Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Video - 1992 SC400 > W58 Conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-09, 10:22 AM
93sc3005sp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i had the dough, i would love to do a 1uz vvti into my sc300 5spd
Old 04-11-09, 12:25 PM
Mattmannz
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

How did you calculate the length required? How much free play does the TOB have?

Cheers
Old 04-11-09, 01:21 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

has about enough clearance to where you put your foot barely on the clutch pedal and it will touch the pressure plate.

I will let Jake explain how he measured the TOB, I was busy working on some part of the swap during that time.
Old 04-11-09, 02:40 PM
SHOLEXMAN
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shajbot
So how is highway driving at high speed?
I drove his car when he was drunk and couldn't drive. Its a blast to drive especially when down shifting to a light. Its very responsive threw all gears did a 50mph roll down shift to 4th. The car gets up and goes smooth though not as violent as my Supra with its crappy suspension and driveline bushings.
Old 04-11-09, 03:20 PM
tavarish
Lexus Test Driver

I love the exhaust note. Kudos on the swap.

Getrag next year.
Old 04-11-09, 09:29 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
I drove his car when he was drunk and couldn't drive.
.... When was I drunk? If you count Applebees.... well... You needed to go somewhere and I didn't want to drive.

On other note... Car still is running well!

Last edited by RedPhoenix; 04-12-09 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-12-09, 01:19 PM
shajbot
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SHOLEXMAN
I drove his car when he was drunk and couldn't drive. Its a blast to drive especially when down shifting to a light. Its very responsive threw all gears did a 50mph roll down shift to 4th. The car gets up and goes smooth though not as violent as my Supra with its crappy suspension and driveline bushings.
Nice, but isn't the rpm is higher for cruise gear because its ratio is higher than of an auto?
Old 04-12-09, 03:19 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by shajbot
Nice, but isn't the rpm is higher for cruise gear because its ratio is higher than of an auto?

Yes its slightly higher. Not a huge deal, but I do plan on a GS400 3.26 rear end eventually.
Old 04-12-09, 07:56 PM
tampa mike
Driver

what wheels are those on your car? they look sweet.

and congrats on the tranny swap
Old 04-13-09, 12:27 AM
OMD
Pole Position

Kudos on the swap man!! i love the sound of your car!! you got PM!
Old 04-13-09, 12:27 PM
psifactor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JakeBreyck
actually my comments are direct from riding in a 1jz supra a few weeks back it did have a sorta large single turbo, but cruising at about 35 in 3th (don't know the rpm) he punches it, and the car does not do anything but sorta barley accelerate, my car at that situation will put you in the seat then start breaking the tires free. it was a low 12sec car. so I'm not saying the car in all situations is slow. but the just gas and go it had nothing.

yes i agree they can make power and they are not bad motors. Nore do i think they are actually ricer in anyway. but they are down on displacement. and sense all I've ever heard about the UZ series motor is that they are crap and i disagree strongly ill let you guys have back what i got. I love the fact you guys are so bent out of shape about this :-)
LOL LOL LOL. Guess you are refering to riding in my car when Chris barley even got on it?????????? And why have you turned down my request to race on two different occassions? You wouldn't be the first person I've embarrased.

Dude your motor that is almost twice as large barley even makes half of what the gutless 1j makes. Hell your car didn't even make close to the power my car made STOCK. LOL :LOL:

Sorry to off topic again. After you told me about this thread I just had to check it out! Good work on the car. It does look great
Old 04-13-09, 12:46 PM
2.5tsoarer
Lexus Test Driver

^ Very Interesting....I guess he turned you down because he rather goto Sebring or Road Atlanta maybe Daytona !!!
Old 04-13-09, 02:04 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

I cant believe this is back up again..

Actually like posted before by someone else they make about the same power. My comments where only in regard to swapping a SC400 to a 1JZ by the time you spend the money to put a 1jz into a sc400 you could have a killer 1UZ. They take boost really well.

I never once said my STOCK 1uz can beat evey 1jz powered cars out there in a drag race. both Ralph and Kelly have more money in power making upgrades on there 1jz's then i have total in all 3 of my cars combined, so theirs really nothing to prove. I never once said either of you had slow cars.

But Chris was Full throttle for a good 10 seconds with the car barely picking up 5mph, he was way out of the cars power band, yes of course you wouldn't be racing anyone outside of your power band. but its my reason for why i say the 1uz with a manual is a whole lot more fun to drive around then a 1jz. and for the sc400 guys a whole lot cheaper. i don't care to race either of you, im sure i would loose in a drag race to Kelly and fairly sure to Ralph car as well, but that's not at all in the spirit of what i ment by my post. hell i could build a 4ag that would walk all over my current supra, doesnt mean its more fun to drive.

this is the most ridiculous argument Ive ever seen and its way outside of what i ment by my post that started the whole thing. So i don't like the 1jz compared to the 1uz F-ing suck it up, not every one has to like what you like. a lot of people don't like the 1uz over the ls1, you don't see us 1uz guys getting but hurt over it, we don't care.
Old 04-13-09, 07:38 PM
BlackMamba
Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Heres a video for you folks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DMg5_mUpYE

Rules for this thread - Do NOT make this into a W58 vs X thread - I do not care.

Car runs... and very well mind you. Yes I am a rookie driver to manual... 4 days old to be exact. No comments on that either.

Other than that.... post away
good looking ride
Old 04-13-09, 08:11 PM
Brendon
Pole Position

does anyone know if this swap kit can work with vvti engines?

Quick Reply: Video - 1992 SC400 > W58 Conversion...