Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

LSD rear end identification, traction control?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-09, 10:29 PM
defrag010
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD rear end identification, traction control?

I traded this garrett TV91 turbo to a guy here for his 92 SC400 with 196K miles and a broken axle. The interior needs a little work, and the paint is shot on it, but solid otherwise.

Anyways, I pulled an axle from a junkyard SC300 5 speed and put it in my car today.

I was out test driving it, and decided to do a little burnout. Having read alot here on these forums about how it would have an open rear in it, I was expecting just to spin one tire. I'm out there stalling it up, and start this awesome burnout and the car gets sideways as hell and i have to let off so the rear of my car doesn't hit this building. I get out, and see two black marks!! I thought it was some kind of fluke or something, so I pulled up some more and did 3 more short mini-burnouts just enough to get some black marks on the ground. Every single burnout is spinning both tires. Going around corners, the car will get sideways as hell if you punch it.. but there is no "chatter" going around corners slow like a welded diff or spool would create. Every one of my cars up until now has had an open rearend, so I know how dramatic the effects of an open diff stand out, and this definitely isn't one.

Now, I carfaxed the car when I got it, and it was wrecked in the rear in 2003 with 161k miles and repaired. I tested it for bondo, and pretty much the whole rear of the car past the front doors is a bondo sculpture. When I was up under putting the new axle in, I noticed that the rear subframe/support had a bunch of white numbers and marks written on it like it came from a junkyard. The shocks and springs on the rear were blue in color and had a bunch of japanese/chinese writing on it. I noticed after seeing that, that the car sits lower than a stock SC.
What I'm thinking, is if it's a possibility that they needed a new subframe during the repairs in 2003 and sourced a new rear subframe from one of those JDM importers that import motors, front clips, and what not. If this happened, maybe there is some sort of freak jdm lsd rear in my car? Is there some code that I can find on the diff to identify it?

Also, there is a traction control button on my center console, but there are no lights on it and when I press it nothing happens and no lights in the cluster or console light up or anything. It's almost like it's dead. I would assume that TC would have to be off for me to be able to do big burnouts? The little throttle body cover in the engine bay has "traction control" on it, and my car's a SC400 so I know it has it.

Here is a picture of one of my burnouts that I just went out and took. You can see where it started to go sideways while I was stalling up until I let off and spun em out a little bit.

and here is a picture of the car

Last edited by defrag010; 01-31-09 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-01-09, 09:17 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

could be and may not be. to test it get the rear off the ground and try spinning the tires, if you spin the wheels and they both go the same way then you have some type of LSD/torsen, if they go opposite you have a open. its still possible for a open diff to leave two marks. mine did when i tried it.
Old 02-03-09, 04:19 PM
NineTreSc3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like the car could because of all that work done. look at ur diff cover on the back and see if it has a little sticker on the right that says lsd. it will be right beside the fill plug. if it is an lsd it would have said it at one time. if it had a sticker it might be worn off or covered with dirt but look for an outline of where it might have been. nice project btw!