Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 / Gs400 Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-02, 08:04 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nick, no problem bro. Max, you da man, let me know what Eric says, he's good people. SCV8, I don't personally believe the stock torque converter will be good to 450hp. The Supra converter is a bit different, and apparently more durable, but both autos are essentially the same otherwise, the valve bodies are calibrated differently, but they are both good to, as you said, 400-450hp. It'll be something to be able to bolt on a kit and get 400+ hp, and with some electronics and proper fuel, maybe 450 hp if we can get a VPC chip made, and that will hopefully net a high 11 with a valve body, a converter, and a decent tyre. Plus the smoothness and quick spooling with that silky 8, and think of how it'll sound, man o man. I suggest if you guys are serious, call Eric and show interest, and let's make this a reality.

Last edited by Lex Luthor; 04-05-02 at 08:35 PM.
Old 04-06-02, 09:28 AM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Max, did you call ELP?
Old 04-10-02, 08:23 AM
cloudnine
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo my V8

Man, if there's hope for a turbo for my 4.0, please let me know, before I go to N2O.
Old 04-10-02, 11:26 AM
jderry
Driver School Candidate

Default turbo sounds appealing....

Sorry for maybe putting a damper onto people's spirits; but, incorporating a turbo I think would be cost WAY MORE than really what someone should put into a car. I mean, someone correct me if I am wrong. But, incorporating the turbo and the FMIC would be the LEAST amount of problems I would think one would have to worry about.

First, from what I understand, every 1 PSI boost we would obtain, say running 6 PSI boost for normal and 11-15 PSI for kicking someone's butt, that would only get us up to maybe 60-150 HP, but that is at the fly and NOT RWHP. I think some people posted RWHP of 450-600?? I don't think that is achievable without getting into structural mods, ECU mods, etc. I mean most likely I think RWHP should not be the underlying concern. I think if a person is worried about 0-60 speeds, take out the spare, the back rear seat etc and NOS'ing the car and increasing TORQUE rather than RWHP would be better.

Second, there has to be a Fuel cut point, I imagine one would have to either reprogram the ECU, or bypass it completely. Then you have the problems with the A/F ratio's. I think you probably would need larger injectors, perhaps even a bigger and more efficient fuel pump.

Third, does everyone feel that the SC400 can handle the torque of a 500 RWHP beast? I mean, props to Lexus for making a great car, but I am not sure if they considered a car with this BOOST on this frame. I would think you would need to do some structural reinforcing for the engine mounts.

Fourth, I see heat being a huge problem with the SC400. One of the reasons this engine runs so smooth and idles so well, is because of the current setup. A FMIC, even assuming one can fit a SPEARCO, or worse yet, something fabricated out of Billy-bob's garage, you have the I/C piping to worry about, the BOV location, I mean unless someone is willing to cut vents into the hood to create an air scoop, I see heat being a problem.

Fifth, most likely you would also need to rebuild the head, at minimum, a 1.2 -2.0 preferably stopper metal headgasket.

Sixth, the transmission would most likely need to be realigned, hence, a tranmission upgrade. Most likely increasing the redline and gear ratio's.

Seventh, the current exhaust setup could pose problems for the turbo. One cat would most likely be eliminated, and the second cat would be a high-flo cat. To obtain OPTIMAL boost out of the setup, you basically would need a Straight DP to the exhaust, bypassing both cats, and mid-mufflers....creating a sound similar to the NASA space shuttle lifting off.

The only reason why I bring these items up, is that OKAY, assuming I can purchase a $5,000 bolt-on complete turbo kit (which I think realistically will cost $8,000 - $11,000). Why the hell would I not purchase a MKIV supra that has been BPU'ed, or an RX-7, or Mustang, etc. I mean if I put $8-$11K into a mustang, I would have one hella of a machine. True, not a lexus, but I think if we start with turboing the vehicle, we will run into other problems.

I would rather prefer a finely tuned exhaust setup specifically made for the SC400 and an intake setup. From my research on the web, no one has really done anything to substantiate their claims. I think RMM has a claim that it boosts HP and torque by 10-15 HP...but, if the RMM intake can't boost a MKIV or MKIII by 10-15 HP, how can it boost a NA V8 engine by that margin? I would also like to see some ways of reducing the weight.

I think a twin-turbo setup would be the EASIEST method, but I think a ball-bearing TO4 would be more preferable in the long run. The twin-turbo creates too much heat in my opinion compared to a T04 setup. I think a hood scoop like in the COBRA Mustang could be fabricated to fit the T04 "AND" provide a good method of sucking in cold air and dispersing the hot air.

I mean, I think the older generationer's know, and those that actually work on their own cars, adding a turbo, you need a FCD, bigger injectors, usually 720 CC, MHG, ARP head stud kit, ARP bolts, a better fuel pump, fuel lines, steel-braided brake lines, turbo timer, Profec A, or HKS Elec. boost controller, complete exhaust system, EGT gauge, A/F gauge, S-AFC (recommended definitely), exhaust, then you would have to have someone DYNO the car and fine-tune everything. I mean just these mods alone would probably cost about minimum$4000 if you do it yourself, to more than $8000 to have someone do it for you

This is assuming that the people you take it to, know the hell what they are doing. That's my personal opinion, I think a 50 or 75 shot of NOS is much simpler than a turbo setup....and I disagree with anyone that says NOS destroys an engine as compared to turboing a NA vehicle, both, if done properly, can achieve similar results.

