Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Differential flanges for new driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-09, 03:11 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I want to do. I was just wondering if I could get that piece from the MKIII. But If driftmotion has it I guess I will be ordering it from them.
Old 01-07-09, 04:37 PM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 2jzlex
Mine:

Have Fun.
Very nice piece Jon. TLDriver, the adapter sold by Driftmotion hooks up directly to the flange, the piece in the picture actually replaces the flange. No structural difference between the 2, the adapter is a tad easier to instal though...
Old 01-07-09, 05:29 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I rather replace the flange I know it might be a little longer to do but... less possibility of things going wrong.
2jzlex I might just be over looking it or over thinking it but did you get that piece from an MKIII?

Last edited by TLDriver; 01-07-09 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-07-09, 10:13 PM
2jzlex
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Max.

TL it is a custom made piece. I had my machinest take the back half of a stock SC companion flange, cut it, and weld it to a 1/2" thick piece of aluminum. Then, have the 4 bolts tapped for a common Ford U-Joint. This allows you to have a custom d/s made my anyone, it eliminates the carrier bearing, lighter, and also gets rid of the rubber pieces.

Something that needs to be said, if you do something like this, take a very close look at the flange, there is a circular lip in the exact center between the 4 bolts that surrounds the opening for the nut. This lip centers the U-Joint flange perfectly on the piece you have machined. Also, you have to insure that when it's machined, it's true (perfectly flat and smooth). One more note, alot of custom d/s places don't take alot of care when they have the one pieces made to balance them like they should. I need to have mine rebalanced because there is a vibration when I get in the higher MPH range. Apparently this is pretty common.