Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 / Gs400 Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-02, 08:00 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I get to be the first one to laugh when someone here gets a manifold made and it cracks because they have no idea what real high heat will do to a welded assembly.
The flex tubing used is what nearly every car has right around the cat,but is contained in a woven stainless sleeve.

Good luck
Old 05-04-02, 11:53 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry, but you're wrong

i know of NO longitudally mounted engines that have a flex section in the exhaust...
only tranversely mounted engines do because they torque a certain way

your friend with the BMW is splitting rear ends because BMW can't make a strong part to save its life...

as for a GS bottom-end; its the same thing so it doesn't matter; its all 1uz-fe; the GS4 just have a different head and cam setup

SCV8, heat doesn't rise exponentially at 7psi; hell heat doesn't rise until about 21-22psi or so... remember its running TWIN intercoolers; that takes care of the heat problem... and the turbos aren't out of their efficiency range, so its not a problem...
timing control has already been mentioned. thats what the MSD BTM is... what will be holding the motor back is NOT heat; its going to be compression level; the stock compression on the 1uz is very high... so low boost will only be usable... if we can get some headgaskets to drop the comression down to a 8.5:1; then 20psi will be doable with enough fuel

low boost is considered to be 10-12psi... and I don't think anyone here is wanting to live with a measely 380hp; it'll be no more less reliable than at 520hp if tuned right; this motor is STRONG
and plus I doubt people want to spend over $6k just to keep up with a C5 vette... they want to trash a Z06 or a Viper.

screw SDS, the AIC i had in mind was one from Greddy, Haltech, or HKS, an actual quality unit... either that or the Emanage which is a better solution than both because it has actual fuel maps; not some tuning **** you twist

your friend doesn't know what he's doing with flex sections in the exhaust manifold; thats friggin nuts... and if you say that the normal manifolds are gonna blow; then whatever man... because i've NEVER seen a flex section in a exhaust manifold... if you go look at all the turbomotor setups; theyare all running tubular equal length manifolds or cast manifolds; just because its welded doesn't mean its gonna break... there are good welds and bad welds... if its correctly done by a good welder, it will last a long time

and i would like to be the first person to laugh at someone that uses flex sections in their exhaust manifold LOLOLOLOLOL ROFLMAO

Last edited by Bean; 05-04-02 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-05-02, 02:25 AM
808state
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pete's updated his site and you can check out his twin turbo 1uz-fe link....sweet

http://members.optushome.com.au/acti...twinturbo.html

no info at this time...while your at it check out ray hall's turbocharging website....

http://www.turbofast.com.au/lexus.html

combining the stock ecu and sm2 into the existing stock housing is quite creative.

gotta love those aussies.
Old 05-05-02, 05:48 AM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Some thoughts on blowing the 1UZ V8 (SC400, etc);

What power levels would the stock fuelling system be capable of producing?

If it is 400BHP @ Flywheel (figure plucked out of thin air) then a low cost entry level boost kit could be put together with this goal in mind, no additional fuel components required except for the SAFC.

As we are no longer looking for 500/600RWBHP a small centrifugal blower could be used with std inlet/exhaust manifolds, only low boost would be required to get to 400BHP with the stock 10:1 CR so there is no need to replace head gaskets or decompress. The transmission needs no mods at this power level, could it possibly use the standard air flow meter?

The end result is a totally stock 1UZ motor so reliability is assured (we know they are strong and well built), fewer custom components are required and a quick & easy install (days not months), the cost is greatly reduced (would anyone argue with $2,000/$2,500 estimate ?)