I mean if a person is willing to put in minimum $10K, withmore likely $20K being the target, then sure. But, I don't think it is feasible for someone to "commercially" develop this product. I think doing an engine swap with the MKIV TT setup would be MUCH simpler than "making" a turbo for the SC400 engine. That's my personal opinion....please feel free to disagree....
Old 04-10-02, 11:43 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Nitrous is too temporary for me and the idea of refilling a bottle after a couple of runs is a nuisance. If I were to do it, I wouldn't settle for a mere 70 shots either. 150 fogger. Nitrous is a cheap trick too, no one respects a racer than wins with NOS alone.

If you want to reduce weight in the car, replace your front seats with a pair of fixed foam seats. That will make the most weight difference. After than would be carbon fiber hood and doors.

I believe Clint has already proven that the SC can withstand over 800hps at the crank.
Old 04-10-02, 11:44 AM
krypto
Driver

wel,l he made some really good points....
Old 04-10-02, 12:15 PM
jderry
Driver School Candidate

Default true NOS is temporary....

I have not seen Clark's?? setup that can withstand 800 RWHP, so I stand corrected on the frame issue withstanding the increased power. My interest in increasing the performance of the SC400 is not to beat people at race tracks or even street racing. Maybe others would disagree with me here; but, I think if someone made a commercially available BPU (intake, exhaust), and then a BPU + upgrade (intake, exhaust, ECU, TC) and maybe a BPU ++ .... I think SC400 owners would be really interested. I do not think it would take that much to make it available to LS400 owners either.

I think if someone put the time and money into showing EACH gain made with each modification done, people would be more prone to buy the product. I do not know about racing and the code of honor racers have, whether winning with NOS is considered cheap or not. I know for myself, I would be unwilling to spend more than $7K on modifications on my lexus. I think spending more than that would be foolish, I should just purchase an M3 or AMG instead of the lexus.

I think M3 has a huge following with Dinan making every product almost conceivable for the M3 to increase performance. I mean, correct me if I am wrong, but at least with Dinan, you do not need to send in your ECU chip or TC to have it upgraded. They merely send one out to you with a core charge if you do not return it. I think most people agree that sending in the ECU and TC to have it upgraded sucks. Maybe I am not as wealthy as some owners here, but I do not have 3 or four cars.

All I know is that Toyota is unleashing the MKV soon, it is "rumored" to be putting out 425 RWHP (that is STOCK) with a starting price of $35K, I would rather wait for that unit. It will have dual side airbags, etc.....plus imagine with just a normal BPU what that monster will put down. I was wondering is the SOARER turboed??? How did that configuration work...or is it only on the SC300???
Old 04-10-02, 03:19 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

jderry, pls forgive me, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
1. A pound of boost is worth more than 10 flywheel hp, that would be 7-8 rwhp, you're way off.
2. There is no fuel cut (it's not a Supra), and how would one completely bypass the ECU? And of course you need additional fuel, you're adding additional air!
3. Many have been past 500rwhp on this platform (essentially the same as the Supra since ya didn't know), the factory DID design this platform for boost, the JDM Soarer was available with a 2.5 litre TT 1JZ motor, and there is no chassis, it is a unitary construction, and no 'structural reinforcement for the motor mounts' needed.
5. Billy Bob's garage, hmmm. There's two heads, therefore two head gaskets, and a 1.0-2.0 what? millimeters? I believe that would give you more compression than the factory did.
6. How do I realign a transmission?
7. Didn't know a straight thru exhaust would give me 'optimal boost'

Next, no matter how much you put into a Mustang, it's still a Mustang, and let's both dump $15,000 into a turbo SC and a Mustang and see who goes faster. Moving along, an intake and exhaust do not compare to forced induction. Also, i'm not altogether surprised to hear you suggest that a Mustang Cobra hood scoop would go well with an SC (and i've had many Stangs, from a '67 Shelby coupe to a lightweight carbed Capri to a nitroused GT to a convertible with road race suspension). Next someone will want to bolt on a set of sidepipes . And why does installing a turbo require SS brake lines? And when do you 'usually' use 750cc injectors? That's alot of fuel. Oh, and it's Clint, not Clark, you don't know who he is? That's like being a baseball fan and not knowing who Reggie Jackson is. And lastly, if you want to buy a Bimmer because Dinan doesn't have a core charge, then enjoy your new ride
Old 04-10-02, 05:00 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

I guess I'll chime in here.
I agree wholeheartedly with lex400sc on the N2O issue. I would much rather have the power under the hood than to have to wonder whether I have enough N2O left to spray. Plus, I don't see a situation where you would use N2O for daily driving.

