Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Planned: Suprastick and Amsoil

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-09, 09:45 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok guys, some updates and a vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYcrRMxiw9Y

So after spending waaayyy to much time installing the thing, I just spent the last hour ripping it back out. Yes, you read correctly, ripped it out.

I finally managed to speak with Garrett @ Latent Solutions and I'm going to send my SS (version 3.1) to him so he can upgrade it to the newest version (4.6) for me. Going to cost me $50 plus shipping which, IMO will be well worth it. The 3.1 version is prehistoric compared to the 4.6. He said that the SS I have is one of the first ones he made 5 or more years ago.

So for now, I'm not going to go into any install detail. I'll wait untill I have the new unit. I think it will be a million times easier and much more user freindly.

On a side note, flushed the trans with Amsoil today.

Stay tuned!

KC

Last edited by KC95SC400; 02-12-09 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-04-09, 05:57 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice. Would it be advantageous to use a Trip tronic steering wheel like my IS300 one?
Old 02-04-09, 08:52 AM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the new unit, it has pretty nice features like shift light and NOS signal
Old 02-04-09, 10:45 AM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah that's good, what's the difference between the old and new? Besides the shift light and the NOS indicator?
Old 02-04-09, 08:33 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Very nice. Would it be advantageous to use a Trip tronic steering wheel like my IS300 one?
If you can get it to work and you like the setup, than yes. Is the wiring connected through the spiral cable? You would need to be able to get two seperate 12 volt signals (1 for upshift and 1 for down) to the Suprastick for it to work.

I don't personally like the controls on the wheel if they turn with the wheel. IMO, it's a pain in the butt to use. Although I have to say that having the two upshift and two downshift buttons on the IS wheel would have to be much easier to use than the cruise stalk.

Originally Posted by 2.5tsoarer
I have the new unit, it has pretty nice features like shift light and NOS signal
Originally Posted by ihiryu
Yeah that's good, what's the difference between the old and new? Besides the shift light and the NOS indicator?
There are a few differences on top of what 2.5tsoarer mentioned. One of the biggest things is tunability. The unit I have (had) cannot be connected to a computer and only has a couple of options for programming vs the 4.6 version allows full control over the shift table(s). The newer version also has the ability to run 2 different shift tables that can be selected "on the fly" with a switch. The newer version is more of a universal unit vs the one I had being for an MKIII Supra so RPM, vehicle speed, tps reading, ect can be set up correctly for the car.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dropped it off to UPS today. Hopefully I'll have it back by next week Friday so I can install it and go drag racing over the weekend. I paid a bit extra for shipping and hopefully Garrett can get it done and send it back quick enough for me to do so. It's not quite the deal it started out at but I'm still doing pretty good. New unit is 365 shipped. I paid 200 shipped. Now, 50 to upgrade and 50 for shipping to / from Garrett so about 300 total. Still not too bad.

I will likely start a new thread for the install info. I will do my best to take some pics. I will also include all pinout info which I'm pretty sure applies to all SC400's up to 96.

KC
Old 02-04-09, 10:08 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm really curious to see how this turns out. I know 2.5tsoarer has it in his ride and I have seen it personally myself. I would like to see how difficult this installation is for maybe some interest in it later on.
Old 02-04-09, 10:39 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Wow, I'm interested in doing this for my 400. Subscribed!
Old 02-10-09, 08:40 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Quick update.

My old SS has been delivered to Garrett, yesterday. I included a return shipping label for 2 day air to get it back to me. Hopefully he can get it back to UPS by tomorrow night so that I can have it for a Friday night install. Shortly after the install, I plan on doing a write-up.

And, so far the Amsoil fluid seems to be doing ok in the transmission. It actually is bouncing off the limiter a little bit less, which is good.

KC
Old 02-11-09, 09:33 PM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get a chance to smell the lube guard before you put it in? Stinks to high heaven.

Haven't been posting up much, as I've been working my tail off at the shop these days powder coating ect.
Old 02-12-09, 07:31 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Very Nice KC! This is once again ground breaking stuff! Keep it up.

SpinAll4, i am getting close to sending you parts to coat!
Old 02-12-09, 07:42 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SpinAll4
Did you get a chance to smell the lube guard before you put it in? Stinks to high heaven.

Haven't been posting up much, as I've been working my tail off at the shop these days powder coating ect.
Ya, both the lube gaurd and the Amsoil stink. I actually debated not using the lube gaurd since it seems to imply that it allows a bit more slip than dex fluid. The trans does seem to be liking the combo though.

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
Very Nice KC! This is once again ground breaking stuff! Keep it up.
Thanks Scott, and I will! Looking like I'll be installing tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't been able to get a hold of Garrett but I have the return tracking number (since I pre-paid for the return shipping) and UPS shows a box coming my way from California. Should get here tomorrow sometime. I am very excited about it!

I will be going over the pinouts / install info and posting details within the next couple of days. Stay tuned!

KC
Old 02-12-09, 07:43 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sweet man i think that is well worth your $$$... thanks for keeping us posted on this i think i will be going this route with my build
Old 02-15-09, 08:25 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Update:

Got the new (updated) Suprastick on Friday. I have it installed and pretty much working. Of course there are always a few kinks to overcome with this type of thing. Mostly right now I'm having tune issues with auto mode but I haven't driven it much yet. I'm confident I'll work it all out by the end of the night.

I have also been working on the install details, will post when I have time to finish it up.

KC
Old 02-19-09, 11:32 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Link to write up guys. Not really good at doing them but I don't think it's bad.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...nto-sc400.html

KC