I know this will not appeal to the petrol heads and the thought of a 700bhp Twin Turbo V8 makes me drool but consider the average owner who has 260bhp (flywheel) and could get the best part of 400bhp for a few $thousand, it would make the SC400 much more drivable and fun to own.
Old 05-06-02, 08:02 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

i'll argue $2500; throw in $1000-$1500 for a custom hood

or not at all; there's no room otherwise for a blower unless some work is done

plus blowers aren't that great anyway; and i doubt anyone wants to spend $3500 on something and make the same amount of power they could with a $700 direct-port nitrous kit

we're talking 450rwhp; not 700rwhp.. 700rwhp will be possible with bigger T3/T4 turbos and some more engine work; but like i said in my above post, most people would be happy with 450rwhp
its enough to beat a Viper and any Ferrari save for the F50

plus I think a blower is a terrible thing on a V8 that isn't equipped to handle it suspension-wise; a roots-type would make far too much low-end power; and would roast the tires off the line... it would require some new WIDE expensive rims with some wide expensive tires and a LSD

i don't see how any parts on the aforementioned turbokit would take months to install; it would take longer than a blower... but its a better system, so it will take longer

the tranny can handle 450rwhp; and so can the engine at the 10:1 compression ratio; no headgaskets are needed... i said this in my previous post too... 10-12psi of boost can be done with stock compression

i owned a 400bhp vehicle before in my 300zxTT, it made about 330rwhp... it was ok; but it wasn't that great... beating stock V8 stangs and Z28s was cool; but once they did any mods like nitrous, a blower, boltons, etc... they would leave my car in the dust...

the blower idea also throws out all room for upgradability; the turbo kit has manifolds that would work with many different turbos; have intercoolers and piping and downpiipes already set up; so making more power can be done by upgrading the turbos or increasing the boost with the correct supporting mods...

Last edited by Bean; 05-06-02 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-06-02, 08:13 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Bean
plus blowers aren't that great anyway; and i doubt anyone wants to spend $3500 on something and make the same amount of power they could with a $700 direct-port nitrous kit
I would definitely want it. Nitrous can be a pain since you have to refill the bottle all the time. I would pay $3500 in a second for an extra 100rwhp.
Old 05-06-02, 01:12 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

well i wouldn't 100whp is one thing; being given more ceiling to go even furthur is another

i know what its like to be stuck at 330rwhp with no room to go unless MAJOR work is done or MAJOR cash is spent; its not fun

maybe its just me; but i'd get bored of 330rwhp in about a week; maybe less
Old 05-06-02, 02:21 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Supercharging is not a bad idea. I have a LS 400. The place for SC is relocate the battery and fuse box. Plenty of room for SC. As far as Supercharger (SC) I would prefer Self Contained SC. You dont have to drill the oil pan for oil The SC have its own oil system.
Old 05-06-02, 04:56 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Bean/Others;

Over the past week I have discussed supercharging with some renowned UK experts who have no experience with the 1UZ motor but they think that 450bhp (flywheel, not rear wheel) is easily attainable from the smaller blowers (small as a stock alternator) on the V8, this involves a bit of relocation work but no major stuff like custom manifolds or a new bonnet (hood).So for $2/2.5k you could get 450bhp if the standard fuelling system can cope.

This is not road burning stuff but the chance to have a very useable amount of power in the SC400 for a reasonably small outlay and retain the durability. If I had a stock 260bhp SC400 I would seriously be looking at an S/C to gain that healthy increase, anyone considering an "entry level" S/C would understand thay are leaving little room for future upgrades but most owners would be happy to stick with a reliable 450bhp.

Just something to bear in mind, the S/C even at low boost is going to seriously increase torque, bhp is not everything.
Old 05-06-02, 06:52 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Did you say you could get around 400 hp for 2.5k w/o NO2???
Old 05-06-02, 07:39 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default Fuel Requirements

Originally posted by Bean
an upgraded fuel pump (i'm not sure how much it can take)
Anyone have any news on how much fuel our SC400s can pump? This could be an issue for us. Even if someone does not know but knows pumps well, please give a recommendation on the model of fuel pump.
Old 05-07-02, 09:55 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by London Bill
Bean/Others;

Just something to bear in mind, the S/C even at low boost is going to seriously increase torque, bhp is not everything.
that is in an incorrect statement

horsepower is what moves your car; torque is just a number... it means nothing until it is applied over time...