The stock head handled 800+ rwhp in SRT's 1UZFE GS400. I don't see why anyone would have to modify the head in the 1UZFE SC400 for only ~400+ rwhp. No one should have to worry about the transmission holding up until you get to around 450 rwhp. This is typical toyota, the SC is overbuilt (which is a great thing!)

I could have bought an M3... but I see those everywhere and I haven't seen one Lexus V8 TT.

The cold hard truth about the pre-98 1UZFE Lexii is that you will not get sufficient hp through I/H/E/ECU. A full exhaust upgrade (headers on down), air intake, ECU (weaponR or ignition timing plus AFC) and with all that I think you will be slightly slower than a 98+ GS400 at a cost of about 3000$. Why not spend double that on a turbo system that would end up demolishing a 98+ 1UZFE. I've looked into all of these upgrades (bought most) and will do the ones that enhance the turbo experience and sell of the ones that don't. If you have any questions on these upgrades then I can give answers... That's why I would rather pay double the I/H/E/ECU combo and go turbo. 3k for high 14's or 6k for high 11's.
Old 04-10-02, 05:27 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Intake doesn't do jack, exhaust doesn't do jack. Those are mainly noise making toys on N/A cars. The ECU/chip and TC upgrades are too expensive for the slight gains you get in return (IMHO).

I don't see the logic in getting an Dinan M3 for $60,000 instead of just spending $16,000 on a stock SC400, $7000 on a turbo kit, and building an M3-eater for $23,000. Now if you wanna be fair, see how far you you can go with a $16,000 SC400 with $44,000 in change from the M3. I could probably build a car that is faster, handles better, and is more reliable than 99.99% of the cars on the road. Now going the same route with an SC300 with $46,000 in fun money would be chilling. Hey that would actually be fair since they are both I-6 motors.

AMG is an even worse example. Oh and BMW motors can't handle high horsepower.

So tell me how can you go wrong with a turbo Lexus?
Old 04-10-02, 05:57 PM
SCV8
Instructor

Yeah,some thicker copper headgaskets would be do-able,since the stock ones are metal anyways.
Why would you want to raise the rev limiter on an electronic auto the already short shifts the existing rev limiter?
I saw a blown SC(dark green) that was here in WA state,supposedly had 550hp,drivetrain was completely stock,had no problems, a very smooth driver ,or...
Didn't we have this topic on here before?
Ford and GM use blowers for their current boosted engines,figure that it's for a reason,maybe that it's alot easier to do or something like that.I know they spent some time on it anyways.
A roots unit up over the passenger cam cover should work great,giving,say 400hp/7psi using stock timing,additional injectors for boost fueling,stock ecu.You'd be more likely to pass smog with the integral,idle/cruise bypass valves now available also.
More than 400hp,and the turbos tend to really shine,but for the average upgrade,I'd figured that the blower was the way to go.
Then I woke up.
Old 04-10-02, 06:19 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Wasn't it the rods or crank that couldn't take the abuse on a 1UZ?

I'm sure MO knows what breaks first on the V-8. As far as boost gains, I'd expect 15rwhp per pound of boost as long as the compression is kept 9.5:1 or even a little higher and you can lock the torque convertor to keep from leaking rwhp.

As far as cooling is concerned, couldn't you just run two small T4s and feed each with a Supra TT sidemount in each of the side inlets in the bumper? Pretty simple and inexpensive for the used side mounts.

Used V-8s are getting cheaper and more plentiful in the junk yards. Someone with some time and dexterity should be able to make something like this work. Its not going to be cost efficient until somebody develops a kit and makes molds for the hard stuff like manifolds and mandrel bends on the pipes.
Old 04-10-02, 06:28 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Scott, I couldn't agree with you more, and that dual Supra sidemount IC setup is a good idea, never thought of that. From what I can tell, the rods and crank are nice forged units, as well as the pistons, the stock reciprocating assy should be able to take some atmosphere no problem, despite the fact that compression is actually a little bit higher than the GE.
- Jon
Old 04-10-02, 06:55 PM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Lex Luthor
Scott, I couldn't agree with you more, and that dual Supra sidemount IC setup is a good idea, never thought of that. From what I can tell, the rods and crank are nice forged units, as well as the pistons, the stock reciprocating assy should be able to take some atmosphere no problem, despite the fact that compression is actually a little bit higher than the GE.
- Jon
Yeah dual or "Twin" intercoolers are a very good idea. That setup was used on Twin Turbo Maseratis.
Old 04-10-02, 09:08 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry I've been delinquent here.. been taking CCNA and MCSE classes/tests, studying 12 hrs a day so I can get a job that'll pay for all this stuff. Thinking of you, Wiz Anyway, I totally forgot about ELP and honestly I don't have the time to really deal with this at the moment. If the 400 kit isn't more than 10k I'll consider it, but I'm already saving for a Skyline GT-R (coming to a dealer near you in 2004). With 4 years before the first smog here I'm gonna mod the ****** out of the GT-R, but that also means I'm gonna have the SC400 for 2 more years at least.
Anyway, build it and I'll buy it. Back to studying.

Quick Reply: Sc400 / Gs400 Turbo Kit