Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 / Gs400 Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-02, 04:21 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other thing that bugs me is that there's a lot of crooked outfits out there looking for a quick buck. If demand for something is strong enough a crooked individual or group will eventually pop up and offer it for a "discounted" price for all us special people. I'd be more inclined just to ask Leo to make a one-off setup simply because I can watch him make it and I know what I'm getting. So if a kit *was* made I'd have to trust whoever made it, also.. I'm not buying from people with phantom "shops" that won't give up dyno numbers and that kind of thing. Hell, it's happened to the best of us auto guys, some people on the Viper forums got ripped off by John Hennessey himself for over 100 grand. That's also why I've been bugging magazines to take more interest in the Lexus segment, since bigger well-known companies will start to feed the demand for upgrades.

While I'm at it- write places like Sport Compact Car, Import Tuner, etc tell them to look at the Lexus mod segment, people can only take so many different flavors of Honda.
Old 05-07-02, 04:43 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

MadMax;

While most of us are out to make a living there are a load of complete CoUNTS out there who will try to rip us off, I have no problem with a company charging a premium rate if they do a good job, we need forums like this to point out the good & bad guys.
Old 05-07-02, 05:42 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Default LS, GS & SC 400 TT

Gang,

Talked to a local Hi-Pro shop yesterday. He stated that have Twin T3 Ball Bearing and Watercooled fitted under the engine. More likely next to the tranny. He will reuse the stock manifold and weld a flange into it.

I really think this idea will work great, it will be totally a sleeper. You wont see anything on top. Intercooler will be front mount. I was wondering what size of injector i will need for the Twin T3. I also call SCE Gasket and they do make a copper head gasket for the 2UZ-FE engine. I would put it on just for insurance reasons.

Anyone know if ARP make head bolts for the 1UZFE engine? This is what i would like to have:

1. Twin T3 turbos
2. Upgrade Injectors 750cc or higher
3. Upgrade fuel pump
4. FMIC
5. SCE head gasket
6. ARP head bolts
7. ECU reprogram
8. MSD Ignition

I would like to pump at least 12 psi to 18 psi with proper tunning.
Old 05-07-02, 05:53 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much will the twin T3 cost and how much does it put out??? I think it's agreed that we all don't need to make 450rwhps powerhouses out of our SCs so we don't need $8000 kits. All I really need is 300-350 rwhps and I'll be happier than a Hindu cow. Anything quality around $4-5000??
Old 05-08-02, 07:12 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ball bearing T3s aren't really needed; it adds $500 to the cost of each turbo... twin T3s are gonna spool FAST on this motor...

if you drop the compression; that may be a different story; but i think a lot of the guys on here were looking at lower boost solutions... maybe the headgasket should be an option like it is in the SC3 turbo kits?

750 injectors aren't going to be needed unless you're pumping 800-1000hp... remember there's 8 of them
440s would be fine for 450rwhp; 550s would give some additional headroom... this may or may not require a custom fuel rail... i dunno

reprogrammed ECU; this is a good idea except there's no one that has experience in doing FI on a SC4; it would require a special reprogram... a piggyback unit like a Greddy emanage would be much better

And a FMIC adds drastically to the price of the kit too... twin SupraTT sidemounts would be cheaper and easier to mount and run piping for... if you got the money then let that be an option too

as far as the stock manifolds go; i wouldn't be welding them at all... first off... you know why people want to upgrade to headers right? the stock manifolds don't flow much; and FI needs some serious flow; the more you choke off; the lower the power...
and secondly, welding a stock manifold with a flange has always shown in the past to just end up leaking...
leaking can cause some serious trouble; take the fmax-kitted Supra at NOPI for instance... its manifold leaked and the car caught on fire...

Last edited by Bean; 05-08-02 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-08-02, 01:31 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

So any idea on how much money 300-350rwhps is gonna cost?
Old 05-09-02, 09:25 AM
healerhand
Lead Lap

The reason we are looking at ball bearing is because the distance from the turbo to the intercooler is a very far distance and lag will be once of the problems. We are using stock manifold because we dont have fab a new one. That will save more money. I like the idea of Supra TT side mount intercooler. Those are cheap. Many Supra guys are upgrading their turbo system and sell them very cheap. As far as injectors goes. I dont know the conversion from lbs/hr (domestic car) to cc.
Again, Supra guys are selling their 550cc injectors for cheap too.

