Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Questions about my built tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-09, 07:10 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about my built tranny.

This is for my auto 93 Supra. I posted this at sf, and havent got any answers. Since SC's share the a340e's, this forum should apply.

Im installing my built trans, converter, cooler, and temp guage, this weekend. Its a unit that I bought from a member, here.

The transmission was rebuilt by a reputable mechanic, with new banner kit, filter, kolene steels, pump bushing, and the valve body was overhauled.

The converter is a Precision, with a 3800rpm stall. The cooler is a b&m bar and plate 7.25 x 11 x 1 1/2" with a 7.5" spal fan.

So, are there any tips to pulling, or reinstalling the tranny, that I should know about? Ive changed/pulled transmissions in several other cars, ...but maybe theres a good tip, or trick, for this one?

Also, Do I use the factory cooler in conjunction with the new one? Or bypass it? If I use the factory cooler, whats best to use to flush it? I was thinking a little hand pump, from harbor freight?

And finally, the most important question.... When this transmission was being built, the owner was asked if he wanted it to shift soft like stock, or shift firmer through the gears. He chose soft. I THINK I want firmer.

Should I shim the accumulators, before I install the tranny, while its easy? Should I do it, at all? Seems like this might make the clutches last longer, since they would slip less, right?
Old 03-07-09, 07:44 PM
DasBach
Lexus Test Driver

As for the last question about it shifting harder, I made the kick down cable very tight. I didn't know how much slack I needed after the super charger, so I made the kick down cable tight and it kicks into gears a lot firmer than before.

If I have my foot on the break and I put it into Drive... it kicks hard and throws my head in the seat a bit. I don't know if this is good for it, but I learned that one a few days ago.
Old 03-08-09, 11:30 AM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Im leaving the kickdown cable, like its supposed to be. Anyone else?
Old 03-08-09, 01:34 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Shifting harder will increase the oil pressure, which helps if you run any FI setup. It'll circulate the oil quicker and bring the cool oil from the oil cooler into the tranny quicker. A high stall speed torque converter will make your car shift jerky anyway. As long as you already bought the Precision TQ, you're looking for the performance driving and not for the luxury driving, why not set up your car for the performance? The tranny mechanic might not know how the high stall TQ works, and he might not want to be responsible for things that he doesn't know.

You should keep the stock cooler along with the extra cooler. That's what I did and it's good so far, although I got a heavy foot and boost the car all the time.
Old 03-08-09, 02:21 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by stevechumo
Shifting harder will increase the oil pressure, which helps if you run any FI setup. It'll circulate the oil quicker and bring the cool oil from the oil cooler into the tranny quicker. A high stall speed torque converter will make your car shift jerky anyway. As long as you already bought the Precision TQ, you're looking for the performance driving and not for the luxury driving, why not set up your car for the performance? The tranny mechanic might not know how the high stall TQ works, and he might not want to be responsible for things that he doesn't know.

You should keep the stock cooler along with the extra cooler. That's what I did and it's good so far, although I got a heavy foot and boost the car all the time.

My car IS set up for performance. My tranny mechanic knows how stall converters work. He used to build trannys for Toyomoto. As I said before, he asked the guy I bought it from, how he wanted it to shift (firm or soft). He chose soft, ...I want firm.

Seems to me, that that would make the trans last a little longer, since it wouldnt allow the clutches to slip, as much. I dont know if thats how it works, though.

Im going to use the factory cooler, and the B&M one, together.