Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

$5k for machine work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 03:20 AM
Durrr
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definitely all forged components, maybe even knife edging
Old 04-17-09, 04:25 AM
Asha'man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sup2jzgte
Here is an oddball question. Say I get an engine with 35k on it, can get a cluster to reflect that or do i have to keep the current cluster with the 180k, legal?
Your odometer is for the mileage on your car, not your engine. Don't mess with it.
Old 04-17-09, 06:52 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the shop was trying to tell you, 'we dont want your business'.

Why? Well you were trying to save money buy sourcing the parts yourself. Engine machine shops are struggling to stay in business and compete with the larger rebuild operations, and they don't like it when they can't make a profit off the parts.

I had a 4hr conversation about this with the last machine shop owner I had rebuild my motor. The smaller shops are dropping like flies.
Old 04-17-09, 02:04 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RyanV
I think the shop was trying to tell you, 'we dont want your business'.

Why? Well you were trying to save money buy sourcing the parts yourself. Engine machine shops are struggling to stay in business and compete with the larger rebuild operations, and they don't like it when they can't make a profit off the parts.

I had a 4hr conversation about this with the last machine shop owner I had rebuild my motor. The smaller shops are dropping like flies.
Actually this place is booked solid, the earliest he could start on my car was middle of May and that was getting me squeezed in. He had absolutely no problems with me bringing the parts, so I highly doubt he is going to say no if I decided to do it.

If a small shop that is struggling turns away business because someone gets their own parts, they are retarded sorry but money is made in labor not parts.
Old 04-17-09, 04:07 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If a small shop that is struggling turns away business because someone gets their own parts, they are retarded sorry but money is made in labor not parts.
i wouldnt say you are completely wrong but very wrong non the less. if you ever worked for a retailer or sales you would know that the labor "services" for the most part are done as a convenience feature. most of the money is not made on the big dollar items either. the big bucks are made on small parts and accessories because thats where the biggest mark-ups are made.

a shop will sell you some valves and cams and make 100 bucks on 1000 bucks. maybe more depends on product.

on the other hand a shop can sell you a bunch of small things, like bushings, gaskets, even wiring connectors(ie power wire and such), and they will make 50 bucks on a 100 order.

do the math. 10% profit vs. 50% profit.

i think they did try to turn you down. there is no way that labor alone is worth that much. not even half of that amount. that kind of outrageous quote just screams "i cant/dont want to deal with you crap"
Old 04-17-09, 05:27 PM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
i wouldnt say you are completely wrong but very wrong non the less. if you ever worked for a retailer or sales you would know that the labor "services" for the most part are done as a convenience feature. most of the money is not made on the big dollar items either. the big bucks are made on small parts and accessories because thats where the biggest mark-ups are made.

a shop will sell you some valves and cams and make 100 bucks on 1000 bucks. maybe more depends on product.

on the other hand a shop can sell you a bunch of small things, like bushings, gaskets, even wiring connectors(ie power wire and such), and they will make 50 bucks on a 100 order.

do the math. 10% profit vs. 50% profit.

i think they did try to turn you down. there is no way that labor alone is worth that much. not even half of that amount. that kind of outrageous quote just screams "i cant/dont want to deal with you crap"
I can see where you are coming from, and honestly you might be right but if a shop is struggling why would they turn any business away............even though I know these guys are not having any issues lol.

After talking to a few more local people I found out this place is super expensive mostly because he is only one of a handful of people that do really good work in this area and there is only 6 employees total.

I brought my car down there today so the owner could look at it and now he is saying $2000 in labor, apparently the person I spoke with over the phone was just tossing rough numbers and the reason why he originally quoted me $5k is because he was under the impression that I wanted NEW pistons,rods and crankshaft installed as well, which I dont all I want is new rings and the shaft balanced not replaced. So after clearing that misunderstanding up I feel a bit better, but I'm still thinking about just getting a low mileage engine, still not sure yet

So now the break down is $2000 labor and if I get the parts from them another $1600, but he told me if I want to get my own OEM parts that is not an issue. So $3600 seems much better and I'm really thinking about it, but still doing my research.
Old 04-18-09, 09:07 AM
madmax98
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

lol hahahahahah. Man, if that was me hearing that number, i would give him the one finger salute right in his face. He either thinks you're an idiot, or he doesn't want to do it, i'm guessing they're too bussy. In either case, he deserves the one finger salute LOL
Old 04-18-09, 06:00 PM
spin all 4
Driver School Candidate

When I was in the car audio business, we had what was called a "go away quote." If some one came in with a car that had a huge potential for broken parts, ect we would give them a quote that would either make them leave or pay us enough to work on the car while taking our time being ultra careful ect.

