Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

No power to my passenger side coil on SC400

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-09, 09:47 AM
andrewdees
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power to my passenger side coil on SC400

First off the car is a 1992 SC400 w/ 103K miles.

I woke up today, washed my car and started it up. I let it idle in the driveway for 5 minutes to warm up. I hopped in, put it in R and started to back out of the driveway. Halfway out of my driveway it started to run sluggish real bad and didnt have enough power to make it out of the driveway. It's running on 4 cylinders.

Here my diagnosis....

I found the passenger side coil is no putting out any spark. I checked resistance between the + & - terminals on the coil and they are @ .7 Ohm and the resistance between the + & the main coil terminal is 11K Ohm. I believe those are within spec. I checked for 12V on the plug that goes to the coil and its @ 0V. So i'm not getting any power to the coil.

Could I have a bad ECU? I'm not too familiar with electrical diagnosis. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Drew
Old 01-25-09, 11:15 AM
IS_250
Pole Position

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

you could have a bad ignitor. they are bolted to the shock tower on the driver's side. try swapping the harnesses around to see if you get any spark then. otherwise, its probably just a bad coil. coils are < $50 at kragen or autozone.
Old 01-26-09, 03:11 PM
andrewdees
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I swapped the plugs on the ignitors and it made no difference. Its still running on 4 cylinders.

However, I checked power to the top coil again and it is getting 13V. Is it possible for the coil to be bad even though all the Ohm values are within spec?? I checked those yesterday and they semed to be good. My car is possessed