Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

wifes car acting very strange wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-09, 08:25 PM
flash92sc
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wifes car acting very strange wont start

I need help diagnosing this problem my wifes 92 sc400 has been having a starting problem . The car cranks over very fast but will not start after sitting ,i traced the problem down to the fuse box /relay box under the hood,. ffirst let me explain i recently had a new timing belt put on by a friend and when i got the car back the check engine and the trac lights were on the dash . ,but the car ran fine and this did not bother me after a few weeks one morning my wife went to go to work and when she started the car it ran like crap so i figured i had a bad wire or something when i traced it to the drivers side distributor pack /coil assembly . I finally found out it was the coil and i replaced ran fine again . Yesterday she went to run an errand and the car wouldnt start just cranked so i started checking fuses etc. the check engine light was not on the gauges when the key was on and found that one of the relays under the hood in the black box if i took out the relay while the key was on and put it back in then the check engine light will come on and the car will start right up , turn it off and no check engine light on gauges then no start , really weird i thought the relay was bad so i went and bought one at the parts house and put it in ,no change i couldnt even get it to start by taking relay off and on but when i put old one back in and had son watch for check engine light come on car start right up sorry to be so long explaining but really weird problem if anyone has experienced similar problem please let me know thanks tom