Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 / Gs400 Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-02, 08:46 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can you ask him what it would cost roughly to turbo the SC400? It should be pretty similar to your LS400 so if you show him your LS400 they should have a pretty good idea. Thanx dude!
Old 05-02-02, 10:53 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gentleman's name at E.L. Prototypes is Eric Lapca, he's a good guy, and he knows his *****, I worked out everything with him, but couldn't get someone in CA to leave their whip with him for a couple months, that's what it will take. If you're willing to do so, once he fabs the manifolds, he's willing to put it into kit form and ship it to anyone who wants one, but we have to get a 1UZ car into his shop. Tell him Jon with the SC400 from NY sent you, 'retrodrive' also knows him.
Old 05-02-02, 10:55 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Dennis, what about Bill and Ehren? Are you going to have them TT your car?
- Jon
Old 05-02-02, 11:07 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Luthor: they are good in every sence of the word but I can't imagine them doing it in a economically efficienty way. They estimate somewhere around $12,000 for a full twin turbo setup and they will need my car for more than 2 months. I think time is near for someone to develope a kit. once the kit is in place I am going to call bill and ehrin and have the pick and choose the parts out of the kit(it will be alot cheaper since they would be somewhat pre-fab) and buy the others from outside vendors.
Old 05-02-02, 03:02 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

I'm sure they'll do it for less than $12,000 , as for the 2 months, if they didn't keep it that long, i'd wonder what corners had been cut. That's how long E.L.P. needs to do it as well, but he'll do it for $6000-8000. To be honest, i've given up on this, gonna go the easy way, with a 2JZ, but if you wanna 'take up the torch' as it were, go nuts....
Old 05-02-02, 03:09 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default Intake Manifold

How much work really needs to be done to the intake manifold? Has anyone looked into this? Do we have to completely rebuild it?

I am hoping someone has a handle on what exactly needs to be done to the intake manifold so I can get one fabricated if necessary.

Any estimates on the amount of labor and the cost of the whole modification?

Lets keep the momentum rolling....
Old 05-02-02, 07:05 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default Would these work?

Would the following turbos work or would they be too small?

Garrett (M10) T3 Turbo
The compressor AR is 0.42 and the turbine AR is 0.48

I know these are small but would they be sufficient together to provide enough boost for 450rwhp on the SC400? They seem like they would spool up mighty fast.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I was quoted $800-1200 to make a custom exhaust manfold and 2 to 3 weeks. Is this a good price and time frame?

and...

One shop told me they would consider doing a turbo kit but they need to have enough people show some real interest. We would have to prove that enough people would really buy the kit and not back down.
Old 05-02-02, 11:27 PM
mjames08
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Would these work?

Originally posted by Hermosa
Would the following turbos work or would they be too small?

Garrett (M10) T3 Turbo

I know these are small but would they be sufficient together to provide enough boost for 450rwhp on the SC400? They seem like they would spool up mighty fast.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, I was quoted $800-1200 to make a custom exhaust manfold and 2 to 3 weeks. Is this a good price and time frame?

and...

One shop told me they would consider doing a turbo kit but they need to have enough people show some real interest. We would have to prove that enough people would really buy the kit and not back down.

what would the price range be?
Old 05-03-02, 06:45 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

each T3 will run about $500-$600

all in all not a bad deal; and whoever can get you manifolds for $800-$1200 (remember you need two); is a good deal; i'd run with it

two T3s will be enough for around 600rwhp with sufficient boost
Old 05-03-02, 07:57 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Bean
all in all not a bad deal; and whoever can get you manifolds for $800-$1200 (remember you need two);
Yes this is for the pair. However...

Do you think the stock exhaust manifold could be used for low boost(10PSI) applications with just modification so that a turbo could fit at the end? I mean SRT is supercharging Lexus cars with stock manifolds and getting 400RWHP. And...

With that in mind would we really have to fabricate an intake manifold or is the stock one also sufficient for low boost?

Originally posted by Bean
two T3s will be enough for around 600rwhp with sufficient boost
600RWHP is more than I am looking for. I was hoping for 400-450. With the specs on that turbo I mentioned

This particular model of T3 can do 600 as a pair?!!! That would be awesome.
Old 05-03-02, 09:21 AM
mjames08
Pole Position

Originally posted by Hermosa

Yes this is for the pair. However...

Do you think the stock exhaust manifold could be used for low boost(10PSI) applications with just modification so that a turbo could fit at the end? I mean SRT is supercharging Lexus cars with stock manifolds and getting 400RWHP. And...

With that in mind would we really have to fabricate an intake manifold or is the stock one also sufficient for low boost?