I think somebody gave you a go away quote.
Old 04-19-09, 03:10 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spin all 4
When I was in the car audio business, we had what was called a "go away quote." If some one came in with a car that had a huge potential for broken parts, ect we would give them a quote that would either make them leave or pay us enough to work on the car while taking our time being ultra careful ect.

I think somebody gave you a go away quote.
LOL yeah i agree, but the jackass I spoke with did not expect me to drive down and speak with the owner aka HIS BOSS lol. I find it funny that the owner seems excited about the thought of working on my engine and quoted me almost exactly what others on here said it should be, maybe a bit higher. Then to top it off the guy that gave me the original quote tried saying it was a miss understanding lol
Old 04-19-09, 09:08 AM
Methodical
Lead Lap

Sounds like one of those shops that knows they do good work and therefore, they try to bend everyone over who walks through the door. There's a major shop like that in my area and that's exactly what they try to do to everyone. Fortunately, I found the guy who does ALL of their maching work and went directly to him and saved about $1,500-$2,000.00.

I HATE shops that try to rip off their customers!!!

Last edited by Methodical; 04-19-09 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-19-09, 10:47 AM
sparks11
Rookie

machine shops are vanishing got a friend wich owns a machine shop and he's in trouble staying in bussines, most people including me would go for a swap instead of rebuilt..there are two good stores here in california bay area(which I worked for them several years ago)
they bring the engines from japan low milage and reasonable prices.with 6 months warranty, delivery right to your door or shop (I bought myself a couple engines there)maybe there will be a store like that in your area. the price they want to charge you seems a little high to me since you can easily do swap and keep some money for later mods. but that's your choice if you really like your car you will do it anyway not mattering the price
Old 04-20-09, 07:45 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL yeah i agree, but the jackass I spoke with did not expect me to drive down and speak with the owner aka HIS BOSS lol. I find it funny that the owner seems excited about the thought of working on my engine and quoted me almost exactly what others on here said it should be, maybe a bit higher. Then to top it off the guy that gave me the original quote tried saying it was a miss understanding lol
get another motor for 400 bucks and slap it in.
Old 04-20-09, 09:23 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aliga
get another motor for 400 bucks and slap it in.
Yeah that is kinda what I'm thinking about doing, the only issues I have with that is the following.

My garage is still in progress so I would have to do all the work outside and I have nowhere to store the hoist, I really wanna just swap out the engine. If I go the route of getting the new engine I'm going to replace every gasket minus the HG, so I would need a place to work on the engine and yet again my garage is roofless and right now has 3 walls lol, so unless there is a way I can get the engine into my basement there really is noway I can work on it........I wish I could figure out someway to hoist it through the store cellar doors,but there is about a 4 foot drop.

So now I'm in the stage of shopping around to find prices on getting the engine sent to a shop and having them do the install, but most shops will not install an engine that they did not sell me , including Toyota.
Old 04-20-09, 10:16 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah that is kinda what I'm thinking about doing, the only issues I have with that is the following.

My garage is still in progress so I would have to do all the work outside and I have nowhere to store the hoist, I really wanna just swap out the engine. If I go the route of getting the new engine I'm going to replace every gasket minus the HG, so I would need a place to work on the engine and yet again my garage is roofless and right now has 3 walls lol, so unless there is a way I can get the engine into my basement there really is noway I can work on it........I wish I could figure out someway to hoist it through the store cellar doors,but there is about a 4 foot drop.

So now I'm in the stage of shopping around to find prices on getting the engine sent to a shop and having them do the install, but most shops will not install an engine that they did not sell me , including Toyota.
do the work outside, thats how i do it.
Old 04-20-09, 10:25 AM
Sup2jzgte
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aliga
do the work outside, thats how i do it.
Where do you store your hoist lol?

Quick Reply: $5k for machine work?