Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Funny video of my BOV on my SC300...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-02 | 04:28 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Cory, is it still an SP60/Spearco FMIC/FMAX manifold? Is it currently using the TH350?
Old 03-12-02 | 08:48 PM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

Cory, is it still an SP60/Spearco FMIC/FMAX manifold? Is it currently using the TH350?
Correct about the I/C and Manifold...As for the turbo and tranny, the car lacks both of them at the moment. I will keep you guys updated.
Old 03-13-02 | 06:01 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Let me guess... Your taking some parts off of ethan's machine.
Old 03-13-02 | 08:47 AM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by SC300T
Let me guess... Your taking some parts off of ethan's machine.
The way he goes through parts, that's a great assumption.

These are all new parts. I have a bad cam so I'll probably using one of Ethan's old factories...that's about it.
Old 03-13-02 | 09:30 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

My question is; what is your opinion of the quality of the fmax manifold?

I saw an old kit on a supra and it was crap; but fmax claims that they never knew and never had any complaints about it...

dunno what's goin on about it; but your ideas as a first hand user on the manifold would be great
Old 03-13-02 | 08:42 PM
ChrisSC300
Pole Position

about your high beams. Watching your 1st video clip it lookes like there are amber colored bulbs in your high beam spots. I thought it looked sweet, but it just might of been then reflection of the beake lights from the car in front.
Old 03-14-02 | 09:18 PM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Bean
My question is; what is your opinion of the quality of the fmax manifold?

I saw an old kit on a supra and it was crap; but fmax claims that they never knew and never had any complaints about it...

dunno what's goin on about it; but your ideas as a first hand user on the manifold would be great
Bean,

I'm really glad you asked. I like talking about my manifold.

All kidding aside (I actually wasn't), I really like the design of the manifold. In between each runner there are "slits" which allow the manifold to expand and return to the normal shape in between getting really hot and cooling down.

It doesn't leak, hasn't cracked yet, albeit, it is heat coated. SP did the heat coating *I believe (before I owned it). This manifold is 2 years old and probably has 10,000 miles on it. Like I said, I really do like it.

I'd suggest giving Larry, or Ivan, or heck even Cooter a call at SP. I don't know if he'd know much about it, but tell him my experience and ask him about {the history of} my manifold.

Don't quote me, but someone heat coated my manifold.

It doesn't lack craftsmanship...that's for sure. Here is a pic, judge for yourself:
Attached Thumbnails Funny video of my BOV on my SC300...-turbo-and-man.jpg  
Old 03-14-02 | 09:19 PM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by ChrisSC300
about your high beams. Watching your 1st video clip it lookes like there are amber colored bulbs in your high beam spots. I thought it looked sweet, but it just might of been then reflection of the beake lights from the car in front.
You are correct. That was a Supra in front of me.

*edit, it was the reflection...I have nothing done to my high beams...
Old 03-15-02 | 09:35 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

oh sweeeet

what turbo are you running? and what intercooler piping

do you know offhand if the Fmax's piping will fit over a T60-1 or T66 when going into the throttle body at that 90degree bend over the turbo? i'm worried a larger turbo than the T04E-60 would hit it if the fmax manifold was used

thanks dude, you da man!

Last edited by Bean; 03-15-02 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-15-02 | 09:44 AM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

The manifold looks pretty nice. The cuts in the runners are something that the Toyomoto manifold incorporates, too. The Toyomoto is all one piece, though---without all the welds, and is cast iron. It almost looks like the FMAX is some kind of stock manifold that was modified somehow, and welded together. With the runners looking like they do, it looks like a combination of cast material and then welded, is this so?

Bean:
With that angle it looks like you could put a fairly large turbo without clearance issues. The compressor side on Lexkids pics looks pretty big already.

Last edited by SC300T; 03-15-02 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-15-02 | 12:30 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 1M

yeah that turbo looks a wee bit bigger than a T04E

i still don't like Fmax's intercooler piping; it isn't as pretty as Toyomotos is

although I am thinking of going with a custom air/water IC setup anyway; oh well i dunno
Old 03-15-02 | 12:34 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

I have to be honest, I want to see more, but that FMAX manifold really doesn't look bad at all, runners seem a bit short, or is it the angle? Probably not abundant in low end torque, but hey, for $4800 bucks with FMIC and T04E-60, the FMAX kit is starting to look like a pretty good deal for something entry-level, especially if Cory hasn't had any problems with it at all, but if you did you could always change over to Toyomoto/SP/Perf. Factory/PHR/HKS manifold and downpipe later, like when you upgrade to an SP63 or larger for instance. Now that I think of it, there's a great deal on an SC3 about 40 miles from here, $6000 and in nice shape, that's crackhead cheap to me, with that and the FMAX kit plus some meters and EGT probe, I could be all done and install it myself for around $12,000 total. Like I said, could always upgrade the manifold and dp later if I didn't like. Hmm, maybe i'll take a ride and see if that SC3 is still there.....
Old 03-17-02 | 03:41 PM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Bean
oh sweeeet

what turbo are you running? and what intercooler piping

do you know offhand if the Fmax's piping will fit over a T60-1 or T66 when going into the throttle body at that 90degree bend over the turbo? i'm worried a larger turbo than the T04E-60 would hit it if the fmax manifold was used

thanks dude, you da man!
That was an SP60 on there. I sold it. I am shooting for some higher numbers.

As for the T60, yes, FMAX piping will fit over it. As for the T66, it'd depend on the size of the housing of the turbo. I'd guess it would. I would guess it would need probably 5-7mm more clearance (than the SP60) in between the I/C piping and turbo. I had about 2 inches.

You should see Ethan's I/C piping.

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...s/055c2520.jpg

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...Lexus/id20.htm

I like the idea of cocking the intake manifold off to the firewall side of the motor so that the turbo will clear.
Old 03-17-02 | 03:43 PM
soarer 300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
I have to be honest, I want to see more, but that FMAX manifold really doesn't look bad at all, runners seem a bit short, or is it the angle? Probably not abundant in low end torque, but hey, for $4800 bucks with FMIC and T04E-60, the FMAX kit is starting to look like a pretty good deal for something entry-level, especially if Cory hasn't had any problems with it at all, but if you did you could always change over to Toyomoto/SP/Perf. Factory/PHR/HKS manifold and downpipe later, like when you upgrade to an SP63 or larger for instance. Now that I think of it, there's a great deal on an SC3 about 40 miles from here, $6000 and in nice shape, that's crackhead cheap to me, with that and the FMAX kit plus some meters and EGT probe, I could be all done and install it myself for around $12,000 total. Like I said, could always upgrade the manifold and dp later if I didn't like. Hmm, maybe i'll take a ride and see if that SC3 is still there.....
The runners are short. You are very correct. And no, I haven't had any problems with my car. Just ripping up weak transmissions and torque converters because of too much power.
Old 03-17-02 | 04:04 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lexkid

I don't know what I'm putting down. Haven't dynoed it. Comparable setups have done right around 500rwhp on 22-23 psi.

As for the high beams, I haven't touched them.

Nice car lexkid. Have you ever taken it to the track. With around 625hp at the flywheel( and a better power to weight ratio than a Lamborghini Murcielago) i'm guessing you are probably running high 10's to low 11's, right.

Quick Reply: Funny video of my BOV on my SC300...