Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Timing problem on 98 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-09, 05:54 PM
SATXSC400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing problem on 98 SC300

Ok guys I'm in the process of changing out the timing belt, cam seals, tensioner, tensioner pulley, waterpump, and a new VVti cam gear on a 98 SC300. Well everything was going good until it came time to change the VVti cam gear. The 10mm hex bolt was really torqued down, I would say over 300 ftlb. I had to use a large impact gun to bust that hex bolt loose. I had a buddy hold the cam with a wrench on top while I hit it with the gun. Well I finally got everything changed out and put on the new timing belt that I had marked exactly like the old belt prior to removing it. I made sure the VVTi cam gear was within the 30 degree range and stopped at the timing mark on top. Well with the timing belt on and the tensioner pin pulled out I rotated the crank to make sure it stayed on time. Well the belt jumped a tooth on both cam sprockets and the crank sprocket as well. I did a few full rotations and it seems like the belt is advancing a tooth with each full rotation. So I went ahead and put the bottom timing cover back on and realigned the timing belt following the FSM exactly and rotated the crank and its still advancing a tooth. I must say I'm confused, this isn't my first timing belt change. I just did a belt on a 2002 Lexus Is300 last week, everything went smooth as butter. The only thing different was I didn't have to replace the VVti cam pulley on the IS300. I verified that I have the correct timing belt and cam sprocket. I've done dozens of timing belt changes before, everything from 2js, 7ms, to Honda B and D series motors. I'm stumped for the night , gonna start fresh tomorrow. Any input from you seasoned Lexus guys would be great. Thanks..!!
Old 04-01-09, 03:07 PM
Jason T
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Works shop manuel - Repair Manual / ENGINE MECHANICAL / TIMING BELT / INSTALLATION

http://bahamutcars.free.fr/workshop/...nts/index.html

This is what you need to know to set VVTI Inlet pulley for 2JZ VVTI

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Once you put the VVTi pulley back on, advance it all the way to the right(clockwise) till it stops turning. At this position is what you use to line up the timing marks on the pulley with the notch on the back metal cover. So, dot on intake pulley match to exhaust side dot on the pulley, or line to line. Match it up to crankshaft accordingly.
Remove timing belt, and turn the VVTi intake Cam gear as far clockwise as you can (you may want to turb it back and forth to loosen anything stuck - if it is stuck) Finish by turning it all the way clockwise without disturbing the camshaft. when the VVTi cam gear hits the stop point... make note of the timing mark. if its off. keep the VVTi cm gear turned all the way clockwise and now you have to rotate the camshaft counter clockwise to get the line up notches on the cam gear to match the cam cover.
Some pictures can be found here

http://www.toymods.net//forums/showthread.php?t=42745
Old 04-02-09, 11:13 AM
SATXSC400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Thanks I appreciate the help. I actually figured it out that day, I went by the FSM and it started right up first crank. But now the car is having a ignition problem. When you first start the car it idles rough/shakes. I pulled the code and it says Manufacter control/Ignition system or misfire. We replaced the ignition coils and it actually ran/idled smoother for a few miles but went back to the lumpy/shacky idle. I'm thinking there is a possibly a break in the ignition/coil harness or a bad plug wire.

Last edited by SATXSC400; 04-02-09 at 11:20 AM.