The guy i talked to he said he can get T3 BB turbo from Japan for $600 each (used). If we can salvage other cars for parts then the price will be very low.
Old 05-09-02, 11:43 AM
808state
Driver

healerhand-

check out this thread. maximum boost from cocky bell is a recommended read.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=injector
Old 05-09-02, 02:12 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

used BB turbos? thats a BAD idea... BB turbos can't be rebuilt... you have to replace the cartridge which is the bulk of the price of a turbo... i wouldn't buy a used turbo unless i was making a ghetto budget car... and this is not an area to skimp on at first..

new T3 turbos are around $500-$600

the piping would not be too long with the sidemounts or the front mount... not enough to make any difference in the lag... trust me... if SupraTT guys run the piping they do on a stock sidemount; and have to jump to the OTHER side of the motor where the intake mani is; and they don't get any lag? then short piping on each side isn't going to cause any problems

come to think of it; T3s might be too big. T28s would suffice to make an easy 450rwhp and they'd spool fast... the problem is the T28 and T3 have totally different flanges.. there is a flange converter available for T25/28 flanges to T3 flanges though; the DSM crowd uses it some for the few that use T3/T4 turbos
Old 05-10-02, 03:45 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Bean,

For the LS 400, where would you mount the Intercoolers. Assuming we will re-used Supra TT stock intercooler. In the fender? Where is Supra TT intercooler located anyway. I have a friend with T3 in his Integra (i think he have a b20 block) The T3BB give full boost at 3500 rpm. He had T3/T4 but he said the lag is too high.

Can you image a cruise with two T3 and boosting about 15 psi? WOW. i love the low end torque and power. I dont plan to drag or high speed racing anyway. T3BB would be perfect. What is the stock Supra TT turbo size anyway. Maybe we can reused those too.
Old 05-11-02, 12:04 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

yeah i'm pretty sure the intercoolers would mount someway in the fenderwells..

low-end power? then don't get a T3BB... get a smaller T25 or T28, they will spool much faster... a T3 is a big turbo for a lower-revving 2.0L I4... you're friends integra has lots of rpm room to play with... IMO if we spool at 3500rpms, then its too slow...
twin T3s (non ballbearing mind you) at stock CR will spool around 3000rpms at 10psi i think... at 8.5:1 it'll be around 3500

twin T28s non-ballbearing would spool around 2500rpms on stock CR... i think twin T3s is a good idea, since it allows T3/T4s for people who want 700rwhp+, but not ballbearing T3s... it adds $1200 to the price of the turbos; and you can't rebuild them when they break; and they aren't needed here... hell if you really want the extra expense, then the kit can come with the manifolds; then the user can pick what turbos he wants

your friend with the integra has a wimpy 1.8L motor... now add .2L to that; then DOUBLE the engine size and turbo number...

cruising at 15psi? healerhand, I think you are grossly underestimating how much power two T3s will make... we're talking about 450rwhp at 10psi of boost on stock compression...
if you drop the compression to 8.5:1 and run the boost to 15 psi you're looking at a good 500-550rwhp... your transmission can't take that much and it will be a rolling traction problem with the open-diff... and also remember 15psi is a very low boost level... at 8.5:1 with sufficient ignition and fuel tuning, the car can push 19-21psi on pump gas... thats good for around 600-650rwhp
Old 05-11-02, 07:04 AM
healerhand
Lead Lap

hey bean,

do u think using the OEM manifold and weld flanges into it. Do u think it would work? I am thinking about putting the turbos under the engine, next to the tranny.
Old 05-11-02, 07:10 AM
healerhand
Lead Lap

check out this link

http://www.mustangweekly.com/2001/de...turbo/tt-2.asp
Old 05-11-02, 11:09 AM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

So are we going to hear numbers for the 350/450 hp price?? And how fast do you think that would make the car in terms of QMs and 0-60s?
Old 05-11-02, 11:23 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

350 at the wheels should put us in the low 12s.

Quick Reply: Sc400 / Gs400 Turbo Kit