz's and even a supercharged SC400 that was going for way cheap (cheap in terms of turboing a Lexus)
Old 01-17-09, 01:12 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by dejacky
Ditto.
It's important to stick to your 350hp goal as a limit. Once you've decided on that power, stick to it, otherwise changes you make during the process will end up costing you more. As a 350hp limit, here are some benefits of not going beyond this power level:

1. You can retain your stock 5-speed w58 transmission (if you're manual trans) and this drastically reduces costs since you'd only need a good clutch.

2. You don't have to remove the engine head = MUCH time and money in labor cost is saved. Your static engine compression will be higher and you'll have better engine response as well. Trust me, the stock engine compression na-t cars are fun when setup to their maximum potential. Keep in mind, an additional 150-175 hp/tq on the NA final drive ratio is much quicker than stock and is good enough to beat most oem cars considered fast on the street

3. You can enjoy the fruits of your labor sooner because less work is involved and the less things you change minimize potential for problems that need debugging .

Cost considerations

XS Power turbo kit = ~$1,800
SupraTT/Walbro fuel pump = ~$90
550cc injectors = ~$285
AEM EMS 30-1101 = $1,550
3-bar map sensor = ~$70
AEM AIT sensor = ~$56
Justin Nenni Tune = $600 (www.tuningconcepts.com)
Dyno Time 3 hour = ~$120
Clutch Kit = ~$500
RedLine MT90 Transmission Fluid = ~$40
used torsen LSD unit = ~$325
LSD installation into stock pumpkin = ~$220 including fluid

The limited slip differential, in my opinion, should be a requirement when turboing a car. I've experienced open diff and lsd on my sc300 and it is just stupid not to install a lsd because it provides much better control to the car, especially when applying the power to the ground. The downside for w58 transmission owners is it puts more stress on the transmission, so don't launch your car with that setup.

After you've done the above, your cold side intercooler piping still sits directly on top of the turbo and that absorbed heat raises the temperature of the air that was just cooled from the intercooler. So, you ceramic coat the exhaust turbine housing ($75) of the turbo AND put a good turbo blanket (~$120) on the turbo to help combat that heat absorption.

The intercooled air continues through your throttle-body and y-plenum, that sit on top of the motor and are also heat soaked from the motor's heat, thus further helping reverse the process of intercooling the intake air. It's a moot effort trying to change spark plug gap on the dyno to determine optimum gap with the stock intake manifold...unless you like mangling and burning your hands. or you can get a TT style intake manifold and make your life easier = ~$750 for a decent one after all expenses

Two other necessary upgrades when turboing your car, in my opinion, is upgrading the suspension AND at least the front brakes. Your car should be setup to handle the extra power and stop consistently from higher speeds as a safety measure.

Aside: AEM EMS is not the only standalone ems option, it's just one of the proven stand alone engine management systems familiar to most tuners. I didn't include piggy-backs tuning computers because I think they're a waste for our na-t cars. On stock 2JZ-GE engine compression compression they'll handicap you in terms of optimizing consistent driveability and maximizing power when compared to a properly tuned stand alone engine management system.

As far as total costs to "do the job right," I hope my post has made you more aware of steps involved in the process.

Man, find me an lsd for that price and i'll give you 75 bucks <not joking either>
Old 01-17-09, 01:13 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by craaaazzy
u can find used torsen lsd's for sale for around that price. keep in mind, this is only the internals which require you to then swap into your existing diff.

Pm me a link please...
Old 01-18-09, 12:55 AM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

fyi:
there's a fully built one on fleabay now, it's no reserve starting at $8k
I don't know the seller nor am I making anything on the sale,
just posting his/her specs, cause it relates to this topic

it's a pretty good deal for these parts on it:
HALTECH E8
T67 GARRET ANTI SURGE 1 MONTH OLD WARRANTY
3 INCH SUPRA NUR EXHAUST
CUSTOM DOWN PIPE
CUSTOM TURBO MANIFOLD
ARP HEADS STUDS
NEW COMPLETE HEAD JOB
NEW 2MM HEAD GASKET
ACT CLUTCH
INTERCOOLER
NEW UPGRADED RADIATOR
UPGRADED FANS
3 INCH INTERCOOLER PIPING IN AND 2/12 OUT
TURBONETICS BLOW OFF
RACE GATE WASTEGATE
GREDDY BOOST CONTROLLER
BOOST CAGE
OIL GAGE
TRD SHIFT ****
SUPRA TWIN TURBO 1997 WHEELS
TWO REAR BRAND NEW DRAG MICKEY THOMPSON 275-40-17
TOKIKO SHOCKS
EIBACH SPRINGS
REAR SPOILER IN TRUNK
HD WHITE LIGHTS
2000 SC300 STEERING WHEEL
2000 SC300 FRONT BUMPER
2000 SC300 REAR LIGHTS
PASSENGER SEAT WAS REDONE
INTERIOR IS VERY CLEAN
DOORS PANELS CLEAN
$1800.00 PAINT JOB
NEW WIPERS
ALWAYS MOBILE ONE
RED LINE IN TRANNY
AC
THE BOTTOM MOTOR WAS REFRESH ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO.
THE CAR PRODUCED WITH THE OLD TURBO T60 419HP TO THE WHEEL @16PSI PUMP GAS THIS CAR SHOULD BE NOW AROUND 500HP WILL BRING IT TO THE DYNO IF NECESSARY TO PROVE IT.........
OTHERS UPGRADE....

only thing I see missing is a 6speed and a rear LSD

bad thing is that it's green

if I didn't have my na-t I would consider this
tough I'd have to repaint it, lol

Last edited by dumdumgreg; 01-18-09 at 12:57 AM. Reason: typos
Old 01-19-09, 06:02 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

alright, i just looked at my spreadsheet and for turbo kit and necessary parts as well as aem, i'm at $6775. this should be able to take u up to 18lbs on a t61 safely on the engine side. add a meth kit for $400 and low/mid 20's for boost.

of course, this doesn't mean the rest of ur car can take this amount of power though...
Old 03-20-09, 06:35 AM
theory5150
Lexus Test Driver

How would it differ since i have an automatic? Would that run me a lot more money??