i think you mean you'll get more low-end horsepower (which is synonymous with low-end torque)... which is correct IF its a roots type blower; which will require a bigger hood... a centrifugal unit wont give much low-end at all; its all mid and top-end... like a turbo

so in closing... peak bhp numbers aren't everything... but average bhp is... and a turbo is going to make MORE power across the powerband than a supercharger will... superchargers peak in low-end or high end... turbos can peak anywhere and given sufficient a/r they'll flow high cfm all the way to redline... superchargers won't do this; unless you have a centrifugal unit set up with a clutch system that limits the boost level at higher rpm which allows it to spool a lot faster instead of just a pure max boost at max rpm thing... and its going to cost a good bit more than $2000-$2500 i guarentee that
Old 05-07-02, 03:16 PM
808state
Driver

torque is going to get you off the line, horsepower will get you through the finish line.

bean-

although you have expressed you're your passion for turbos, let's not shoot down any supercharger ideas. although you do have valid points, force induction for a sc400 (kit wise) is still speculation until someone actually puts one together.

when someone does come out with one, no one is going to really care whether it's a turbo or s/c because they came out with a kit at hopefully a reasonable price.

i would think most lexus owners would just want a stage 1 (100 to 150 increase over flywheel hp) withhout having to modify an other external compent (i.e. transmission). in other terms, simple bolt on power (though fuel pump, injector, and ecu upgrade will probably be necessary).

from a marketing and economic standpoint, you're going to sell more units of stage 1 than to stage 2, 3 and so on. i guess economically speaking, past stage 1, you'd get a point of diminishing returns. you can build it, but profit wise, you'd have a greater markup because you're not going to get the volume of sales.

although turbos do use the wasted exhaust gas from a chemical reaction(a/f mixture) and superchargers use mechanical energy that an engine will have to produce and therefore, turbos would be more efficient. how you transform that source of energy to another will be the breaking point in developing a kit. you're more likely to sell a supercharger kit with less bolt on components than a turbo with many compents and many points of failures. just look at the mustang and how many simple bolt on supercharger kits and parts there are (paxton, vortech, ati, etc) and how little and produced twin tubo units there are (though i saw a pretty sweet one just recently) on the market. some of these mustang super charger units you can even install in 8 hours or less.

so the point i'm trying to make is, yes, we all know you love turbos, but if YOU had to supercharge a sc400 (which is what london bill was asking about) how would you do it? and could you put it in a kit form for say 5-6k or less? what about the ecu modifications (i know you like the greddy emanage..you don't have to tell me again).

yes, i know this is a turbocharge gs400/sc400 thread, but it kinda of died... maybe someone should have started another supercharger thread (moderator?).

sorry this is long but let's no forget, everyone is not from the united states. blown_sc400 is selling his unit for $$$ but is it us dollars or australian dollars. london bill was saying 2-2.5k but is that us dollars or the euro (is that you're currency). last time i checked, the exchange rate was pretty bad if you had the us dollar. mech tech might produce a kit for 9-10k (if they get enough interest...check out pete's informative site) usd but i doubt they're going to sell many kits for that price

although it's good to discuss forced induction for our cars, i still have a feeling (supercharged or turbocharged) someone will come out with a kit for this car within 2 years... btw, my friend who in currently building up 2 stangers, checked out pete's link to the 1uz-fe twin turbo site and said it was sick...but what he said about made me think a little "it's an expensive engine to blow." even though these engines have bulletproof reputations, all it takes is one $25 part to fail or a fuel leak somewhere, and you'd have a $$$$$$ mess...takaidesune?!?!

cheerio!

Last edited by 808state; 05-07-02 at 03:17 PM.
Old 05-07-02, 03:57 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

An s/c is easier to deal with.. I'm not spending 10 g's on the car, I'd rather start my Z RB26DETT project with that. If I could get 7-8 psi for 5k I'd be ok with that.
Old 05-07-02, 03:57 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Bean;

I think 808 has stated the case for a "low-power" entry level blower solution far more elegantly than I ever could, with the exception of needing hood scoops or bulges I dont think anything you have said is wrong. The options are diverse; 700+bhp twin turbo for big bucks or 450bhp max for small money, this is a choice for the individual user, not everyone wants drag car performance in their daily ride.

Quick Reply: Sc400 / Gs400 Turbo Kit