Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Another Starting Issue, New battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-09, 05:51 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Another Starting Issue, New battery?

History:
1994 SC400 was out for ~5 months due to dead alternator.
Replaced both alternator and power steering; both a success!
Car was left in the garage for a while, battery was dead, charged it up and everything was fine.
Drove for ~100 miles, parked, started again without a problem after ~2 hours.
Left for 3 days, tried starting, battery very dead, but it still cranks.
Replaced with brand new fully charged battery, cannot crank at all. Details below.

Problem:
When I insert the key, steering wheel auto-tilts, turn to ON position; interior lights on, dash lights up (all good signs), to START position; *click* everything dies, not even cranking.
Pull the key out, sometimes steering wheel auto-tilts back, sometimes it doesn't. All lights are dead.
Put the key back in, wheel tilts, lights and dash are on, when i try to start, everything dies, no cranking.

Peculiarities:
One time, after I tried to start, everything died, no lights. Approx. 10 seconds later, interior light comes on but very dimly and stays dim. I turn the light off, then back on and it is at full brightness.
Usually when key is put to ON position, all lights on dash light up and then disappear. However, CEL, battery discharge, and low oil pressure lights remain on.
Absolutely nothing else was touched between removal of dead battery and replacement with brand new one.

What's the problem?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Last edited by greyBLITZ; 04-06-09 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-06-09, 01:38 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Bump.

Did some more tests and noticed some more things:

1) After a failed attempt to start (no cranking), clock always resets to 1:00. However, steering wheel position is memorized.

2) Put key in, wheel tilts, no crank, all electrical dies, pull key out and wheel does not tilt back. If interior light is on, there is zero power for approx 30 seconds. If interior light is turned off, things change. Once key is pulled out, wheel tilts back, no complete loss of power.

3) When key is put in and to ON position, I noticed the cd player is doing something, so I took the cartridge out. I figured this is similar with the interior light, if CD player has to work, then power dies for 30 seconds, but if cartridge is out, no sound from CD player and power resumes immediately.

Any feedback would be very much appreciated!!

Last edited by greyBLITZ; 04-06-09 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-06-09, 07:14 PM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are giveaways of a wiring problem homie, maybe originating in your ignition system, maybe behind your dash, maybe in your kitchen...

Wiring = Hell.
Unless youre a bored moderator.
Old 04-06-09, 07:54 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

^ Hmm, strange though, absolutely nothing was touched between removal of the old battery and installation of the new one. Removed Saturday night and replaced it Sunday afternoon.

Also, did some more testing today:

1) Tried boosting with another vehicle, still the same problem. So it's not a battery connection issue.

2) I noticed that when key is in ON position, sometimes when I hold the brakes, everything dies out. I conclude that whenever something draws a lot of power, ie: the massive brake lights or cranking the engine, then all power dies out.

Is there another way I can diagnose?
Old 04-07-09, 02:40 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Another bump, hopefully some electrical experts might notice or someone with an idea. Please, any feedback or other tests I can do would be much appreciated.

Would it possibly be a problem with a fuse? If so, which is the most likely culprit?
Old 04-08-09, 04:22 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Another bump again. Anxious to get back up and running.

How can I perform electrical diagnostics?
Old 04-08-09, 08:55 PM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe try to grab a voltometer and make sure your battery is cranking out at least 12 volts, if <12...you may have faulty terminals while the battery may be fine. Im trying to think of anything I can man, sorry.
Old 04-09-09, 05:39 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

Your help is really appreciated. I gave that a try on both the battery posts and the terminals, so the connection seems fine. Thanks a lot for your efforts!
Old 04-11-09, 04:11 PM
greyBLITZ
Lead Lap

For future reference to other members. Hopefully it is useful for those experiencing similar symptoms.

I checked out lextreme and found an interesting test for the starter. http://www.lextreme.com/dx-starter.html

I performed the bypass and it is most definitely a problem with the starter. I can hear the starter solenoid engaging but it's not cranking. There is a tutorial on lextreme on how to change the starter but it looks like hell, not something I am willing to attempt with my level of knowledge.

I was initially focused on some problem with the battery since that was the only thing that was even touched, as well as the fact that starters rarely fail, so it was just coincidence.
Old 04-11-09, 09:06 PM
FuMoFFuTT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... you have an alarm?