Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

HOW TO: SC300 High Pressure Power Steering Hose

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-18, 02:11 AM
JJ823
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if a 97 SC300 power steering pressure hose would fit on a 92 SC300? I found the 97 hose for $35 no leaks but I can't find out if it will fit. A brand new hose for 92 is outrageous, 300-500 online and at Autozone. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by JJ823; 02-25-18 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-25-18, 04:01 PM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey guys, every time i have to bust a maneuver in downtown my steering starts skipping like crazy now. I have just replaced the pump with a brand new OEM one. For the hoses i kind of wanted to try the supra ones but would they fit my 99? Also i plan on finding a shop here in miami to do the hosework. Would you guys suggest ordering the washers too?
Old 02-26-18, 01:35 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by JJ823
Does anyone know if a 97 SC300 power steering pressure hose would fit on a 92 SC300? I found the 97 hose for $35 no leaks but I can't find out if it will fit. A brand new hose for 92 is outrageous, 300-500 online and at Autozone. Any help is appreciated.
It should fit, but I'm not sure if the older model has the same sensors as the 97 model has. You could easily cap them off with the right size bolt and a crush washer if your car doesn't have it.

Originally Posted by BlackIRON
Hey guys, every time i have to bust a maneuver in downtown my steering starts skipping like crazy now. I have just replaced the pump with a brand new OEM one. For the hoses i kind of wanted to try the supra ones but would they fit my 99? Also i plan on finding a shop here in miami to do the hosework. Would you guys suggest ordering the washers too?
1. Sounds like you still have air in the steering rack if you recently replaced the pump and its skipping.
2. The supra line will work on a SC300, but it deletes the lower sensor and requires additional washers.
3. I ordered all new washers as a precaution when I changed my steering system. The old ones probably would have worked, but the cost was negligible compared to the entire project that I bought everything new. I would have been more pissed off at myself if I ended up having to pull everything off again because I cheaped out on a washer.
The following users liked this post:
JJ823 (02-27-18)
Old 02-27-18, 02:57 AM
JJ823
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Blkexcoupe;10125447]It should fit, but I'm not sure if the older model has the same sensors as the 97 model has. You could easily cap them off with the right size bolt and a crush washer if your car doesn't have it.

How do I tell if the sensors are not the same after install or will it not fit if not the same? Heres a pic of the 92 vs 97. The 92 seems to have a longer middle at the U shaped curve will that make a difference?
Attached Thumbnails HOW TO: SC300 High Pressure Power Steering Hose-92-sc300-power-steering-pressure-hose-a.png   HOW TO: SC300 High Pressure Power Steering Hose-97-sc300-power-steering-pressure-hose.jpg  
Old 02-27-18, 01:26 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JJ823
It should fit, but I'm not sure if the older model has the same sensors as the 97 model has. You could easily cap them off with the right size bolt and a crush washer if your car doesn't have it.

How do I tell if the sensors are not the same after install or will it not fit if not the same? Heres a pic of the 92 vs 97. The 92 seems to have a longer middle at the U shaped curve will that make a difference?
Remove your original sensor and install it on the new line. If it doesn't thread on, then it's not the same. It looks like your new line also has the sensors installed, but the electrical connection might not be the same.

I don't think the difference in the U shape will make a difference.

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 02-27-18 at 01:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JJ823 (03-06-18)
Old 02-27-18, 07:28 PM
BlackIRON
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe

1. Sounds like you still have air in the steering rack if you recently replaced the pump and its skipping.
2. The supra line will work on a SC300, but it deletes the lower sensor and requires additional washers.
3. I ordered all new washers as a precaution when I changed my steering system. The old ones probably would have worked, but the cost was negligible compared to the entire project that I bought everything new. I would have been more pissed off at myself if I ended up having to pull everything off again because I cheaped out on a washer.
I tilted the wheel from right to left a good ten times before putting the cap on while the car was Slightly on the lift. Maybe it wasnt high enough? but yea it skips when used super frequently like parallel parking etc. I did throw the new pump on and re used the same dirty OEM ones and poured literally half a bottle of T-4 down it and havent looked back. The hoses Im still looking for a shop here in the city that can do it. Ordered the washers, and i would roll with the supra line But id be scared of a CEL or some weird repercussion because of the missing sensors.
Old 02-28-18, 01:38 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BlackIRON
I tilted the wheel from right to left a good ten times before putting the cap on while the car was Slightly on the lift. Maybe it wasnt high enough? but yea it skips when used super frequently like parallel parking etc. I did throw the new pump on and re used the same dirty OEM ones and poured literally half a bottle of T-4 down it and havent looked back. The hoses Im still looking for a shop here in the city that can do it. Ordered the washers, and i would roll with the supra line But id be scared of a CEL or some weird repercussion because of the missing sensors.
The rack has to be bled under load for it to fully purge all the air out.