Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

How much am I looking to spend on a turbo for an SC300?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 01:09 AM
ryz0n
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much am I looking to spend on a turbo for an SC300?

I want to try to gauge how much money I'm going to be spending if I wanted to turbocharge an SC300 with a single turbo. I'm looking for modest gains, around 300-350hp. Including exhaust and all the accessories like gauges, timers, etc. how much am I looking to spend for a complete install and do you guys recommend any kits in particular? Thank you!
Old 01-02-09, 02:06 AM
TroySC300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.clubna-t.com
Old 01-02-09, 04:32 AM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by TroySC300
Ditto.
It's important to stick to your 350hp goal as a limit. Once you've decided on that power, stick to it, otherwise changes you make during the process will end up costing you more. As a 350hp limit, here are some benefits of not going beyond this power level:

1. You can retain your stock 5-speed w58 transmission (if you're manual trans) and this drastically reduces costs since you'd only need a good clutch.

2. You don't have to remove the engine head = MUCH time and money in labor cost is saved. Your static engine compression will be higher and you'll have better engine response as well. Trust me, the stock engine compression na-t cars are fun when setup to their maximum potential. Keep in mind, an additional 150-175 hp/tq on the NA final drive ratio is much quicker than stock and is good enough to beat most oem cars considered fast on the street

3. You can enjoy the fruits of your labor sooner because less work is involved and the less things you change minimize potential for problems that need debugging .

Cost considerations

XS Power turbo kit = ~$1,800
SupraTT/Walbro fuel pump = ~$90
550cc injectors = ~$285
AEM EMS 30-1101 = $1,550
3-bar map sensor = ~$70
AEM AIT sensor = ~$56
Justin Nenni Tune = $600 (www.tuningconcepts.com)
Dyno Time 3 hour = ~$120
Clutch Kit = ~$500
RedLine MT90 Transmission Fluid = ~$40
used torsen LSD unit = ~$325
LSD installation into stock pumpkin = ~$220 including fluid

The limited slip differential, in my opinion, should be a requirement when turboing a car. I've experienced open diff and lsd on my sc300 and it is just stupid not to install a lsd because it provides much better control to the car, especially when applying the power to the ground. The downside for w58 transmission owners is it puts more stress on the transmission, so don't launch your car with that setup.

After you've done the above, your cold side intercooler piping still sits directly on top of the turbo and that absorbed heat raises the temperature of the air that was just cooled from the intercooler. So, you ceramic coat the exhaust turbine housing ($75) of the turbo AND put a good turbo blanket (~$120) on the turbo to help combat that heat absorption.

The intercooled air continues through your throttle-body and y-plenum, that sit on top of the motor and are also heat soaked from the motor's heat, thus further helping reverse the process of intercooling the intake air. It's a moot effort trying to change spark plug gap on the dyno to determine optimum gap with the stock intake manifold...unless you like mangling and burning your hands. or you can get a TT style intake manifold and make your life easier = ~$750 for a decent one after all expenses

Two other necessary upgrades when turboing your car, in my opinion, is upgrading the suspension AND at least the front brakes. Your car should be setup to handle the extra power and stop consistently from higher speeds as a safety measure.

Aside: AEM EMS is not the only standalone ems option, it's just one of the proven stand alone engine management systems familiar to most tuners. I didn't include piggy-backs tuning computers because I think they're a waste for our na-t cars. On stock 2JZ-GE engine compression compression they'll handicap you in terms of optimizing consistent driveability and maximizing power when compared to a properly tuned stand alone engine management system.

As far as total costs to "do the job right," I hope my post has made you more aware of steps involved in the process.
Old 01-02-09, 10:46 AM
ryz0n
Driver School Candidate

dejacky thank you so much for all of that info!
Old 01-02-09, 11:27 AM
That-Guy
Pole Position

that was a seriously nice little writeup there dejacky, i'd like to know more about getting myself a torsen lsd for 325 though. Oh and if you have a little extra to spend, the boostlogic stage 1 kit seems like it would be perfect for you and anything from boostlogic is generally fair quality.
Old 01-02-09, 11:55 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

u can find used torsen lsd's for sale for around that price. keep in mind, this is only the internals which require you to then swap into your existing diff.
Old 01-02-09, 12:20 PM
That-Guy
Pole Position

but the interanls from an tt auto lsd will swap directly into our housings? i thought you had to get a whole new pumkin. I may be in the market for an lsd then,
Old 01-02-09, 02:20 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

yes, a tt auto or na manual lsd is direct swap, just not the tt manual.

sorry to jack thread ryz0n. i've got the boostlogic kit and love it. like dejacky mentioned though, pick a goal and TRY to stick with it. but once you feel boost, you'll want more, guaranteed. you can do it slowly but it will cost more in the end once you start to upgrade things. trust me.
Old 01-14-09, 11:55 PM
Jrtoxic
Rookie

Wonderful Information! lol
Old 01-15-09, 08:11 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dejacky thanks for the info man as i was reading your post i could almost visualize the air flow you were talkin about LoL ... would you recommend a side intake like so.....

http://www.firststatemotorsports.com/products.html#
Old 01-15-09, 07:50 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by YeA 2jZ
Dejacky thanks for the info man as i was reading your post i could almost visualize the air flow you were talkin about LoL ... would you recommend a side intake like so.....

http://www.firststatemotorsports.com/products.html#
Yes, by "tt style" I was referring to what you call 'side' intake. TT was abbreviation for "twin turbo." (i.e. 2jz-gte intake manifold.)

By the way, my price estimates do not include labor costs, so factor in a few thousands dollars for that too. Then, you still have to buy all the other little things like electronics, gauges, and any small items that make everything work well together. Going NA-T is not as expensive as buying a high-end sports car like a Ferrari, but doing NA-T properly is not cheap no matter what anyone tries to tells you. I'd say set aside a minimum of $10,000 if you want your entire car "done right." Don't forget about the nifty maintenance costs of prepping your SC300 before going turbo as well.

Last edited by dejacky; 01-15-09 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-15-09, 08:13 PM
dumdumgreg
Lexus Test Driver

It would be cheaper to buy a car thats been turbo'd already.
I've seen some good buys in the classifieds
the price of some alone don't even cover the parts

if I had to do it again, I'd prolly buy a well built one instead of modding my own
Old 01-15-09, 08:59 PM
dunahoo
Pole Position

check the various supra forums as well... they always have tons of stuff to sell that would be beneficial for your setup... they usually get rid of tons stock GTE stuff
Old 01-15-09, 09:02 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dumdumgreg

if I had to do it again, I'd prolly buy a well built one instead of modding my own
Open mouth.......Insert foot.....
Old 01-15-09, 10:05 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dumdumgreg
It would be cheaper to buy a car thats been turbo'd already.
I've seen some good buys in the classifieds
the price of some alone don't even cover the parts

From a bang/buck perspective, I agree with you starting with an oem turbo'd car is a much better value in the long run. Some of us are just crazed at turbo'ing our NA cars and learning everything we can in the process....even if that means crying from the expenses.

Last edited by dejacky; 01-15-09 at 10:18 PM.

Quick Reply: How much am I looking to spend on a turbo for an SC300?