Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Advice needed desperately!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-09, 03:31 PM
lexxxus400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed desperately!!!

I own a 1992 Lexus sc400 with an exempt odometer (possibly over 195,000 miles). As far as i'm concerned, the car has no leaks. It was parked for OVER 3 years before I started using it everyday. Honestly, the only thing i've done to the car is put tires on it. I drove the car for two weeks and besides it being extra sluggish on the first few gears, I didnt notice anything major. (FYI: im no mechanic) UNTIL YESTERDAY: I drove a couple of miles to pick up a friend and when he got in and i went to reverse, the car didnt respond. I mean it reved up but didnt move! I waited a few seconds, threw it into drive and it drove okay for like 2 minutes then did the same thing in drive. I pulled over, turned off my engine, waited a minute, then started the car a drove all the way home. Today i checked my tranny fluid, noticed it was just A LITTLE low, refilled and the problem seemed to go away for a couple of minutes but then it did it again.

Where do i begin? Im afraid to run it to the shop, cause id hate to get ripped off just because i dont know very much about cars. Can anyone help? Do I need a new transmission? I love my SC4. I cant just let it sit there, she needs to be on the road. Im so bummed out right now. Please, someone feel my pain!

Oh, and my car is an automatic...
Old 03-09-09, 05:43 PM
dallasbean
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put a some cardboard on the bottom of the car and then level the tranny and run it and see if you have leaks. Or you just may need a flush sence it has been setting for over 3 yrs."ta dah!!!!"