Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Spec 3 or Spec 3+ With my NA-T set up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-09, 08:46 PM
ZSC3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec 3 or Spec 3+ With my NA-T set up?

Ok guys its almost time to get my project going just knocking off a few more parts off the list before it goes under the knife. Right now i am debating on what clutch to go with. I have decided that i will be going with Spec Stage 3 clutch, but am not sure if i should go with the Spec Stage 3 or Stage 3+. For all you NA-T heads out there what do you think would be best with my set up.

Fully rebuilt 2JZGE w/ 1.3mm HG
PT-61 turbo
DaveH Manifold
Front Mount Intercooler 32x8x3.5
Tial Wastegate
MAP ECU
550cc rx7 injectors
Custom 3" mandrel piping to magnaflow 14835
255lph walboro Fuel Pump
Apexi BOV
2.5" Intercooler piping
Stage 1 AIS water methanol injection

Also with this set up what kind of numbers do you guys think i will be making? I was hoping to make around 400 give or take 50.
Old 03-25-09, 11:13 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

You certianly have the makings of a 400+ whp SC. Interestingly enough, its the +/-50 hp notation you made that is actually quite meaningful as it impacts two things. Fuel system and tranny.

fwiw, I got two years and about 18k on my stage three kevlar kevlar clutch. It was fine until I finally sorted out the mis-fire gremlins that held me to the lower range of 400whp late last year. In my case the slippage reared its head at the ~440 whp and is brought on by repeated WOT run through the gears, especially on track days. Realistically the slippage is probably responsible for the general good health and survival of my w58 tranny. You did not say what you have in that regard.

At this point I am in r154 parts collection mode with the tranny in house.

It was the dyno tune truth that the 550cc eom MKIV TT injectors were at or nearing their duty cycle max as whp hit into the mid-400's that lead me to upgrade to 700cc top feed as an engine safety margin issue.

So my experience (on the 2jzgte) was that advancing into 400+whp level was a meaningful thresehold event. Don't be surprised as fuel / w58 tranny issues make themselves known in that zone.

Last edited by SCoupe; 03-25-09 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-25-09, 11:26 PM
ZSC3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SCoupe
You certianly have the makings of a 400+ whp SC. Interestingly enough, its the +/-50 hp notation you made that is actually quite meaningful as it impacts two things. Fuel system and tranny.

fwiw, I got two years and about 18k on my stage three kevlar kevlar clutch. It was fine until I finally sorted out the mis-fire gremlins that held me to the lower range of 400whp late last year. In my case the slippage reared its head at the ~440 whp and is brought on by repeated WOT run through the gears, especially on track days. Realistically the slippage is probably responsible for the general good health and survival of my w58 tranny. You did not say what you have in that regard.

At this point I am in r154 parts collection mode with the tranny in house.

It was the dyno tune truth that the 550cc eom MKIV TT injectors were at or nearing their duty cycle max as whp hit into the mid-400's that lead me to upgrade to 700cc top feed as an engine safety margin issue.

So my experience (on the 2jzgte) was that advancing into 400+whp level was a meaningful thresehold event. Don't be surprised as fuel / w58 tranny issues make themselves known in that zone.
Thanks for the useful info. I will still be running my w58 tranny unless i run into a nice deal on the R154. Which i really hope i do because i got my eyes open for one right now but if nothing comes up i will just run the w58. SCoupe what have you heard about Spec clutches?
Old 03-26-09, 08:17 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do what you would like but i have a spec Stage 3 in my car and it hate it like no other. the petal feel is soft as can be and the thing chatters like crazy!
Old 03-26-09, 09:42 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ZSC3
...what have you heard about Spec clutches?
Nothing and I'm not much of a resourse on clutches other than what I stated above.

I trusted my shop who did the swap work and they had the Kevlar Kevlar clutch custom built at a local shop. No chatter, oem feel and I've been very happy (excepting the above caveat as the whp bumped up).

Biggu, sorry to hear that. I hope other stage 3 clutches aren't like this.
Old 03-26-09, 10:02 PM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

i had the spec 3+ with the super clamp option in my w58 before and did not like it asthe pedal to a lot of effort compared to stock. but it did hold the power.
Old 03-26-09, 11:01 PM
ZSC3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by craaaazzy
i had the spec 3+ with the super clamp option in my w58 before and did not like it asthe pedal to a lot of effort compared to stock. but it did hold the power.
whats the difference between Spec 3+ and Spec 3+ w/ super clamp?
Old 03-27-09, 04:54 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

additional 100 torque holding power compared to the non super clamp pressure plate is what the sales guy told me over the phone when i purchased
Old 03-27-09, 06:40 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by craaaazzy
additional 100 torque holding power compared to the non super clamp pressure plate is what the sales guy told me over the phone when i purchased
Is that because they didn't machine down the pressure plate so much or is the clutch actually better? Spec later stage clutches are iffy with their methodology of not giving you REAL world numbers... Have you tried Centerforce or Competition Clutch?
Old 03-27-09, 08:02 AM
craaaazzy
Lead Lap

no idea red, never asked. a few months after i installed it, i did my r154 swap and used the HPF ferramic kit which was a great street clutch.