600RWHP is more than I am looking for. I was hoping for 400-450. With the specs on that turbo I mentioned

This particular model of T3 can do 600 as a pair?!!! That would be awesome.
So after we have the exhaust manifold and the turbos, what about the ECU? Does it have to be tuned?
Old 05-03-02, 09:37 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

i meant 600rwhp running like 20psi of boost

450rwhp should be easily attainable with 10-12psi; and that is most likely doable on stock compression provided there's a little tuning involved

as for ECU reprogramming; i've stated having a preprogrammed greddy emanage to plug up would work wonders; i know people that can get access to the software; its just the issue of tuning the car the first time and distributing the maps; and the greddy emanage has the most features for anything in its class... you can run bigger injectors, additional injectors, and timing control and fuel control all at the same time

the EASIEST thing to do would be to pick up a MSD boost timing master controller... it retards timing 1-3 degrees per pound of boost... and get 2 additional injectors to plug into the pipe right before the throttle body and program them to come on at like 2-3psi of boost; and an upgraded fuel pump (i'm not sure how much it can take)

but yeah; twin T3s or even ported T28s with T3 wheels in them would make plenty of power...

twin T3s would spool around 2000rpms most likely; REALLY REALLY fast... the powerband would be enormous; it would make many big V8 boys envious... the good thing about the T3s is that they allow you a lot of headroom when you wanna make some SERIOUS power. the good thing about the T28s is they are cheaper; and they can still make decent power

and remember; this is all on stock top-end; stock heads/cams, etc... there's no telling what a porting job and some longer duration/lift cams would do... prolly some crazy numbers
1000 rwhp would be hella easier with this motor than the 2jz as far as mods go; its just not gonna be as easy to attain the parts and afford it all

and stock manifolds won't work i don't think; welding a flange onto a manifold is not a good idea; it will end up leaking
getting a set of custom made ones is a much better idea; plus the custom ones can be set up to flow hella more air

this is my idea:
twin T3s; i'll go check out the A/Rs later
twin sidemounts ICs from a SupraTT
custom manifolds as said above
custom intercooler piping
twin BOVs or one single depending on the IC pipe routing
MSD BTM - or emanage
AIC + 2 550 injectors - or emanage to run 6 550 primaries
walboro 255lph fuel pump
twin 3" downpipes that have a downsize flange to bolt to the stock cats

here's where the problem lies:
your limit will be about 10-12psi at the most on pump gas; prolly around 16-18psi on race gas
the tranny won't hold much more than 450rwhp
you'll need a better torque converter
a limited slip will be needed or you're gonna spin like the dickens
and there's the wastegate issue... should a universal manifold be made with twin external wastegates so people that want to upgrade to big turbos like T3/T4s don't have to get custom manifolds made again? or use normal manifolds and utilize the internals that come with the T3s

with twin T3s you won't have to worry about overboosting; but twin T3/T4s might cause a problem...

i think the Supras running the HKS GT2835 twins use internal wastegates and make 700rwhp; so i dunno

Last edited by Bean; 05-03-02 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-03-02, 04:37 PM
SCV8
Instructor

A buddy of mine just put together a 4cyl. BMW motor with his own intake and exhaust manifolds,T04,Starion intercooler,standalone,runs around 14psi with pump gas,he's having problems with rear ends;they're splitting down the middle.
His exhaust header has some flexible portions leading to the turbo,and the turbo isn't supported with the manifold.Same with the wastegate installation.
Would some stock Mitsubishi turbos work,I wonder,with a block off plate on the portion of the header that the wastegate would be mounted on higher hp setups?
Those turbos are good for 280hp on the 2 liter,4 cyl. that they came on,at around 14psi.
Any boosted motor will need some additional timing control at anything over 6psi.Heat will rise exponentially at boost levels above 7psi.
Staying at a low boost may be appealing for a very reliability-oriented owner who's willing to live with 380hp,or so.This would allow the use of an additional injector controller,such as the one made by SDS,and keep the ECU totally stock.
Option A...
Old 05-03-02, 05:54 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default Rods and Pistons

What about getting the rods and pistons off of a GS. We know these will stand up to the test considering the Stage 3 GS400s out there from Swift. This could be part of the kit but expensive.
Old 05-04-02, 05:23 AM
blankman
Driver School Candidate

Pretty sure those would be the same pistons and rods there, and engine reliability isn't even really an issue at the power level most are looking to get.

Flex tubing, on my car? I don't think so, especially not feeding a turbo.

Quick Reply: Sc400 / Gs400 Turbo Kit