Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 / Gs400 Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-02, 06:54 PM
Lex Luthor
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sc400 / Gs400 Turbo Kit

OK, here's the deal, Ethan Banks knows a skilled welder and a fabricator, he's willing to invest the time and money to R&D a turbocharger kit for the 1UZ-FE V8 in the SC400, and possibly the GS400. He will only start the process if you guys show a genuine interest though, it's obviously got to be worth his effort, so all you SC4 owners lookin' for forced induction, speak up!
- Jon
Old 03-19-02, 10:20 PM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess it all depends on whether this kit will be worth the money. Maybe Ethan Banks should have one done on his car and show us the improvements. Because all we know, it would be like the Mech-Tech project which was not worth it from what I've read.

But i'm in if it's a big improvement!

Tony
Old 03-19-02, 10:29 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs up

I'm DEFINITELY in if the price to power ratio is reasonable. Thumbs up to the welder for agreeing to the project regardless.
Old 03-19-02, 11:27 PM
importtoys
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by lex400sc
I'm DEFINITELY in if the price to power ratio is reasonable. Thumbs up to the welder for agreeing to the project regardless.
DITTO
Old 03-19-02, 11:50 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How would that work for LS400s?
Old 03-20-02, 12:50 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by retrodrive
How would that work for LS400s?
Should work just the same for you I assume. We do have the same motor after all. The only thing I'd imagine different is fitment under the hood or around auxilary devices next to the engine block.
Old 03-20-02, 12:57 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

I'll buy it if it's CARB certified or if I can find a shady shop.. if I moved out of CA I'd buy it the day I moved.
Old 03-20-02, 11:43 AM
mjames08
Pole Position

Originally posted by MadMaxSC400
I'll buy it if it's CARB certified or if I can find a shady shop.. if I moved out of CA I'd buy it the day I moved.
I am interested.. but I still have a warranty on my car. After that I am definately getting one!!
Old 03-20-02, 12:29 PM
krypto
Driver

I'd be willing to pay around 5k for the sweetness of turbo......

Wouldn't supercharging be easier? (don't flame me, just askin)
Old 03-20-02, 12:56 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

Okay guys, you let me know what kind of features and capabilities you would want.

Also, would you guys want single or twins?

-Ethan
Old 03-20-02, 01:03 PM
cupete
Pole Position

What's cheaper and easier and reliable and produce more HP and etc. etc. ? Single or Twin?

I would prefer a large single over two small turbos. How is the heat going to be handled? I don't think you can fit an intercooler into SC400.
Old 03-20-02, 01:13 PM
Francis K
Racer

Default hey.....

post this in the GS forum as well....
Old 03-20-02, 02:08 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

twins would be the easiest to do

2 into 1 manifolds are notorious for being hard to fabricate; plus i'm not sure of size restrictions

For turbos I'd recommend these things:

Either some kind of mass-produced Mitsubishi or Garret turbo

The T28/T25 hybrid turbo is an excellent choice for twins and can develop around 550rwhp on the 4.0L V8 with sufficient boost

on low boost applications I'd recommend twin Garret turbos (preferrably T25s) with a low A/R

twin T25s at low boost with a FMIC would provide around 450-475rwhp I'd think; possibly more

If you guys want any more suggestions let me know, I come from the 300zx crowd and we can only do twins so its kinda like excess knowledge of mine not being used
Old 03-20-02, 02:47 PM
Ebanks
Lexus Champion

The only thing I am concerned about is the transmission. Does anyone know how durable that tranny is? 400-450 RWHP on pump gas should be EASILY attainable. Depending on how strong we find the stock bottom end to be I don't see why 550-600 RWHP on race gas would be out of the question, but I guess we will just have to wait and see. I would like to see the kit with turbos that would flow EFFICIENTLY enough for 600-650 RWHP at not more than 25psi, and still spool very quickly. We could probably make a street kit which would spool even quicker (read STUPID QUICK), and only flow for 500ish RWHP for less money though, but if you are going through the trouble why not get it done right the first time

Let me tell everyone ahead of time though that I WILL NOT use cheap parts like deltagates, regular clamps, greddy type-s bovs, etc.

If I make a kit for everyone it will be with T-Bolt clamps for all the I/C pipes, Vband on the turbo and wastegate, more than likely HKS or Tial for the wastegate, and probably something along the lines of HKS Racing BOV or HKS Super Sequential. Everything will be high temp coated on the hot side of the deal, and either painted or powder coated on the cool side.

I refuse to use parts I wouldn't personally use. Is this cool with everyone, or are you guys looking for something a little lower quality/cheaper?

Let me know what YOU GUYS want out of this kit, and what type of things you would like to see included and what type of things you would rather just get on your own.

Also, like I said guys this would take a few months to do (probably like 4-6 months), and if things go right I should have a dyno by then anyways (hopefully), so I could provide dyno charts on the kit, as well as baseline numbers, a/f graphs, etc.

-Ethan
Old 03-20-02, 02:56 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

High quality parts only please. A question in regards to the 98+ SC400/GS400 owners, will this turbo bolt right in the same as a pre-98 V-8s? Is it pretty much the same engine with VVTI? I'm sure it'd be easier to meet the volume of production needed if we get GS and LS owners involved. Please don't let this project die out like the other ones did!!!

Quick Reply: Sc400 / Gs400 Turbo Kit