Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-09, 12:35 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Advice

So I got my tax return in the other day. I beat the system some how and got more than I was supposed to, so I better start spending it right??? Well anyways I bought a few items for the SC already, nothing big yet. However my next big upgrade is the exhaust. I've done alot of research on the sounds of different set-ups, my particular favorite being the resonator deletes with magnaflow x-pipe and magnaflow 14829 dual mufflers. But I would like to hear some other opinions, I dont want to spend too much money on it. My second question is what is everyone's opinion on straight pipes with finished tips? I know it will significantly reduce back pressure, but is this really that bad? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-03-09, 01:07 PM
SClean4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on getting better mufflers, it's probably the safest thing to do but also a little more expensive than some of the other cheaper exhaust mods.

resonators delete will only make it slightly louder...you may not even notice it it's so slight. i did mine way back and i thought i was soooo loud after my resonators were deleted but it's really a very subtle change. it was just cool for me to have my car a little louder than it was before.

if you want to go louder, a new, upgraded cat(s) (or eliminating a cat if you can do it, while still passing emissions) might make it a little louder. don't know for sure how much louder/difference since i haven't touched my cats yet but have read.

i have a cutout with a turndown tip that sounds amazing. the benefit of a cutout is you can open or close it and make it quiet or loud at any time if you have an electric one. also it probably sounds a little deeper than most/all mufflers, and definitely louder. with the turndown it sounds really deep and mean. without the turndown it doesn't sound as good, annoyingly loud and gets more sound and vibration in the cabin.
Old 04-03-09, 01:37 PM
Ryeno
Banned

I would personally do suspension and brake calipers/rims, if you havent already. Then do exhaust after you have swapped out the engine(not sure if he have or have not swapped yet) and know what your power goals are.
Old 04-03-09, 04:26 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

I went to a lot of trouble on this cause I wasn't looking for LOUD but I wanted better MPG and HP.....no matter how slim. I tested the back pressure at the input to that single pipe down the middle and found only a half pound or so back pressure at redline under load. That wasn't much! I checked further back but it was unmeasurable. Sooooo, I carefully cut that center section out. I thought it was a second cat but it turned out to be a resonator stuffed with stainless steel that was still intact. I replaced it with a large section of straight pipe. With two into the chamber and two out it acts like a "X" pipe or crossover. Gives it a deep snarl kind of sound if you rev it and it sounds nice moving out. No cabin noise that is objectionable to anyone but you can hear it. Be very careful when you open up that center can,=. It was very carefully assembled/welded so that the twin pipes dumped into the resonator in a stepped arrangement. Don't know but Lex ain't no bunch of dummies so they had a reason to go to that much trouble.

I left all the rest of stainless steel plumbing alone. The cost to weld in that center piece of pipe? $25 labor. $10 material. Thats all folks!!!!

John
Old 04-03-09, 06:53 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ill be running a striaght pipe to a muffler here pretty soon, Ill let ya know how obnoxious it is afterwards
Old 04-03-09, 11:26 PM
P.R.S.22
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You must follow in the ways of redphoenix captain. Haha....in all honesty I think it will be the cheapest thing for you and you already know how it sounds. It would go along perfect with the rest of your ride. Once you get this done you are set man (as for as the outside goes at least)!!!
Old 04-04-09, 02:14 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on what you want to spend... But if I had to do it again with the Mangaflows on the pre 97 rear bumper... I would get oval mufflers that exit on the side. Just because the center outlet mufflers sit funny on the 92-96 rear bumpers.

Or just get some JDM cans... HKS is cheap now.